More Terrible Draft Material Issued by Sporting News

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Terrible Draft Material Issued by Sporting News

I hadn't ever read this guy's material before, but this moronic piece only perpetuates SN's awful reputation in the draft evaluation business.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=335333
    Check out my blog and website:
    www.4thand99.com

Well, they guy certainly highlights some concerns about McFadden, although the whole "initiating contact" thing was and still is a concern with Adrian Peterson. He just carries it too far.

I stopped reading The Sporting News after one of their 2006 draft experts spent something like two pages talking about nothing but Abdul Hodge.

Comment

I hate the phrase "straight up". If you say you would take prospect A over prospect B, you don't need to say straight up, you are implying so by saying you would take prospect A over prospect B. It's redundant.

Comment

I'd take Stewart and Mendenhal over McFadden so i guess i'm moronic too.

Comment

I wouldn't call that article terrible. He made some very valid points about McFadden, but he also failed to give considerable evidence towards those points and didn't give enough detail. He also took it way too far by saying McFadden shouldn't be a first-round pick, especially with the lack of talent at the top in this year's draft.

A lot of knowledgeable posters here have mentioned how McFadden is overrated and not a sure-thing prospect. He doesn't generate enough yards on contact, he's not powerful and his vision is only adequate. He has rare explosiveness and speed but that will only play a factor if he's drafted to a team with good run blockers. The durability issue is also a legitimate concern, as he's not built very strong below the upper body. Don't be surprised to see more and more talk of Stewart and even Mendenhall going ahead of McFadden, but there's no way he falls outside the top 15.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

I personally feel he has to over emphasize his point of saying how McFadden isn't a sure thing probowler by saying he wouldn't take him in the first round. It's obvious that while McFadden isn't the clear cut best player in the draft he is definately one of them and to say he shouldn't be a first rounder because of durability issues is a bit of a stretch. I can understand having a guy fall out of the top 5 because of durability concerns and not wanting to pay a guy 30 mill guaranteed to play half the season, but certainly not out of the first 32 picks or in our case 31.

I would bet good money that if he was a GM and his team needed a RB and was sitting at 25 or so and McFadden was there that he would take him in a heart beat.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

well in their latest mock draft, the bengals are taking mike jenkins (USF) with the first pick, even though our 1st round picks the last 2 years were corners. Just because teams run on us like our base defense is nickel doesnt mean we need 3 consecutive 1st round corners.

Originally posted by mythbusta
              i love my pedestal. thats why im the mythbusta.
              who dey?

Comment

That wasn't bad at all, and he actually brought up valid points. Oh, he knocked Darren McFadden, oh never mind that was awful. There is no way someone could write something negative about McFadden and actually have be correct.

That is correct comahan
                I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                <3 dg

Comment

He has some good points and they are all things that should be looked at but he just took it too far in order to get people's attention and to get people to read his article.

Comment

I always pick up the annual Sporting News Draft Guide. Partially I do it to see who they tout as highly rated prospects, many of which have crashed and burned in recent years.

Still, they are hit or miss, like almost every other "draftnik."

Comment

But I've watched him on film and up close in the Cotton Bowl, and I've seen no special qualities that will make him an exceptional running back.
                      McFadden has breakaway speed, I'll give him that.
                      and thats where i stopped. he contradicted himself.
                      CHRIS PETERSEN > STEVE SARKISIAN AND JIM MORA. CALL ME WHEN ONE MAKES A BCS BOWL.

Originally posted by slightlyabroncosfan
                      JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon View Post
                        I'd take Stewart and Mendenhal over McFadden so i guess i'm moronic too.
                        i feel the exact same way =|

Comment

Don't kill me

But I finished my pre-combine grades....

And I have Stewart ranked ahead of McFadden. Barely, and it could change post-combine...but McFadden is on the overrated side.
                          Originally posted by Paul
                          Eli's opportunity to become a legend.
                          Originally posted by Vikes99ej
                          These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
                          MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

Mendenhall really isn't that close to McFadden
                            Originally posted by Paul
                            Eli's opportunity to become a legend.
                            Originally posted by Vikes99ej
                            These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
                            MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

Originally posted by draftguru151 View Post
                              That wasn't bad at all, and he actually brought up valid points. Oh, he knocked Darren McFadden, oh never mind that was awful. There is no way someone could write something negative about McFadden and actually have be correct.
                              You and I both know well how pointing out negatives on certain well thought of prospects can be received during draft time, but I'd say there's a considerable difference between saying that McFadden doesn't have great build, wiggle, or vision and saying that he isn't worth a 1st round pick.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information