Jonathan Stewart

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jonathan Stewart

I know if this guy declares he can become the second best running back but do you guys think this guy can fall to Green Bay laps unlike Lynch did? and who do you think is the better running back him or Lynch?

Also how tall is this guy? he listed at 5''11 and 230 but is he 5''9?
    Last edited by PACKmanN; 10-02-2007, 05:13 PM.

The way Green Bay is playing and the way Stewart has been running the last 5 weeks indicates that he'll likely go before Green Bay picks. A lot can still happen, but I wouldn't count on him falling into their laps.

As for who is better between him and Lynch, I still think Lynch was more consistent, intense, and had better instincts on the field. Stewart would be the better athlete between the two in my estimation.

Comment

Originally posted by PACKmanN View Post
      I know if this guy declares he can become the second best running back but do you guys think this guy can fall to Green Bay laps unlike Lynch did? and who do you think is the better running back him or Lynch?

I know what you mean but thats a weird way of putting it.

I just picture you in the supermarket walking to the manager:

'also, what is this? It says milk but is it yoghurt?'

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
      don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

I was saying he's a top ten pick a year ago, and I'm still saying it now.

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

I doubt he's actually 5'9", but if he somehow did come in at that height, it would hurt his draft stock quite a bit IMO.

Originally posted by Jakey
          WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!

Comment

Originally posted by ironman4579 View Post
            I doubt he's actually 5'9", but if he somehow did come in at that height, it would hurt his draft stock at least a bit IMO.
            Why is that? Runningback's don't need to be tall, and if Stewart is a legitimate 5-9 230 with his find of foot quickness, then I think that might even help his cause.

Comment

Originally posted by Vikes99ej View Post
              I was saying he's a top ten pick a year ago, and I'm still saying it now.
              if lynch didnt make top 10 a year ago how could u expect stewart who i dont think is as good to be there

Comment

I'm not sure if he is definitely the 2nd best running back. Whether or not he can fall to the Packers sorta depends on where the Packers pick, don't ya think? It is only a few games in ... it seems like you are assuming a mid-20's pick or so for the Packers, which certainly can happen, but let's not get too far ahead.

But playing the hypothetical for a second ... sure I think he could fall to the Packers in the mid-20's. Steven Jackson fell a bit as he was being nitpicked for a variety of things, time amongst it. If he fails to run a stellar time (say, mid-4.4 at that size), his stock is definitely up in the air.

Comment

Originally posted by 619 View Post
                  if lynch didnt make top 10 a year ago how could u expect stewart who i dont think is as good to be there
                  All it takes is one team to fall in love... case in point... Ted Ginn. Just kidding.

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                    Why is that? Runningback's don't need to be tall, and if Stewart is a legitimate 5-9 230 with his find of foot quickness, then I think that might even help his cause.
                    Keep in mind when I say quite a bit, I don't necessarily mean like from early/mid first to like mid second or third round. I was thinking like from mid 1st to late first. I just think that when scouts think a guy is a certain height or weight, or runs a certain 40 time etc, and then the number ends up being a decent amount below what they are expecting, it's always going to hurt.

I also think Stewart has been somewhat inconsistent in his career thus far, and I believe has had a few minor injuries etc. I think scouts are willing to overlook that a little more for the "prototypical" RB. But if(and I really don't think it's going to happen) he came out as 5'9," He'd be somewhat below "prototypical" height for a RB, and I think scouts and teams would be a little less inclined to overlook perceived shortcomings because of it.

I think you can look at a couple of examples. DeAngelo Williams went at the end of the first round(admittedly in a very strong draft). He was, I believe 5'9", 217, and ran a 4.4 with and 4.48 against the wind at his pro day. He was the NCAA all time leader in all purpose yards, most 100 yard games, and 4th all time in rushing yardage. I firmly believe that had he been 5'11", he would have gone higher, although his level of competition was probably a bigger factor as well as the strength of said draft.

Stewart will most likely go for over 1,000 yards this season. But he hasn't gone for over 1,000 in a season yet, and his average YPC up until this season hasn't been all that special(according to ESPN) at 3.5, and 5.4 YPC. I think as of this moment his draft stock is predicated largely on his prototypical size, weight, and speed. I think if you take one of those away, and suddenly he's 5'9" instead of 5'11", his draft stock will at least take something of a hit. Whether a couple of spots, or 10 spots, I don't know. But I firmly believe it would hurt him at least a bit.

Keep in mind, I really like Stewart alot. I'm just saying I think suddenly losing 2 inches would hurt his stock.
                    Last edited by ironman4579; 10-02-2007, 07:36 PM.

Comment

I love this kid....I think he's better than Lynch, but may get drafted lower. Because this is a stronger draft class......Assuming many of the JR's come out.

