Jets Drop from #3 to #6

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jets Drop from #3 to #6

In case you didn't realize it the Jets dropped from the #3 overall pick to #6 by beating Kansas City in their meaningless Week 17 game.

If you are interested in how I feel about the situation check out my latest blog entry, where I kind of went off on a rant:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/blog/wrightstuff.html
    Scott Wright, President
    Draft Countdown.com
    www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
    www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

good entry another thing to note that you didnt touch upon is that KC/OAK/ATL all need DTs and im not talking dorsey/ellis(doubt they have interest) im talking possibly losing a shot at Dre Moore or okam in the second.

Comment

Originally posted by furiousgod View Post
      good entry another thing to note that you didnt touch upon is that KC/OAK/ATL all need DTs and im not talking dorsey/ellis(doubt they have interest) im talking possibly losing a shot at Dre Moore or okam in the second.
      Lots of man-crushes (prospect-crushes?) on Dre Moore around these parts... :)

F.Y.I. Mr. Moore is going to be at the Senior Bowl.
      Scott Wright, President
      Draft Countdown.com
      www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
      www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Wright View Post
        Lots of man-crushes (prospect-crushes?) on Dre Moore around these parts... :)

F.Y.I. Mr. Moore is going to be at the Senior Bowl.
        haha your right, i probably have one of the biggest man crushes here on Dre Moore =)
        Didnt know he was going to the senior bowl, cant wait to see more of him.

Comment

Pretty strong words but I agree with every single one.

I'm going toss my hat in the man-crush ring. Mine is Jonathan Goff.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
          WHO DAT!

Comment

I was officially rooting for Rams losses after their 0-8 start, though I was really thinking losses were for the best after Week 3. I saw where the Rams season was heading.

I'd much rather be 3-13 than 4-12.

I'm pleased the Rams are the only 3-13 team, so they'll keep the second pick in every round.
            Last edited by PossumBoy9; 01-03-2008, 01:37 AM.

Comment

The second a coach tells their players not play they lose any and all credibility.

As a jets fan I am actually glad we won that game. Even though we are out of the running for DMac there will still be quality players left at 6 and ending the season on a high note was worth the drop of 3 spots in the draft. I would never root for my team to lose, especially a young team coming up like the jets.

The unspoken advantage to winning - The contract of the player they choose at #6 will be far less than that of the player chosen at #3. Less guaranteed money to a player who has never done anything in the NFL can definitely be a good thing.

Comment

I think you're way wrong on this one. I can understand why a team would want to tank, but what if it was considered acceptable and you had games like say the Jets vs the Chiefs in which both teams were trying to lose? How unprofessional and lame would that be? No thanks. Teams should just try to win every game and not think about the draft during the season. If a team is run right they will find a way to get good players. Losers will find a way to lose no matter how high they pick.

Comment

Jets, Jets, Jets... :sigh:

but, "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!"

Comment

sure is gonna be fun to see who oakland picks if they get that 3rd pick..

Lane is always on sirius radio and a couple weeks ago they asked him what he wanted for christmas and he said that running back from arkansas..

but i want Oakland to get Dre Moore in the second..he is what the raiders need at that DT position..
                    Derrick Morgan > All

Comment

btw, when you say the Jets need Jake Long, which side of the line do the Jets need him? Would they most likely put him at right tackle to replace Clement or put him at LT and move Ferguson? How has Ferguson done with the Jets. I've heard little about him since he was drafted. I seem to remember hearing somewhere they he hasn't been the franchise LT he was supposed to be, but I have no idea if that's true.

Comment

I'm actually not all that unhappy with our drop down to the 6th selection. Granted, we aren't definitely going to get a player like we would have at 3, but it really doesn't put us in very bad shape.

For one, although I don't believe there is any quarterback in the draft worth a top 5 pick I do believe somebody will end up going top 5, simply because of the franchise QB rule and for financial reasons as well.

Assuming that is the case and Vernon Gholston leaves early, we're in pretty good shape. The three players you mentioned in your blog all would be appealing. Chris Long probably makes the most sense, McFadden is obviously talented but wouldn't fill a major need especially given how terrible our offensive line is (I believe the game is won and lost in the trenches and though our backs aren't great they're good enough to get the job done behind a decent line, and it's not all that hard to find a gem at RB in later rounds as you have argued with Atlanta fans), and Jake Long is great it's tough to give a right tackle top 5 money. Glenn Dorsey is also a very talented player and if he doesn't end up going in one of the first 5 picks (which would really surprise me) there could be some team looking to trade up and grab him. And if not I wouldn't be all that disappointed with drafting him even if the scheme fit isn't great because he is extremely talented.

Obviously this hinges a lot on the quarterback going top 5 and Gholston coming out, and I think Gholston coming out is the bigger question but both happening is pretty realistic, and I think if that does happen between the three you mentioned, Gholston, and Dorsey we'll have some nice options sitting at 6. I'm pretty sure you've said you like Gholston and I know you think the Falcons should go QB so if Gholston comes out this isn't all that much of a stretch IMO I'll admit I was unhappy that we won the game at the time and it does seem rather illogical, but I think it's possible that we end up in a decent situation. It's certainly possible, if not probable, that this idea gets messed up somehow (especially because it is the Jets) but all may not be lost.

Comment

im sorry but i think its ridiculous to even consider throwing a game to get a higher draft pick. theres 11 guys on the field that honestly could give two craps whether they get the 3rd or 6th pick. These guys train their @## off every day to play on Sundays and even if it is week 17 and your team has a terrible record that doesnt mean that your drive to win a football game is gone. That drive is what got most of these players into the NFL and I am a firm believer in the theory that players get used to losing. Going out on a win, even if it is only your 4th gives you an extra bit of confidence going into the offseason. An NFL team is made up of 53 players not 1. I'd rather have guys on my team that go out to win every Sunday then ones that are willing to lay down just to move up in the draft.

Comment

I had initially made a post debating the merits of tanking, but really there is only one important flaw in this whole idea:

The day a bottom-feeder franchise blatantly tanks a game with the intention of improving their draft position is the day that the NFL introduces a draft lottery format to discourage such behavior.
                            Last edited by WCH; 01-03-2008, 02:45 AM.

Comment

What about the Chiefs side of this?

Had they won the game, they would've dropped from possibly picking at #4 to definitely picking at #8.

Somebody just about had to win this game and hurt themselves in the draft, and from your perspective the Jets got the bad end of it

I also disagree with you in the first place. You don't play to lose, especially at home, and you don't starve a team from wins when they've been hard to come by.
                              Last edited by SuperMcGee; 01-03-2008, 03:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information