Choose Your Sleeper: Thoughts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choose Your Sleeper: Thoughts?

I'm a little curious as to who everyone thinks might be the big sleeper of the draft. I'm not talking the guy who gets drafted slightly below what he should've been. I'm thinking that second-day pick (or even an undrafted FA!) that will end up playing like a first-rounder. I know, it's impossible to predict the next Tom Brady, but hey, we all do it anyway.

My vote? Antwaun Molden, CB of Eastern Kentucky. He's gotten a boost to his stock ever since the Combine, and while I was expecting him to go maybe fifth, sixth, he might worm his way up to the third. In any case, he's got the size to go with the speed and he displays excellent technique. DraftGuys TV has a short analysis of him that has nothing but good things to say about him. As a developmental prospect, I'm optimistic that he could be a starter after one or two seasons of experience.

Other guys I've got my eye on:
    Gary Barnidge, TE, Louisville - excellent receiver, needs to improve his blocking, could be a productive receiving TE and maybe an eventual starter.

Eric Foster, DL, Rutgers - yes, I'm a Rutgers homer. Still, objectively, I feel that while Foster may be too much of a tweener to ever be a starter, he could be a solid part of a D-line rotation.

Corey Lynch, S, App State - His production merits attention. I initially wrote him off as playing against weaker teams, but he caught my attention in the Texas vs Nation game with a diving interception on the sideline. Ball was slightly overthrown, should've been an incomplete, but despite not having great timed speed, Lynch somehow raced over from the hashmark, snatched it and dragged both feet before rolling out of bounds. Perhaps level of competition doesn't mean everything after all.

Eric Wicks, S, WVU - Another safety, mainly because with a weak draft class, it's easier to find the relative unknowns. Good athlete, had great production at a BCS school, strong tackler, good in run support. Little worried about his coverage skills, or how the 3-3-5 stack translates to the pros. Was First Team All-Big East strong safety, partnered by....

Haruki Nakamura, S, Cincinnati - Have you heard of this guy? If you have, and you're not a Big East fan who had to see him break down your hopes and dreams, pat yourself on the back. He's an intriguing prospect. A hard-hitting free safety, had 86 tackles, 4 interceptions and 3 forced fumbles in 2007. Written off because of a lack of size and athleticism, he had an excellent pro day showing - with an added 15 pounds to his frame. 4.55 in the forty, 20 bench press reps, 10-foot broad jump, 34.5 inch vertical. Besides Molden, Nakamura would be my sleeper pick. My only problem with him is that he can get swallowed up in traffic. He's at his best one-on-one with the ballcarrier, not up against bigger blockers.

Nakamura's Youtube Highlights

He does deliver some big hits. The unassisted German suplex at 2:36 is fairly entertaining. The blindside sack on Pat White is just evil. He's also got some fantastic forced fumbles in there.

The best point of Nakamura's game is probably his tackling. One-on-one, he doesn't miss. I'd say this is mainly due to his excellent understanding of leverage and using it to his advantage. I believe he's a black belt in judo, which explains both his understanding of leverage and the suplex. He'll go undrafted, most likely, but will get a look as a rookie free agent. At the very least, he'll be a productive special teamer.
    Last edited by SKim172; 03-22-2008, 11:50 AM.

Ricky Santos!

Comment

UNH? Now that's a sleeper.

I honestly don't know much about him. I'm reading a few smidgens saying he worked out at UNH's pro day in front of 3 scouts because Boston College wouldn't let him work out at their campus (?)

I'm reading he was at the Hula Bowl. How'd he do there? I didn't get to see it.

(edit)
      Walter Payton Award? Now that's interesting.
      I should keep up more with the FCS schools.
      Last edited by SKim172; 03-22-2008, 12:30 AM.

Comment

garrison sanborn. he can lead any team to a championship
        my quick smells like french toast

Comment

Jerome Simpson, put up incredible numbers at the combine, I dont care who he played his physical stats are off the charts and he's going to make a VERY solid wr especially if he's taken in the 3rd or later.

Another wr since im on the topic is Deriaus Reynaud, very strong for a wr and runs great routes alot with having soft hands and good speed, he might not jump out at you on paper but I have a feeling he will be a late rd choice who ends up beating out some guys and will make an early impact for someone.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

I'm stuck with 2, Bobbie Williams and Demetrius Bell

Comment

Thomas Brown is my sleeper pick because he is a complete back. He runs with power, speed, can catch the ball, block, even return kicks. Only knock on him is that he is short, but he has a MJD and Westbrook build and could be effective if used properly. I think he could become a very poor mans Westbrook in the league and be a great 3rd down back in the NFL. Will be picked in the 5th or later, but if he was taller, I think he would be a first day pick.

