Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 Draft Grades discussion

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/reviews/reviews.html

Didnt see a thread but here are Scott Wright's draft grades. So far he has only done 7 of the teams but i thought we could discuss his grades and whether we agree/disagree. So far the best grade has been given to the Chiefs, A-. The worst grade has been given to the Titans, with D+

Im interested in the grade he gives to the 49ers.

I think Atlanta did better than a B- they got their franchise QB, 3 potential defensive starters, a possible LT and a nice slot receiver in the first three rounds.

Everything after that is probably depth. But I like the addition of Brown and I think he will make a nice addition to their RB corps.

I agree with the Titans grade. They really reached without filling holes. I actually think they should have waited to take a RB, but panicked when RB's started coming off the board. Sweed and Vince together again would have been sick. They seemed to have a good feel for each other by Vince's Jr. year.

Comment

I think chicago will get a lower grade than they actually deserve from....everybody simply for the fact they didn't draft a QB. i can almost gurantee even scott mentions it somewhere in his review when he does them....

lets all conveniently ignore that they got a possible franchise LT that allows Tait to move to RT solidifying 2 spots at once. And lets ignore that they got a power runner in Forte who has a great chance of beating out benson for the starting job and could be our day 1 starter at RB. And lets forget that we got a much needed polished WR and a bigger DT in the 3rd who will each contribute significantly, if not earn starting jobs, this year.

lets just forget all that and ***** some more about the fact that they didnt take a QB. Who cares about getting 4 potential starters with their first 4 picks and go straight to pointing out how they didn't take a QB who wouldn't be any help this year anyway.....

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
        I think chicago will get a lower grade than they actually deserve from....everybody simply for the fact they didn't draft a QB. i can almost gurantee even scott mentions it somewhere in his review when he does them....

lets all conveniently ignore that they got a possible franchise LT that allows Tait to move to RT solidifying 2 spots at once. And lets ignore that they got a power runner in Forte who has a great chance of beating out benson for the starting job and could be our day 1 starter at RB. And lets forget that we got a much needed polished WR and a bigger DT in the 3rd who will each contribute significantly, if not earn starting jobs, this year.

lets just forget all that and ***** some more about the fact that they didnt take a QB. Who cares about getting 4 potential starters with their first 4 picks and go straight to pointing out how they didn't take a QB who wouldn't be any help this year anyway.....

I think people overlook Grossman did make it to the superbowl before, now he has a better rushing attack and time to throw from his backside which is huge problem, because when he gets pressured he runs around with the ball exposed and bad things happen, with a healthy D, protection and a running game I expect a turnaround...Alot of people are sleeping and must of forgot how teams turn arond in just one season, besides, it's not a lock that Henne would be better then Grossman anyway.

As far as the Titans they probably got a worse grade with reaching for William Hayes, I read all these reports about them being so high on Brian Johnston who would of make a MUCH better choice, the guy had better production and better numbers, supposedly they were very high so if you want to tak a reach there why not on him?

And again, they keep grabbing WR's who at best are #2 guys, at what point do you want to get a true #1 stud to grow with your QB? That, and the fact they let Sweed fall all the way in the 2nd to get picked right before them lost points for me, no way should you let a guy you could use get picked one spot before you, whats the cost for jumping 2 spots, a future 6th? But then they felt the need to trade up for William Hayes, not Sweed by 2 spots, didn't make sense.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
        I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Pretty damn good assessment on the Giants by Scott. Favorite quote by Scott:

Who are we to judge the Giants when it comes to evaluating defensive ends though!

Originally posted by Halsey
          I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

Comment

If you compare what the Falcons did this year to what the Browns pulled off last year, it doesn't look as good at least at the top... B- seems fair

3. Joe Thomas 3. Matt Ryan
            22. Brady Quinn 21. Sam Baker

granted, I'm a homer, but I think the Browns win out big time on talent between the two

Comment

Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
              If you compare what the Falcons did this year to what the Browns pulled off last year, it doesn't look as good at least at the top... B- seems fair

