Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What qualities?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What qualities?

    What qualities do you look for in a 3-4 defensive end?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Fitzgerald11 View Post
    What qualities do you look for in a 3-4 defensive end?
    Wow, I think you have started as many threads as you have replied in them... Anyway, I believe it is speed, speed, speed. You need speed to rush off the end or quickly drop back in coverage. I love the 3-4 DE because not only do they rush the QB by being able to have more speed and agility to get around a TE or OT (compared to a 4-3 DE), but they also are able to man up against a TE much more than a 4-3 OLB if needed.


    Originally posted by Halsey
    I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Turtlepower View Post
      Wow, I think you have started as many threads as you have replied in them... Anyway, I believe it is speed, speed, speed. You need speed to rush off the end or quickly drop back in coverage. I love the 3-4 DE because not only do they rush the QB by being able to have more speed and agility to get around a TE or OT (compared to a 4-3 DE), but they also are able to man up against a TE much more than a 4-3 OLB if needed.
      I think you're thinking 3-4 OLB.

      Comment


      • #4
        ya, you were thinking 3-4 OLB.

        a 3-4 DE is basically a NT in the 4-3 defense. you need someone who can hold up at the line and can occupy blockers so that the LBs can make plays. richard seymour, who plays DT when the pats play the 4-3, is the ideal 3-4 end

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by rainbeaukid2 View Post
          ya, you were thinking 3-4 OLB.

          a 3-4 DE is basically a NT in the 4-3 defense. you need someone who can hold up at the line and can occupy blockers so that the LBs can make plays. richard seymour, who plays DT when the pats play the 4-3, is the ideal 3-4 end
          Yeah I was, my bad. But rainbeau hit the nail on the head. They are more for clogging up the line rather than stopping runners, such is the job of a 3-4 DT.


          Originally posted by Halsey
          I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by rainbeaukid2 View Post
            ya, you were thinking 3-4 OLB.

            a 3-4 DE is basically a NT in the 4-3 defense. you need someone who can hold up at the line and can occupy blockers so that the LBs can make plays. richard seymour, who plays DT when the pats play the 4-3, is the ideal 3-4 end
            What about speed? Are they normally slower than 4-3 defensive tackles?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Fitzgerald11 View Post
              What about speed? Are they normally slower than 4-3 defensive tackles?
              Depends... Some 3-4 DE's run sub 5 second 40's.

              It's more about power/explosion. You want a guy 2 do 2 things from this position..

              1) Hold the point: Keep the OL off the playmaking LB's
              2) Collapse the pocket: not only keeping the OL off the LB's, but also collapsing the pocket will let the LB's get in there more for sacks, giving the QB less of a comfort zone.

              Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Fitzgerald11 View Post
                What about speed? Are they normally slower than 4-3 defensive tackles?
                it depends, UTs are faster DTs in the 4-3 because they penetrate. NTs in the 4-3 don't need to be fast cuz they take up space therefore 3-4 DEs don't need to be fast, they just need to be pretty strong

                Comment


                • #9
                  Dude you really need to stop making so many threads.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Man_Of_Steel View Post
                    Dude you really need to stop making so many threads.
                    How does my making threads concern you?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Man_Of_Steel View Post
                      Dude you really need to stop making so many threads.
                      Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome GiantRutgersFan v2.0!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Fitzgerald11 View Post
                        How does my making threads concern you?
                        You making threads concerns everyone. We all have to see them.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by badgerbacker View Post
                          You making threads concerns everyone. We all have to see them.
                          Not if you block me.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Fitzgerald11 View Post
                            What qualities do you look for in a 3-4 defensive end?
                            tall (between 6-3 and 6-7), with really long arms, good enough strength to bull rush guards and tackles, usually between 280 and 320 lbs. They have to be quick and agile for big guys. Most of them play DT in a 4-3. Basically a long, tall, DT who is good in the 2 gap at taking up blockers to stop the run, and if he can collapse the pocket from the outside in that is a bonus. Just watch Richard Seymour, Luis Castillo, or Aaron Smith really...that's what you want. Trevor Pryce has the skills too, but he didn't/doesn't really play in a 3-4 in Denver and now Baltimore

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Do you think Frank Okam would be a good 3-4 defensive end?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information