Comment

I doubt he's actually 5'9", but if he somehow did come in at that height, it would hurt his draft stock quite a bit IMO.
                        Based on observation and personal experience, shorter running backs are harder to tackle than taller ones. Stocky backs like Stewart are very desirable as they have a low center of gravity, bounce of tackles easily, and are difficult to wrap. Look at MJD, LT & Michael Turner. They're all stocky explosive runners like Stewart. Height shouldn't be a factor in draft stock unless a guy is under 5'6 or above 6'0.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by etk View Post
                          Based on observation and personal experience, shorter running backs are harder to tackle than taller ones. Stocky backs like Stewart are very desirable as they have a low center of gravity, bounce of tackles easily, and are difficult to wrap. Look at MJD, LT & Michael Turner. They're all stocky explosive runners like Stewart. Height shouldn't be a factor in draft stock unless a guy is under 5'6 or above 6'0.
                          I totally agree with you honestly. I'm not saying it would hurt him in my eyes. What I am saying is that suddenly losing 2 inches at the combine or at a pro day would hurt him at least a little bit. I also think if he comes in at 5'9", he'll come in weighing less than 230 as well. I'm also not saying it would hurt him as a player. I just think it would cause him to slide a bit. Again, it might only be a couple places. Perhaps I shouldn't have said "quite a bit." Again, I don't think it really matters anyway, since I doubt he comes in at 5'9" anyway.
                          Last edited by ironman4579; 10-02-2007, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Keep in mind when I say quite a bit, I don't necessarily mean like from early/mid first to like mid second or third round. I was thinking like from mid 1st to late first. I just think that when scouts think a guy is a certain height or weight, or runs a certain 40 time etc, and then the number ends up being a decent amount below what they are expecting, it's always going to hurt.

I also think Stewart has been somewhat inconsistent in his career thus far, and I believe has had a few minor injuries etc. I think scouts are willing to overlook that a little more for the "prototypical" RB. But if(and I really don't think it's going to happen) he came out as 5'9," He'd be somewhat below "prototypical" height for a RB, and I think scouts and teams would be a little less inclined to overlook perceived shortcomings because of it.

I think you can look at a couple of examples. DeAngelo Williams went at the end of the first round(admittedly in a very strong draft). He was, I believe 5'9", 217, and ran a 4.4 with and 4.48 against the wind at his pro day. He was the NCAA all time leader in all purpose yards, most 100 yard games, and 4th all time in rushing yardage. I firmly believe that had he been 5'11", he would have gone higher, although his level of competition was probably a bigger factor as well as the strength of said draft.

Stewart will most likely go for over 1,000 yards this season. But he hasn't gone for over 1,000 in a season yet, and his average YPC up until this season hasn't been all that special(according to ESPN) at 3.5, and 5.4 YPC. I think as of this moment his draft stock is predicated largely on his prototypical size, weight, and speed. I think if you take one of those away, and suddenly he's 5'9" instead of 5'11", his draft stock will at least take something of a hit. Whether a couple of spots, or 10 spots, I don't know. But I firmly believe it would hurt him at least a bit.

Keep in mind, I really like Stewart alot. I'm just saying I think suddenly losing 2 inches would hurt his stock.
                            I really doubt any scout with half a brain would knock Stewart for being 2 inches shorter than his school listed him. Height only really tends to be an issue for runningbacks when the runner is too tall (exposing him to big hits and making it harder to get low) or if the runner is so short that he cannot carry enough weight (Garrett Wolfe says hello). In Stewart's case, neither apply.

Also, since when is 5-11 the prototypical height for a runningback? Additionally, considering that height is probably less important for runningbacks than any other position, consider how much 2 inches really is. Finally, consider that we're talking about a complete shot in the dark guess as to his real height. If he measures in a 5-10, does he fall half as far as if he came in a 5-9. What if he measure at 6-0? Does his stock rise.

Vision, strength, durability, speed, weight, and a good deal more attributes are vastly more important to a running prospect than height will ever be.

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
                              I really doubt any scout with half a brain would knock Stewart for being 2 inches shorter than his school listed him. Height only really tends to be an issue for runningbacks when the runner is too tall (exposing him to big hits and making it harder to get low) or if the runner is so short that he cannot carry enough weight (Garrett Wolfe says hello). In Stewart's case, neither apply.

Also, since when is 5-11 the prototypical height for a runningback? Additionally, considering that height is probably less important for runningbacks than any other position, consider how much 2 inches really is. Finally, consider that we're talking about a complete shot in the dark guess as to his real height. If he measures in a 5-10, does he fall half as far as if he came in a 5-9. What if he measure at 6-0? Does his stock rise.

Vision, strength, durability, speed, weight, and a good deal more attributes are vastly more important to a running prospect than height will ever be.
                              I completely agree with you. As I said, I doubt he'll come in at 5'9" anyway. But again, he really hasn't been tremendously consistent so far in his career. So I think that yes, losing 2 inches could hurt him at least a bit. It's basically a moot point anyway, because even if his stock slips or goes up, we'll probably never really know because where he gets drafted is where he gets drafted. No one's going to say "well, we would have drafted X player but he was too light or too short or too slow." Anyway, just my personal opinion of what can happen when a players supposed measurables change to something else. Yet again, it probably won't matter anyway, because I doubt there's that much of a discrepancy anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information