Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If available, will Kansas City take Matt Ryan?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If available, will Kansas City take Matt Ryan?

I'm making a new, very in-depth mock draft, but I'm kind of stuck.

I have the first four picks and explanations done, but I'm stuck at Kansas City.

I have Matt Ryan still available, and by how many Chief-affiliated workers were at his Pro Day, do you think they would take him if he dropped that far?

If needed, here are the first four picks.

1. Miami: Jake Long
    2. St. Louis: Chris Long
    3. Atlanta: Glenn Dorsey
    4. Oakland: Darren McFadden

Pittsburgh Steelers • Florida Gators • Pittsburgh Penguins

They would take Sedrick Ellis IMO to help make a good defense great

Comment

I think it's a good possibility, would it be their best choice, not by a long shot, but it's a possibility. I think at #5 with those picks being the ones taken they'd have to look at a guy like Gholston and Clady and see which of those 3 (Ryan included) they liked the most. I don't think Ryan is worth at top 5 pick not even top 10, so no real need to press for a QB, but KC could use someone if they're not in love with Alabama's rock star.

Comment

If they feel Ryan is a franchise QB, and I don't think any of us know how they really feel, but if they do, then I think the answer is yes based on that board. If not, it'll likely be OT there, whether it's Clady or Otah, with Otah the better fit but needing to have a good workout (which Clady has had already).

Comment

Are The Cowboys Incredibly Stupid Or Making A Great Smokescreen?

EDIT: I'm a ******* ******.
          The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

It wouldn't be too smart, i dont think they'd do it, Croyle still has time

Comment

I think the pick in that situation would be Ellis or Clady/Otah. They had the most representatives at the BC pro-day though, with both Herm and Carl Peterson (GM) in attendance.

That being said, I don't think Ryan will be the pick unless they're absolutely sure that he's a franchise guy. In the last 25 years, the Chiefs have had 3 top 5 picks and they've chosen wisely with all 3.

There is no telling what they'll do because Carl Peterson is crazy, but would it be shocking if they picked Ryan? No. Do I want that to happen? No. I'd go Ellis or Clady.

I just rambled a lot. Hope anything I said helps!
              Last edited by vidae; 03-21-2008, 10:30 PM. Reason: wording

Originally posted by fenikz
              His soft D really turns me off
              ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

Of course each NFL team will have Ryan ranked differently, but if KC likes Ryan, it's a no brainer. Croyle is extremely slight for a QB and could never stay healthy at Alabama nevermind the far tougher NFL. So it would be very tough for them to pass on Ryan.
                And proud of it!!!

Comment

I truely believe KC wants out of this pick very badly and they are doing everything possible to create intrest. They speak so highly of Croyle here that I don't see them going in another direction and Edwards and Peterson have both been put on notice from the new owners. If they stay I'm guessing the take Clady as he is the only guy in the top 10 to 12 prospects that they haven't been linked to.

Comment

If I were them I'd definitely consider it assuming Jake Long is gone.
                    Scott Wright, President
                    Draft Countdown.com
                    www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
                    www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by BPhilb View Post
                      I truely believe KC wants out of this pick very badly and they are doing everything possible to create intrest. They speak so highly of Croyle here that I don't see them going in another direction and Edwards and Peterson have both been put on notice from the new owners. If they stay I'm guessing the take Clady as he is the only guy in the top 10 to 12 prospects that they haven't been linked to.
                      I mostly agree with this... any team as inactive in FA as the Chiefs and wanting to build their team almost solely through the draft has to be trying to pick up more picks. Creating the perception that they could take almost anyone at #5 makes more teams likely to trade up. Carl plays games perhaps more than any GM in the NFL, and so I don't take anything that comes out of KC at face value.

With that said, I think that they have shown enough ways that Croyle is their guy that I believe it. And if you feel that way, you have to give "your guy" a legit chance, which Croyle hasn't yet had. So no, I don't think they take Ryan, I think they try to trade down with Baltimore.

If forced to stay put, I honestly think that KC will take Ellis. #5 is too high for Clady or Otah, and Herm knows the kind of impact a star DT can have on his defense. They can get guys like Collins or Nicks later in the draft, so I would say they take Ellis to solidify the DL.

Comment

I feel as if they'll give Brodie Croyle one more season. IMO they'd probably take the best o-lineman on their board at that point or Sedrick Ellis assuming they didn't trade down.

Comment

I would be very surprised if the Chiefs were in fact interested in drafting Ryan. I think Cherilus may have been the main reason they were out there, and they dragged the QB coach out to kick up the smokescreen as well. I think they'd prefer to trade out, but if they have to pick at 5 I think they will take a tackle, either Clady or Otah.

Comment

They like Brodie Croyle, and it's not fair to judge him on such a small sample. I'm sure they feel the same. He started only six games last year, and that was in an offense with the worst running game in the NFL, largely thanks to the worst offensive line in the NFL. And it's not as if his receivers were great -- only D-Bowe and Tony Gonzalez can be considered anything better than average. He had six TDs and six picks, and his completion percentage was 56.7% - the same as Peyton Manning's in his rookie season.

If it was possible (which it probably won't be), the Chiefs would like to solidify the O-line to the point where it's at least competent, develop another receiver to go along with D-Bowe, Gonzalez and Darling, and return Larry Johnson from injury so that defenses actually have to worry about something other than the two receiving threats. Give Croyle 16 games to show his stuff with that cast, and if he can improve and show some strong signs - great, he may be the guy. They could continue to build around him with another collection of high draft picks in 2009. If not, they'll grab a true franchise guy as soon as possible. From what we as fans understand, Ryan isn't the guy that KC will regret passing on for all eternity. (If he was, none of the teams above KC would pass on him.)

In this scenario, I think the options are clearly defined: (1) Trade down, even if they don't get true value, and take the best O-lineman available, or (2) take Sedrick Ellis.

Comment

I believe the Chiefs would like Long,Dorsey or Ellis in that order if all three are gone they will try to trade down IMO if they can't then and only then could I see them taking Ryan.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information