Scott's Winners and Losers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott's Winners and Losers

Didn't see a thread just to talk about them all yet.

Anyway, I have two minor beefs with it. How are the redskins losers when they get arguably the top receiver prospect in the draft (thomas) in round 2? They really beefed up their offense IMO...sure they didnt get the DE help they needed early on but one could make the argument that that was a position where the value just didnt last....groves is the only guy who was available in teh 2nd that i would have considered and i don't think hes a great fit for the type of d-lineman they like. then come the 3rd and 4th round, you have teams like philly taking bryan smith (who was projected as a 6th/7th rounder) and the titans taking William Hayes, who i didnt even have anywhere on my draft sheet. not even in the potential UDFA guys....

also, how are the lions winners? i thought they had an awful draft....just because they picked up kevin smith? I didn't know 3rd round running backs could swing an awful draft to a great one....plus they grossly reached for dizon IMO. dan connor will be a much more solid player imo and though he may not have been a perfect fit for their system, its just evidence that better guys were availbable that dizon. And gosder? Why take a definite right tackle only when you could have had Otah who at least has the potential to make the move to left side long term. That would have been a perfect situation for him imo where he could stay on the right side to learn and kick over to left in the future.

just my thoughts

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
    Didn't see a thread just to talk about them all yet.

Anyway, I have two minor beefs with it. How are the redskins losers when they get arguably the top receiver prospect in the draft (thomas) in round 2? They really beefed up their offense IMO...sure they didnt get the DE help they needed early on but one could make the argument that that was a position where the value just didnt last....groves is the only guy who was available in teh 2nd that i would have considered and i don't think hes a great fit for the type of d-lineman they like. then come the 3rd and 4th round, you have teams like philly taking bryan smith (who was projected as a 6th/7th rounder) and the titans taking William Hayes, who i didnt even have anywhere on my draft sheet. not even in the potential UDFA guys....

also, how are the lions winners? i thought they had an awful draft....just because they picked up kevin smith? I didn't know 3rd round running backs could swing an awful draft to a great one....plus they grossly reached for dizon IMO. dan connor will be a much more solid player imo and though he may not have been a perfect fit for their system, its just evidence that better guys were availbable that dizon. And gosder? Why take a definite right tackle only when you could have had Otah who at least has the potential to make the move to left side long term. That would have been a perfect situation for him imo where he could stay on the right side to learn and kick over to left in the future.
    just my thoughts
    Good points. I usually am skeptical of teams that take a lot of skill postion players early as those drafts tend to be "sexy" but also carry a high risk factor. I too was suprised by Detroit being a "winner", not that I thought they had a bad draft but I didn't see it as a top 5 on paper. I also wouldn't label Washington as a winner but they at least went strongly after fixing a big need area and though it's likely one of the three first day picks will bust they should be able to get some contributers out of it. Overall though it's almost impossible to grade these things this early as it says in Scott's opening and usually teams that have mulitple first day picks "win" these things.

Comment

Marinelli offers up a little bit of an explanation..

Q: We really liked Gosder Cherilus. One of the reasons is that he played against some good defensive ends and, every one of them said about the same thing: Once he gets his hands on you, it's a wrap.

RM: Yeah, his hands are big. Wow. This guy is a really big, physical man. And he's got a real nasty streak in him. A real tough competitor. He's got the athleticism to be a left tackle, but at right tackle, he's just a real tough, physical guy. He's a humble guy. He's going to come in here and work.

Q: Some have said Jordon Dizon was a reach. How does he fit into your defense? Talk about his skill set.

RM: We want to look at him at the Mike position, and also as the nickel Mike because he's really good in space. He's also got the ability to play the Sam backer. But we really want to see him inside. His instincts are great. He sees something and goes. Our philosophy in the draft was to err on the side of production with our picks.

Q: Speaking of production, Kevin Smith was one heckuva productive running back at Central Florida.

RM: We really targeted him early, especially Jim Coletto. One thing we really liked about this guy is that he's very decisive when he makes his cuts. And he breaks tackles. You gotta be able to break tackles in this league. He's very physical. We're exciting about him.

