Sleeper Teams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeper Teams

Every year there are surprises and i want to know which team you think will be a surprise either better than expected or worse than expected.

I think Buffalo could be better than expected

Sig by BoneKrusher
    Matt Barkley will be the best QB to be selected in the Top 5 since Peyton Manning.

Just by going with teams in the top-5, I have to say St. Louis. They were destroyed by injuries all over and if Jackson and Bulger can be healthy and play in their 06 forms, they will win the NFC West.

Originally posted by Halsey
    I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

Comment

I agree with you on Buffalo...I think they may slip into the playoffs this year. In the NFC I have some expectations out of the Cardinals...I think this is the year that they make the Playoffs too.

Of course I also believe the Bengals will be better than everyone expects them to be. I think they can make the playoffs as well. It all depends on the health of the Defense.

Comment

Carolina will win their division and make a run deep into the playoffs

Comment

I think the Bills are that team too. Maybe next year they will have a even better chance to make some noise. They have done a great job of 'rebuilding' after clearing out some of their bigger names a couple years back and they now have a good basis of young players.

Other teams who could turn some heads:

The Texans. Andre Johnson is a beast and was out a lot of last year, so having him around more and have their QB back from injury the offense could be a lot better. On Defense they are young and have a lot of talent, they could realy push the Jags and Colts for the division - i wouldnt be overly suprised if the Texans and Jags made the playoffs and the Colts missed out - the Titans are no slouches either - Good division.

The Cardinals. Every year i think they will break out but they don't. This year i am less confident, however, they could suprise me and take a regressing Seahawk team of their perch.

I know these two teams are not sleepers, but I think the Eagles and the Skins will make more noise this year then the Superbowl champs.
          --Four Norse Men of the Apocalypse--
          ......Allen Wlliams Williams Edwards......
          .......--Future Riders in waiting--........
          ......Robinson Evans Guion Mitchell......

Join this football simulator...its pretty sweet. http://goallineblitz.com/game/signup.pl?ref=13176733

Comment

The J_E_T_S JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!!! Watch it happen baby!! Were going to the playoffs!! 11-5 record for us in the regular season, maybe 12-4, we have a easy schedule! And I think Kellen Clemens has a good year, but the run game and defense is what gets us there.
            How cool would that be, we were 4-12 last season, then go 12-4 this season. HA! But definitely the Jets are going to be good, baring injuries of coarse, good coaching staff, and filled the holes up with good players. I think this team is going to be good, and challenge the Pats for the division. I think we beat the Pats at least once this year though, at their home if anywhere, we always play good there somereason.

Comment

Originally posted by jetsfan0099 View Post
              The J_E_T_S JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!!! Watch it happen baby!! Were going to the playoffs!! 11-5 record for us in the regular season, maybe 12-4, we have a easy schedule! And I think Kellen Clemens has a good year, but the run game and defense is what gets us there.
              How cool would that be, we were 4-12 last season, then go 12-4 this season. HA! But definitely the Jets are going to be good, baring injuries of coarse, good coaching staff, and filled the holes up with good players. I think this team is going to be good, and challenge the Pats for the division. I think we beat the Pats at least once this year though, at their home if anywhere, we always play good there somereason.

I dont know man, if Edwards or Losman develops they could have a good team. Offense should have a great year IMO, with Evans, Hardy, Parrish and maybe even Steve Johnson at WR. Oline is good, and Lynch is a good RB. Defense is a question though, that secondary is shaky

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

Originally posted by jetsfan0099 View Post
                You been drinking tonight buddy??? Just kiddinggg. I do admit that we have a good chance of doing big things this year; we improved the oline at LG and RT, we got a great blocking FB in tony richardson, we have a potential NT in jenkins, two OLBs in Pace and gholston as well as rhodes, revis and harris locked up.

BUT there are still plenty of things that could go wrong, most importantly our QB play..if chad is the QB, you'll see a 10 win season at most, but go absolutely nowhere in the playoffs, if clemens wins out the battle he may turn out to be a scrub, but we'll have to see. Also injuries could kill us, just like any team..you never know if woody and jenkins will keep their weight down, gholston could turn out to be only a situational pass rusher (i sure hope not), pace could be a one year wonder etc...Not to be such a pessimist, because i have faith in the jets, but for a team to have a complete turnaround i like to see good qb play, which is why i like the bills for my sleeper team.

I like what both the bills and fins did in this draft as well as the jets and pats, which leads me to beleive that the AFC east might become the tough division that it used to be.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

Watch out for the 49ers. Mike Martz should make the offense a lot better, he is really high on Alex Smith, and the defense is loaded with talent

Comment

Texans

Healthy Schaub and Andre Johnson.

Added a big play RB in Slaton. Also added Chris Brown who is very good when healthy.

Added Alex Gibbs which will definitely improve the running game.

Okoye in his second year.

Xavier Adibi is an instant upgrade over Morlon Greenwood if he's given a chance to start.

