No announcement yet.

Matthew Stafford, Qb Georgia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a Stafford fan at all. Doesn't seem to have that inate feel for the game, even though he has all of the physical tools to succeed. Not to mention spotty mechanics and very average productivity. Not just productivity as in huge statistics, but averages as well, considering completion percentages, yards per attempt, and touchdown to interception ratios.

I'll take Matt Ryan over him, I'll say that.

Originally posted by no love View Post
    Chad Henne plus two inches. And that is not a knock on him because I think Chad was a great prospect, but it seems these days that unless you are coming from a stupid spread offense your value is lower. I think everyone will talk about what a great prospect he is up until about two months before the draft when these spread qb's start getting all the love for the numbers they put up and then he will fall on draft day.

Example of spread guys who were rose:
    Alex Smith, Jamarcus Russell, Matt Ryan, Vince Young, Kevin Kolb

Pro Style QBs who fell:
    Aaron Rogers, Brady Quinn, Chad Henne, Matt Leinart, JD Booty, Trent Edwards (i liste him because he got picked after Kolb and Beck).
    Matt Ryan did not play in a spread offense. It was a very pro style offense, it just so happened that he threw the ball close to fifty times a game.

Originally posted by Babylon View Post
    Mediocre play? 55.7% average per attempt, 13 yds per comp.,19 tds and 10 ints(that number needs to come down) with average receivers and going against some of the better secondaries in the country. Add to that the fact that they should have played USC in the Rose Bowl for a chance at a top 2 ranking in the country. I'd say way above average all things considered.
    Those stats sound mediocre to me.
    Virginia Tech.
    ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

I think he could be the best QB prospect in since Manning and Rivers and that class came out. He is better than Alex Smith and imo Matt Ryan this year.

I also think he is a better QB (When it comes to certain intangibles) than Big Ben.

If he is put into the right system with a decent team around him (existent running game) he can flourish in the NFL

bonekrusher
      The Twitters
      themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by Bengals78 View Post
        I think he could be the best QB prospect in since Manning and Rivers and that class came out. He is better than Alex Smith and imo Matt Ryan this year.

I also think he is a better QB (When it comes to certain intangibles) than Big Ben.

If he is put into the right system with a decent team around him (existent running game) he can flourish in the NFL
        Kansas City maybe?

Comment

If he went to KC, he would be a starter from day one IMO. Bowe would be an amazing target for him and the run game, he should thrive in a place like KC

bonekrusher
          The Twitters
          themaninblack

Comment

I would welcome him with open arms in KC

sig by BoneKrusher

Originally posted by BuckNaked
            Ok I'd almost rather spank my meat with sandpaper at this point.

Comment

As stated by many people on here he has all the potential but isn't a finished product. The completion % isn't a big deal for me, I've watched every one of his passes his career and the WR get no seperation at all from the DB. He also didn't pad his stats agianst weak teams or in OT like several SEC QB's last year. I thought his interceptions would hurt his stock, but with Matt Ryan going so high it might not. He started to grow as a QB last year with stuff like changing playsand leading game winning drives.
              Last edited by georgiafan; 05-10-2008, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by georgiafan View Post
                As stated by many people on here he has all the potential but isn't a finished product. The completion % isn't a big deal for me, I've watched every one of his passes his career and the WR get no seperation at all from the DB. He also didn't pad his stats agianst weak teams or in OT like several SEC QB's last year. I thought his interceptions would hurt his stock, but with Matt Ryan going so high it might not. He started to grow as a QB last year with stuff like changing playsand leading game winning drives.
                Ryan got the benefit of the doubt due to lack of receiving talent, and throwing fifty times a game. Not to mention the intangibles.

I need to see some actual productivity from Stafford. Like I said, I just do not see the 'feel for the game' from him.

He could be an outstanding prospect though, if he produces that is.
                Virginia Tech.
                ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

Anthony Morelli and Kyle Wright would have been outstanding prospects if they produced.

Comment

I can see Stafford developing into a franchise QB. He has what you look for, intangibles, leadership, etc. Can make all the throws. He just needs to mature a bit more but he will be a decent if not successful NFL QB.

Comment

Originally posted by Hwoarang View Post
                      I can see Stafford developing into a franchise QB. He has what you look for, intangibles, leadership, etc. Can make all the throws. He just needs to mature a bit more but he will be a decent if not successful NFL QB.
                      i have faced you once before Hwoarang! This time i will defeat you! TEKKEN!

Hitman D

Comment

number 1 overall, kthxbye
                        We ALL bleed scarlet
                        New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
                        UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
                        Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                        BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Originally posted by JBond93 View Post
                          I think Painter could definitely go in the first and possibly be the first QB off the board. So much changes from now until April. I'm not so sure if Stafford will be on top.
                          Wait, what? You've had to have seen him play against Ohio State. What would make you think that? He has accuracy issues and always struggles against the best competition. IMO Brees and Orton were both better, both would've KILLED for Painter's running game, not to mention a Dustin Keller or Selwyn Lymon (who he had for 1 1/2 years).

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
                          <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

Originally posted by Dam8610 View Post
                            He has accuracy issues and always struggles against the best competition.
                            Are we talking about Stafford or Painter here?

Comment

Originally posted by sodar21 View Post
                              Are we talking about Stafford or Painter here?
                              Dam8610 was talking about Painter.

But I actually like Painter. Yes, it's true that he hasn't produced on the same level against teams like Ohio State and Michigan. But these teams are way better than Purdue, so I don't completely hold Painter accountable.

If your comparing him to Drew Brees, don't forget that Painter broke Brees' record by passing for almost 4,000 yards. That may be the Big Ten record too.

Also, Painter has that size at 6'4 and 224 pounds, does have some accuracy although it can improve, and has some good arm strength. I think most scouts love his quick release too. Some have compared it to Tony Romo. So Painter obviously has a lot going for him, and with such a "weak" qb draft, Painter is definitely one of the top ones as of now.

Thanks BoneKrusher! The Sig King!

Comment

I like Stafford, but he'll definately need to stay for his senior year, IMO. I have some serious question marks, and it really is true that if his completion percentage stays in the 55% range then he has virtually no chance of playing in the modern NFL.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information