Comment

I don't know if they are neccesarily sleepers, but I think Cory Boyd and Andre Callender could suprise a lot of people. Boyd will get drafted but Callender might be a UDFA.

Comment

Mike Hart because he's the man.

Comment

orlando scandrick, hes a CB out of boise state. hes got decent size and ran a 4.32 40.

i was reading an article about him a few weeks ago and some teams seemed to be genuinely interested in him in the 2nd round. i think he might actually go around 4, to a team like the browns maybe. but i think he will have a good initial impact.

Comment

Call me crazy. But, I think E.Ainge can become a starting qb in 2-3 years. Hopefully, he's not thrown to the wolves. He needs to get himself stronger and not be expected to carry a team. But, when I see qb's like; J.Kitna,T.Jackson B.Croyle, R.Grossman, A.Smith, Atlanta qb take your pick, K.Clemons, J.Beck and T.Edwards expected to start. It shows that there is a great need for good qb play in the NFL. It's the position that separates the haves from the have nots.

Curiously, many draftniks have taken a hatred towards the thought of drafting a qb early. I know the sucesses and failures of drafting qb's early. But, look at it this way. If you draft a RT and he grades out in the NFL as a 87grade player. 1-100 scale. Let's say my RT whom I got in the 4th round grades out to a 79. The diffence in their play on the field isn't significant enough to effect the outcome of a game. But, if I have a qb who grades out to an 87. And, yours only grades out to a 79. That is enough be the difference in winning/losing games.

Comment

Originally posted by bruschis4all View Post
                        Call me crazy. But, I think E.Ainge can become a starting qb in 2-3 years. Hopefully, he's not thrown to the wolves. He needs to get himself stronger and not be expected to carry a team. But, when I see qb's like; J.Kitna,T.Jackson B.Croyle, R.Grossman, A.Smith, Atlanta qb take your pick, K.Clemons, J.Beck and T.Edwards expected to start. It shows that there is a great need for good qb play in the NFL. It's the position that separates the haves from the have nots.

Curiously, many draftniks have taken a hatred towards the thought of drafting a qb early. I know the sucesses and failures of drafting qb's early. But, look at it this way. If you draft a RT and he grades out in the NFL as a 87grade player. 1-100 scale. Let's say my RT whom I got in the 4th round grades out to a 79. The diffence in their play on the field isn't significant enough to effect the outcome of a game. But, if I have a qb who grades out to an 87. And, yours only grades out to a 79. That is enough be the difference in winning/losing games.
                        lol, play madden much? i actually agree a little bit. but i can name a few other positions than QB where i would want the higher rated guy. LT, #1 WR, starting CBs, at least one LB preferably 2....

but i do agree in that i like ainge in the 4th-5th round range. i think hes got good size and other measurable and just needs to learn the pros a little bit.

Comment

Bobbie Williams FS Bethune-Cookman:
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONvK4cc--nw
                          He was alot of people's picks a while back, and i've been saying it more than a couple times. He can sure hit, is pretty good in coverage, can read plays very very well. He had good productivity throughout his career, and he was a team Capitan for at least 3 years i believe.

Jeremy Zuttah OL Rutgers:
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8wPeK1qx2Y
                          He had a great performance at the combine which rose his stock, but before that he was extremely underrated. He can play all 5 OL positions, is very athletic. He has very good speed, and alright size.

Comment

At the moment my favourite sleeper prospect is QB Kevin O'Connell. I really think he has a decent shot at developing into something worthwhile down the line.

Comment

A lot of names I haven't heard of before. Orlando Scandrick, I've seen - don't know why he hasn't done well with his stock, so far, he's a quality prospect. Simpson and Reynaud should be solid #3/#4 receivers, at least. Any team that feels a need for a blocking WR should take a look at Reynaud.

Andre Callender deserves more attention - led BC with 76 receptions, could be a Kevin Faulk-type receiving back who could pound out some tough yards too (and they say Matt Ryan had no talent around him).

Zuttah's shooting up draft boards lately - he may break the third round. As a Rutgers fan, though, I'm obligated to mention his two buddies, Pedro Sosa and Mike Fladell. Sosa's been falling since the Combine, still might get drafted. Fladell gets no love. But these three were the anchors of an O-line that only gave up 11 sacks and gave Rice 2000+ yards last season. Combined with Cam Stephenson and Darnell Stapleton, two RU grads from '06, they only gave up 8 sacks the year before.
                              Last edited by SKim172; 03-22-2008, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information