3. Joe Thomas 3. Matt Ryan
              22. Brady Quinn 21. Sam Baker

granted, I'm a homer, but I think the Browns win out big time on talent between the two
              And how would you even know that, seeing as how we have only seen one out of the 4 guys play a meaningful NFL game...We might have our educated guesses on how the other 3 will stack up, but ther drafted now so draft stock doesn't mean anything anymore, you can't even begin to compare the two until everybody has played.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                And how would you even know that, seeing as how we have only seen one out of the 4 guys play a meaningful NFL game...We might have our educated guesses on how the other 3 will stack up, but ther drafted now, so draft stock doesn't mean anything anymore, you can't even begin to compare the two until everybody has played.
                So why even grade them? That's the debate. Scott gave the Browns an A+ last year in no small part to getting Joe Thomas and Brady Quinn, who he graded out as top 5 talents compared to Matt Ryan and Sam Baker. Sam Baker as it stands now clearly is not where Joe Thomas was coming out last year.

Comment

So why even grade them? That's the debate. Scott gave the Browns an A+ last year in no small part to getting Joe Thomas and Brady Quinn, who he graded out as top 5 talents compared to Matt Ryan and Sam Baker. Sam Baker as it stands now clearly is not where Joe Thomas was coming out last year.
                  You can grade the draft as a whole, but you can't grade what the Browns did versus the Falcons this soon, how could you say the Browns made out better and we have no idea how good Baker or Ryan will be...It's one thing to grade a team's draft, its a whole nother trying to stack up a previous draft with a future draft before those guys have even played...Of course people are going to favor Joe Thomas after making the pro bowl when Baker has only ran around in shorts so far.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                    You can grade the draft as a whole, but you can't grade what the Browns did versus the Falcons this soon, how could you say the Browns made out better and we have no idea how good Baker or Ryan will be...It's one thing to grade a team's draft, its a whole nother trying to stack up a previous draft with a future draft before those guys have even played...Of course people are going to favor Joe Thomas after making the pro bowl when Baker has only ran around in shorts so far.
                    The point is that the browns came out with what people thought at the time would be their franchise QB and LT.

The falcons on the other hand are rated lower because they got a franchise QB and then reached for a player that most think will not be a successful LT.

Going off of just the player's stock at the time of each draft, not including anything that has happened while they were pros, the browns look a lot better.

Comment

You could do the same thing with Brady Quinn and Matt Ryan. Matt Ryan was valued as a top 3 pick by atleast 2 teams (Ravens and Falcons.) While Brady Quinn slid all the way down to the Browns.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
                        You could do the same thing with Brady Quinn and Matt Ryan. Matt Ryan was valued as a top 3 pick by atleast 2 teams (Ravens and Falcons.) While Brady Quinn slid all the way down to the Browns.
                        The difference between Joe Thomas and Sam Baker is much much larger than the small(if any) difference between Matt Ryan and Brady Quinn

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVI-P_XQsfg

Heres a video about the 49ers "reaching" for a "frail, weak-armed QB" that was heavily questioned but paid off big time down the road.

Just a reminder that while grades are fun to do and provide a spark for discussion, they arent the end all-be all and not to get too worked up over them.

Comment

I fully expect Scott to take a letter grade off his draft review of the Jets because they won their last game of the season.
                            Last edited by AlexDown; 05-14-2008, 10:28 PM.

Comment

I think he was to nice to Oakland.The McFadden pick was good but it could have been better.
                              The Hall trade was another trade we never needed to make.
                              The fact that we traded our 3rd rounder this year for Mario Henderson was just awful.
                              Trading up to get a guy we didnt need and who wont contribute that much except for ST's was also a dumb pick.It doesnt matter if the guy could have gone in the 2nd or 3rd round he obviously didnt.Which may mean that the teams themselves never thought of him as a day one guy.Its still a bad pick.
                              Trading away our NB for a guy who played one game during his senior season,in a division two school and also is playing a position that isnt a need was also horrible.Not to mention were now without a NB.We just created one more hole in the team with that trade.Just stupid.
                              The Scott pick was good. Although the 6th round is a little bit late to start addressing needs.
                              The Schields pick was ok seeing how it was a 7th rounder but it probably could have been better.
                              Id give us a C at best.
                              Last edited by doingthisinsteadofwork; 05-14-2008, 10:51 PM.
                              "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information