Q: The trade with Kansas City was interesting. You really just moved down two spots to take your guy. You must have had confidence they weren't after the same guy you were.

RM: We felt that they were going after the Virginia kid (offensive lineman Brandon Alberts). It was really, probably one of the key things in the entire draft for us because it allowed us to move up in the third round to get the man we wanted.

Q: If Dizon becomes the every-down Mike, how would you like to see the strong-side linebacker competition shake out?

RM: Well, you got Paris (Lenon). Paris has been there, too. He can play Sam. You got a guy like Alex Lewis going into that thing. So we can really upgrade, or if Jordon has to play Sam, we can do that too.

They must of really liked Dizon to take him so early, because that seems like a position they wanted to address, if he ends up a beast everyone will appluad that pick, if he bust they will talk about it forever, I'm not sure of the exact number of where he was picked but I hope Curtis Lofton wasn't on the board at this time.

Their 2nd day really did kill it though, it probably outweighs day one because they nailed quite a few picks.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Yeah, Curtis Lofton was gone by the time the Lions picked in Round 2. I would've slaughtered someone if they passed on Lofton for Dizon.

Comment

I totally don't understand how the Lions are winners. I mean, I don't think their draft was terrible but I wasn't that high on it either.

With that said, Saints ftw!
          The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

I want to see the explanation for Redskins being losers.

Comment

The Steelers 1st day is enough to make them winers! But i guess narrowing it down to 5 is a pretty hard thing to do!

Comment

Scott makes mock drafts with the best of 'em, but as I recall his draft grades have been pretty significantly off. It's not an exact science folks, just for fun. Nobody will know for a few years anyway.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Lions at #2 is a bit of a shock.

I liked the Lions day two much more than day one, but the only 'bad' pick the Lions made, IMO, was Dizon.

They made the best of the situation that presented itself to them in Round 1. They wanted Mayo, and didn't necessarily anticipate him going in the top 10. Same goes for Harvey. And to trade back a couple slots to get Gosder is a good move I think in retrospect.
                  R.I.P. L.E.F.
                  "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

For a team to have alot of picks like the Falcons they sure did mess things up.
                    Derrick Morgan > All

Comment

Hmmm, maybe the Redskins are losers because they didn't address their OL or DL much in this draft, the two areas that needed the most work. They have Moss, Randle-El, and Cooley (not world beaters but still solid). I love Thomas but there are questions with Kelley's character and his knees, and I really did not see the value in taking Davis over DL in the 2nd Round.

If history shows anything, if you don't have the boys in the trenches, it's going to be a long season.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
                      Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

the redskins were losers not because they drafted thomas, but because they drafted davis and kelly also in the 3nd round, with guys like calais campbell and quentin groves still on the board who filled a much bigger need. Davis will be the #2 TE behind cooley, but why draft a #2 TE when tehre are starting caliber DEs on the board, and your team needs starting DE`sÉ makes no sense to me.

another thing that just occured ot me, i understand the lions moved down for cherilus, but why not just draft albert thereÉ almost everyone had him as a higher ranked player, and he is more then athletic enough to play RT if they wanted to use him there, and LT if they wanted to kick backus over. doesnt make alot of sense to me...

i thought the rams had a very good draft overall...justin king was a steal in the 4th round.
                        Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                        The APS is strong in this one.
                        Originally posted by killxswitch
                        Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

according to scott my team is a big loser.

Comment

I don't knock the Lions for drafting Cherilus, he's got the potential to be an All-Pro right tackle. Granted they passed on Mendenhall, and maybe that could be looked on with regret in the future, but really you can pretty much find a runningback every year. Smith has his concerns, but he might work out.
                            Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

When you were 13-3 a season ago, and you have nearly all your starters set in stone... you can hardly be called ''losers'' by drafting BPA. Everyone says you need replacements because your 33 year old corners are getting old. Well instead of that we drafted Jordy Nelson because 33-34 year old Donald Driver is getting old..(still a stud)

And yeah Green Bay drafted a lot of projects but look at TT's history.. many of his picks from his time in Green Bay are still on the team contributing, in fact almost all are.

Yeah I wanted a Safety or TE early, but I am perfectly happy with the way the draft turned out.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information