DeSean Jackson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeSean Jackson

We're bound to be bombarded with a few DeSean Jackson threads following his beastly performance today and to come, so let's beat 'em to the punch and have one good thread for this year's number one wide receiving prospect.

Two years or so ago, I heard the tripe from a Michigan homer on this board that Mario Manningham was the next Marvin Harrison, but thankfully that died down when reality set in. However if any prospect could be the next Marvin Harrison, it's Jackson I think.

His playing speed, route-running, hands, receiving ability, and character are exceptional. Maybe Jackson will be unable to put weight on his frame which has been the case with Harrison, but as he continues to develop in his craft, Jackson is going to further abuse defensive backs. He put on a clinic today in a huge game, in a hostile environment.

I was a big fan of Teddy Ginn, the Human Highlight, but DeSean Jackson is a better prospect than him imo. That doesn't mean Jackson will be drafted sooner than Ginn did at ninth overall in 2007, every draft is different and has its own quirks (ex. Ronnie Brown was and Darren McFadden will be drafted sooner than Adrian Peterson did, but AD is the better prospect).

Discuss.
    Last edited by Geo; 09-29-2007, 08:45 PM.
    Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

With the first pick of the NFL Draft, the Atlanta Falcons select DeSean Jackson.

Thad be pretty awesome.

I dont know if you can compare him to Harrison. Harrison is alot more polished in route running. The only thing comparable is is their weight and height, none of which are supreme. DeSean Jackson is way more explosive than Marvin Harrison, and would be a much bigger playmaker.

I think Steve Smith and Jackson are comparable, but Jackson isnt as tough as Smith, though he is pretty tough for a guy who weighs like 170.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

it aint a diss, but D-Jac has the same Body as Todd Pinkston, hoepfully he doesnt devolp T-rex arms when he gets to the NFL

Comment

if u go by BPA hes a top 5 pick

Comment

I hope the Titans trade up to get him. Imagine him and Vince on the same offense.

Comment

Top 20 pick probably, top 10 pick no. Ted Ginn Jr. is hurting Jackson's draft stock. Comparisons will be drawn between the two, and it's apparent Ginn was overdrafted. Jackson is more of a playmaker than a receiver. He lacks ideal size, he's not a polished route runner, and he's not a guy who will make plays over the middle. He is listed at 172 pounds and his strength is his speed and athletism, so adding a bunch of weight would really only take away from his strengths. Alot of comparison could be made between Jackson and "Rocket" Ismail. Those type of college receivers just don't have great track records in the NFL. If speed and athletic ability was all it took to play WR in the NFL there would be alot more track athletes succeeding in the league. I know most of you will disagree with me, but Jackson isn't the first player with this type of skill set I've seen come down the pike. It's easy to get caught up in the success these guys have on the college level, but the NFL is a very different game/league. That said, now let the bashing begin from you teenage experts.

note: Prior to his 11 catch 161 yard performance today he had 17 catches for 151 yards in his first 4 games. Basically he's averaging 5 catches for 60 yards per game (with today inflating that avg.) Equate that to the NFL and he'd be a 3 catch for 40 yards per game guy...not worth a top 10 pick in my book.
            Last edited by darnik44two; 09-30-2007, 01:49 AM.

Comment

I think, as of now, he's a mid-first pick as well. I'm not sure I see a top 10 WR, but that said, the top of this draft, IMO, sucks, so who knows. Of the top WR's, he certainly has one of the better chances to go top 10, but I just don't see it. He'd really have to put up some amazing numbers to force his way in, and I'm just not sure. I mean, the OP compares him to Harrison, and Harrison was, what, 19, off the top.

On a side note, while I wasn't a huge fan of Peterson, I did like him better than Brown as a prospect, from relative points. As of now, I still like McFadden better than Peterson, which is rare, as I'm usually wary of tall RB's. That said, I think McFadden does a good job of protecting his body, so it'll come down to his times.

Comment

I'm a big Jackson fan, and I don't really think he's a top 10 caliber wideout. Where he ends up will be another matter, especially if he finishes the season strong and posts the strong numbers he's expected to at the combine, as I agree with toonster that the top of this draft doesn't look all that spectacular.

I don't think he's as precise as Harrison, and I think he still could use a lot of work as a go to receiver, but I like him a lot more than I ever liked Ginn in regards to the pro level.

Comment

Its about time he actually did something recieving this year

Comment

Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
                    Keep in mind that he's had a injured right thumb since the Tennessee game and has said that this was the first week it's felt alright. Catching without your thumb isn't exactly easy.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
                      Ding! winna

Comment

I love DeSean Jackson. He is the prospect that Ted Ginn was supposed to be. I'll be really surprised if he's not in my Top 5-10 overall players when all is said and done.
                        Scott Wright, President
                        Draft Countdown.com
                        www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
                        www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by darnik44two View Post
                          note: Prior to his 11 catch 161 yard performance today he had 17 catches for 151 yards in his first 4 games. Basically he's averaging 5 catches for 60 yards per game (with today inflating that avg.) Equate that to the NFL and he'd be a 3 catch for 40 yards per game guy...not worth a top 10 pick in my book.
                          You can't just plug someone's numbers into a formula and call it NFL-adjusted or you'd never have any elite players; everyone would just be marginalized versions of their college selves. I understand your point, but the logic used to get there doesn't quite bridge the gap.

Comment

Originally posted by Race for the Heisman View Post
                            You can't just plug someone's numbers into a formula and call it NFL-adjusted or you'd never have any elite players; everyone would just be marginalized versions of their college selves. I understand your point, but the logic used to get there doesn't quite bridge the gap.
                            I hear what you're saying, I didn't really have any systematic approach with that other than the fact he's not getting open alot at the college level. so to me at the NFL level a guy like that will have even less production. Guys that put up big numbers in college should continue to do so in the NFL. I'm not wording this well, just trust me I've seen this type of prospect countless times.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Wright View Post
                              I love DeSean Jackson. He is the prospect that Ted Ginn was supposed to be. I'll be really surprised if he's not in my Top 5-10 overall players when all is said and done.
                              That statement I put in bold sums up part of what I was saying about Jackson. Do you agree that Ginn's lack of success will in a way hurt Jackson draft position because the comparisons will certainly be drawn. To me these types of prospect are so hard to translate to the next level. I personally think the risk is too high to take a guy like that in the top 10. Ginn was overdrafted and I knew that as soon as it happened. The memory of that pick will be fresh in the minds of GM's.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information