Added 2 CB's who are better than Demarcus Fajjins (j subbed for g cuz itd get ***)

So really we've vastly improved our running game and already had a pretty good passing game. Schaub and Sage together had 3900+ passing yards with 4 receivers with 500+ yards. We've got a dangerous kick returner in Andre Davis and a developing punt returner/WR in Jacoby Jones. Defense is getting better with experience with Mario, Okoye, Demeco, and Fred Bennett.

Another 8-8 season is probably the most realistic, but barring injuries, we should be 9-7

Comment

Thats why I think the Jets are a sleeper team, I really believe in Kellen Clemens. I watched some games over, and just skipped around to see more of him, he looks good, it was the team around him that was horrible. I still think Clemens has a chance to be a quality QB in the NFL. He was real good in the 4th quarter which is important. If he makes as much of a jump as he did from when he was a rookie to his 2nd year, then make a jump from his 2nd year to his 3rd year, he could have a real good season. Since he made real big improvements from a rookie to last season.

Comment

I could go through the usual positive potential "surprises" - Buffalo, perhaps Houston, perhaps Denver, Minnesota, New Orleans, perhaps Carolina. That said, in an age of parity, how many of those teams would really be surprises. Denver and Carolina, but Carolina's had a good offseason. So, here's a darkhorse surprise. Not saying they'll do good, but I like some possibilities.

San Francisco 49ers - Why? I really don't like any of the teams, right now, at this really early juncture, in the NFC West. Seattle is probably the on paper favorite, but you wonder

a) When the age on the OL catches up
                        b) The lack of a top passing weapon when they are trying to move away from the spread offense a bit
                        c) How good is that run game?
                        d) Can Kerney replicate his success?
                        e) Will the Holmgren factor be a negative if they struggle a bit.

This does bring the big question of, what worries me about Arizona.

a) I'm concerned about that QB dynamic.
                        b) I wonder if there is enough juice in the run game.
                        c) Will there be a distraction?
                        d) Can that OL, which isn't the league's most talented, get better?
                        e) What does the loss of Calvin Pace mean?
                        f) Can DRC really fill a big role (nickel or starter) now?

So, why not the Rams surprising?

a) It usually takes 2 years to learn the Saunders offense.
                        b) How quick does that OL gel? And how good is that OL anyways?
                        c) Do they have the passing weapons NOW?
                        d) How is their deep coverage?
                        e) Can they generate enough pressure?
                        f) Age of a couple DL guys as a factor (being old ... and being young)

So, why exactly do I half wonder if the Niners can surprise

a) Alex Smith will be healthy.
                        b) Mike Martz will create a better offense. How much better? I don't know. But it will be better. It's weird how Martz's offense is a bit more adaptable than Saunders despite both coming from the same tree.
                        c) Gore time.
                        d) I think the OL should be better. There will be some rough spots, but it should get better as the season progresses. In the near future, Staley/Baas/?Wallace?/Rachal/Snyder could be a nasty unit (and Snyder/Wallace both could be upgraded in future drafts)
                        e) Issac Bruce at least gives the QB a more stable option than last year. And I've got some hope on Jason Hill developing.
                        f) The DL should be better. Yes, better, despite losing Bryant Young. Justin Smith isn't anything special, but he should replace Marques Douglas just fine. Kentwan Balmer should add solid depth at the very least.

If anything, I've got concerns on that defense generating a pass rush, although having Manny Lawson's athleticism back should help. All said, it's early. Just to be clear, I'm not predicting greatness for the Niners. Just to watch for them, as I think they'd be a legitimate surprise.

Okay, I'll be a bit controversial and offer up teams that I wonder if they could slide. Granted, the Pats come at the top, because obviously, repeating 18-1 will be unlikely, but I'm talking about slide relative to expectations here.

a) Cleveland Browns - A lot of expectations for this team. They could very well meet them. What worries me is that, if Jamal Lewis has age catch up, or he goes down, I think they are in trouble. Still could have a solid offense, but it'll be much harder.

b) Pittsburgh Steelers - I like them as well. But what worries me is their pass blocking on the edges. It's stating the obvious, but the obvious could really hurt. The DL depth also doesn't have me doing cartwheels either.

c) Tennessee Titans - Stating the obvious, really. Of all the solid teams last year, they seem to be the chic pick to struggle. Justifiable reasons? Maybe. My worries have less to do with offense than it has to do with defense, though. That offense is what it is. The DL turnover is what worries me.

d) Washington Redskins - I like them too, but the new coaching staff, age on the defense, and age on the OL certainly are causes for concern.

e) Carolina Panthers - So they turned back the clock to the days when there was a power run game. The chic comment for them has been "bringing back their identity". What about that defensive identity? I look at the interior of the DL, and for a big guy, Ma'ake isn't nearly as immovable as he should be, and then there's Damione Lewis and Darwin Walker. certainly doesn't inspire confidence.

f) Seattle Seahawks - I worry that age on the OL will catch up at some point. Maybe they can push it off for a year. I also worry that there isn't a top passing weapon when they are trying to move away from the spread. Furthermore, how good is a Julius/TJ combo? Can Kerney repeat his performance? Will they be distracted?

