Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody else hear this about Matt Ryan on NFL Live?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody else hear this about Matt Ryan on NFL Live?

Somebody made the following post on a Chiefs messageboard:

"Both McShay and Kiper just said on NFL live that if both players were available in the '08 draft, they'd both draft Matt Ryan before JaMarcus Russell."

Anybody else hear this? Thoughts?

I don't buy that at all, personally. Just another reason why I try to avoid hearing anything McShay and Kiper Jr. have to say, I'm not interested.

I'd also take Brady Quinn over both Russell and Ryan, for what it's worth. :shrug:
    Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Whoa.. what?? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard!

Comment

Not sure about it either but I can see their reasoning for it. IMO Jamarcus Russell looked far better than he really was with guys like Dwayne Bowe, Craig Davis, and Early Doucet to throw the ball to. He could pretty much just lob the ball up and one of them would get it. I think if Matt Ryan had the receivers that Russell did at LSU he would have put up over 40 touchdowns.

I also seem to remember LSU fans saying Russell never really locked down the starting quarterback spot until late in his career at LSU. I believe they said he was always in competition for the starting job early in his first couple of years at LSU.

Comment

I would take Ryan over Russell. I feel that Russell wowed way too many people with him being able to throw the ball 60 yards on his ass.

Originally posted by Halsey
          I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Lions WMD View Post
            Whoa.. what?? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard!
            And why is that? I'm not sure I agree but it is still debateable. Like I said in my post above, Russell certainly benefited from having the best receiving corps in college football. I think they made him look better than what he really was. He has a strong arm for sure but so do Kyle Boller and Brodie Croyle.

Comment

I can smell the raiders homers and their tears of rage coming from a mile away.

I agree, Ryan is hands down a better prospect than Russel was a year ago.

Comment

Regardless of what anyone on here personally thinks of Russell, Matt Ryan would not be drafted ahead of him...Put Matt Ryan in that same draft and he's a 2nd round pick so it makes no sense to say otherwise...Quinn wasnt sniffed until he hit the 20's, If Miami passed up Quinn they would of passed up Ryan also, and nowhere in between would anyone of been excited over what Matt Ryan has to offer.

Even if Russell did get overhyped or whatever you want to call it, physically him and Ryan arent even close, nor are they close in potential or upside...If McShay does feel that way so be it, but no NFL teams agree with him on that.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
                  I can smell the raiders homers and their tears of rage coming from a mile away.

I agree, Ryan is hands down a better prospect than Russel was a year ago.
                  Talk about the pot calling the kettle black...Your telling me that Brady Quinn can drop to 22, yet Matt Ryan would be the #1 overall pick that year?

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                  I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Russell has the sooo much upside. Matt Ryan has very limited upside IMO he does have great intangibles but he does not have a killer arm that Cutler or Russell have. I think that Ryan is more NFL ready but i don't think that he will ever be a pro bowl QB and i think that Russell can be.

About todd McShay and Mel Kiper i think you have to take everything they say with a grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by ChezPower4 View Post
                      Russell has the sooo much upside. Matt Ryan has very limited upside IMO he does have great intangibles but he does not have a killer arm that Cutler or Russell have. I think that Ryan is more NFL ready but i don't think that he will ever be a pro bowl QB and i think that Russell can be.

About todd McShay and Mel Kiper i think you have to take everything they say with a grain of salt.
                      IMO guys like Tom Brady, Matt Hasselbeck, Drew Brees, and Marc Bulger aren't anymore impressive than Ryan physically yet all have made the pro bowl.

IMO arm strength is overrated. Between a quarterback with great arm strength but questionable intangibles and leadership or the quarterback with merely adequate arm strength but excellent intangibles and great leadership and I will take the 2nd option every time.

Comment

I'm not sure that their move made sense, but I cannot agree or disagree with their statement as of now. I never really got on the Russell bandwagon, I don't trust his intangibles enough, but to say he was the better physical specimen I agree. Ryan seems to have his head screwed on right.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                        don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                          Regardless of what anyone on here personally thinks of Russell, Matt Ryan would not be drafted ahead of him...Put Matt Ryan in that same draft and he's a 2nd round pick so it makes no sense to say otherwise...Quinn wasnt sniffed until he hit the 20's, If Miami passed up Quinn they would of passed up Ryan also, and nowhere in between would anyone of been excited over what Matt Ryan has to offer.

Even if Russell did get overhyped or whatever you want to call it, physically him and Ryan arent even close, nor are they close in potential or upside...If McShay does feel that way so be it, but no NFL teams agree with him on that.
                          The difference is.. the Hype put Russell at #1.

The hype can't justify Ryan being a top 5 pick.

Therefore... Russell > Ryan.

Quinn and Ryan would be a much better debate. I take Quinn though. He had better WR's, but worse RB's/OL to work with. And a tougher schedule.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin575 View Post
                            IMO guys like Tom Brady, Matt Hasselbeck, Drew Brees, and Marc Bulger aren't anymore impressive than Ryan physically yet all have made the pro bowl.

IMO arm strength is overrated. Between a quarterback with great arm strength but questionable intangibles and leadership or the quarterback with merely adequate arm strength but excellent intangibles and great leadership and I will take the 2nd option every time.
                            Ryan doesn't have any of that. His mechanics are pretty sound, but his accuracy, arm strength, and leadership are questionable.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
                              The difference is.. the Hype put Russell at #1.

The hype can't justify Ryan being a top 5 pick.

Therefore... Russell > Ryan.

Quinn and Ryan would be a much better debate. I take Quinn though. He had better WR's, but worse RB's/OL to work with. And a tougher schedule.
                              Russll > Ryan as far as where they are drafted but I'm not so sure I agree as far as how their careers will turn out.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information