Not saying these teams will fall, but some teams that worry me, relative to current expectations, as of now.

Comment

Originally posted by neko4 View Post
                          I dont know man, if Edwards or Losman develops they could have a good team. Offense should have a great year IMO, with Evans, Hardy, Parrish and maybe even Steve Johnson at WR. Oline is good, and Lynch is a good RB. Defense is a question though, that secondary is shaky

Are secondary isnt shaky...... We have Donte Whitner and Ko Simpson coming back from a season ending injury. Jabari Greer is the most underrated Corner in the league.... We have McGee, and we just got Leodis....

Thank you XxXDragonXxX for the Avatar!

Comment

Originally posted by toonsterwu View Post
                            I could go through the usual positive potential "surprises" - Buffalo, perhaps Houston, perhaps Denver, Minnesota, New Orleans, perhaps Carolina. That said, in an age of parity, how many of those teams would really be surprises. Denver and Carolina, but Carolina's had a good offseason. So, here's a darkhorse surprise. Not saying they'll do good, but I like some possibilities.

San Francisco 49ers - Why? I really don't like any of the teams, right now, at this really early juncture, in the NFC West. Seattle is probably the on paper favorite, but you wonder

a) When the age on the OL catches up
                            b) The lack of a top passing weapon when they are trying to move away from the spread offense a bit
                            c) How good is that run game?
                            d) Can Kerney replicate his success?
                            e) Will the Holmgren factor be a negative if they struggle a bit.

This does bring the big question of, what worries me about Arizona.

a) I'm concerned about that QB dynamic.
                            b) I wonder if there is enough juice in the run game.
                            c) Will there be a distraction?
                            d) Can that OL, which isn't the league's most talented, get better?
                            e) What does the loss of Calvin Pace mean?
                            f) Can DRC really fill a big role (nickel or starter) now?

So, why not the Rams surprising?

a) It usually takes 2 years to learn the Saunders offense.
                            b) How quick does that OL gel? And how good is that OL anyways?
                            c) Do they have the passing weapons NOW?
                            d) How is their deep coverage?
                            e) Can they generate enough pressure?
                            f) Age of a couple DL guys as a factor (being old ... and being young)

So, why exactly do I half wonder if the Niners can surprise

a) Alex Smith will be healthy.
                            b) Mike Martz will create a better offense. How much better? I don't know. But it will be better. It's weird how Martz's offense is a bit more adaptable than Saunders despite both coming from the same tree.
                            c) Gore time.
                            d) I think the OL should be better. There will be some rough spots, but it should get better as the season progresses. In the near future, Staley/Baas/?Wallace?/Rachal/Snyder could be a nasty unit (and Snyder/Wallace both could be upgraded in future drafts)
                            e) Issac Bruce at least gives the QB a more stable option than last year. And I've got some hope on Jason Hill developing.
                            f) The DL should be better. Yes, better, despite losing Bryant Young. Justin Smith isn't anything special, but he should replace Marques Douglas just fine. Kentwan Balmer should add solid depth at the very least.

If anything, I've got concerns on that defense generating a pass rush, although having Manny Lawson's athleticism back should help. All said, it's early. Just to be clear, I'm not predicting greatness for the Niners. Just to watch for them, as I think they'd be a legitimate surprise.
                            Toon, showing us his wisdom :D. Even though the 49ers didnt draft a egde rusher, im hoping the Balmer pick helps out in that department. The 49ers tried to address the DL by re-signing Sopoaga, signing Smith in FA, and drafting Balmer. Hopefully they can tie up blockers and collapse the pocket and it will make our mediocre OLB's look better. Im also excited to see Lawson pass rush, he looked improved before he went out for the season.

Even though theyre not a "sleeper", i think the Bills can compete for a wildcard in the AFC. This is a team that plain fights for it on the football field. They had about 10 players on IR and were still fighting for a playoff spot. Edwards will improve and i think Mckelvin (sp?) can have an immediate impact in the return game. Nobody talks about the Bills because the Dolphins hired Parcells, the Jets went on a spending spree and got a highly touted OSU prospect in Gholston, and the Pats are the Pats. But the Bills will sneak up on you. I see all 16 Bills games unless theyre blacked out and this will be a team to watch out for next year.

Comment

I'm not sure Balmer's going to be that much pass rush help because he'll either be playing the nose or the 5, and I don't think he'll be given the leeway to attack consistently. If they do move Justin Smith around, as they had suggested, then he might be able to get some mismatches off the edge, but I'm not sure how much burst he has at this age to consistently exploit and attack. It'll be an interesting one to follow. Personally, I'd get creative, and perhaps try Brandon Moore outside a bit (I thought he had decent pass rush ability. And I could see them freeing up Patrick Willis a bit more.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information