Rey Maualuga vs. James Laurinaitis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rey Maualuga vs. James Laurinaitis

Continuing with my theme...I think they are the top LB prospects in the draft. Both are listed as ILBs but would either be able to make a transition outside to a strong or weak LB? Which is better suited for a 4-3? Who do you think will be a better NFL player in your thoughts?

2011 FA: FS - OJ Atogwe
    2011 Draft Picks: Ryan Kerrigan-OLB-Purdue, Jarvis Jenkins-DE-Clemson, Leonard Hankerson-WR-Miami, Roy Helu-RB-Nebraska, DeJon Gomes-CB/S-Nebraska, Niles Paul-WR-Nebraska, Evan Royster-RB-Penn State, Aldrick Robinson-WR-SMU, Brandyn Thompson-CB-Boise State, Maurice Hurt-OG-Florida, Markus White-OLB-Florida State, Chris Neild-NT-West Virginia

Think about it this way, Rey Maualuga is more like a Ray Lewis and James Laurinaitis is probably more of a Jonathan Vilma...if that helps

p.s. what does anyone think of those camparisons?
    I'm doing a real job now...well, semi-real.

Check out my twitter @mrocchio42 and check out my radio show on wqqx1490am.com. I'm on every morning with Pro Football HoF voter and NFL regular season awards voter, Howard Balzer. It's always a blast from 9-11.

Comment

I would love to take Rey but with Fletcher still going strong, he will be behind him and not starting. Thats why I asked if either could kick out until Fletcher retires and then back to the middle later?

2011 FA: FS - OJ Atogwe
      2011 Draft Picks: Ryan Kerrigan-OLB-Purdue, Jarvis Jenkins-DE-Clemson, Leonard Hankerson-WR-Miami, Roy Helu-RB-Nebraska, DeJon Gomes-CB/S-Nebraska, Niles Paul-WR-Nebraska, Evan Royster-RB-Penn State, Aldrick Robinson-WR-SMU, Brandyn Thompson-CB-Boise State, Maurice Hurt-OG-Florida, Markus White-OLB-Florida State, Chris Neild-NT-West Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by rockio42 View Post
        Think about it this way, Rey Maualuga is more like a Ray Lewis and James Laurinaitis is probably more of a Jonathan Vilma...if that helps

The Rey to Ray comp has been popular for a while. Not entirely sure about the Vilma one.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Banner View Post
          The Rey to Ray comp has been popular for a while. Not entirely sure about the Vilma one.
          Im saying that because James can obviously play the 4-3 but people wonder whether he can play ILB in the 3-4
          I'm doing a real job now...well, semi-real.

Check out my twitter @mrocchio42 and check out my radio show on wqqx1490am.com. I'm on every morning with Pro Football HoF voter and NFL regular season awards voter, Howard Balzer. It's always a blast from 9-11.

Comment

I don't know as much about these guys as I do Mays and Moore, but for now, I say I'd go with Maualuga over Laurinaitis. Both can disappear for long stretches, sometimes even whole games, and I don't really like that about either. Both are very good prospects, and I honestly can't say who I think is better.

Maualaga covers OK from what I can see for a LB, and is great in the run game and gets in the backfield pretty well. He may be able to play outside in the NFl, but it woudl depend on the team and the scheme.

Laurinaitis also is decnt in coverage, but here is where I think he has a little bit of an edge over Laurinitis. But like Maualuga, is very good in run coverage.

If I had to pick one now I'd have to say Rey, he's had so many great games with such great talent around him. (Though thte same could be said aobut Laurinaitis.
            Last edited by eaglesalltheway; 09-05-2008, 02:55 PM.
            Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

Pure Tampa 2 defense where the LB drops back as a pseudo third safety, give me James.
              Any other defense, I'll take Rey.

Comment

Rey reminds me of Lawrence Timmons with much better production and experience

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
                Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

Rey is much more Jeremiah Trotter (when he was beasting his first time around with the Eagles) than Ray Lewis. He's a thumper, at his best when he's moving forward and disrupting things around the line of scrimmage.

Comment

This one is not even close. Rey Rey is miles ahead of the most overrated player in the country. Unlike my dislike and concerns for Malcolm Jenkins and Chris Wells there is no hope for James Laurinaits in the NFL. Jenkins and Wells have fixable flaws, but Laurinaitis was just an ESPN creation and a beneficiary of great players around him and the Dlineman eating up all the potential blockers.

Comment

Originally posted by Cribbs>Hester View Post
                      This one is not even close. Rey Rey is miles ahead of the most overrated player in the country. Unlike my dislike and concerns for Malcolm Jenkins and Chris Wells there is no hope for James Laurinaits in the NFL. Jenkins and Wells have fixable flaws, but Laurinaitis was just an ESPN creation and a beneficiary of great players around him and the Dlineman eating up all the potential blockers.
                      So you will go on record by saying that James will fail in the NFL?

Comment

Rey: Rey rey rey Rey, Rey rey rey Rey. Sean Lee. I mean, Rey.

Comment

Originally posted by Cribbs>Hester View Post
                          Jenkins and Wells have fixable flaws, but Laurinaitis was just an ESPN creation and a beneficiary of great players around him and the Dlineman eating up all the potential blockers.
                          Hell, this argument can be used for so many other LBs around the country if you wanted to. As for the ESPN creation part, if his play didn't match all the hype he wouldn't continue getting as much praise as he still does.

Comment

Originally posted by rockio42 View Post

kinda sorta but not exactly. close enough. If I run a cover 2 I'd love Laurinaitis. You gotta have good DTs for him really. I've seen a more or at least a lot of places say JL is a better prospect right now.......but personally I think I'd put Maualuga higher right now on my draft board. He reminds me of Katzenmoyer but not as good :p. Big Kat had like 12 sacks or something and won a butkus.

Comment

Originally posted by 619 View Post
                              Hell, this argument can be used for so many other LBs around the country if you wanted to. As for the ESPN creation part, if his play didn't match all the hype he wouldn't continue getting as much praise as he still does.
                              Plenty of hyped guys have worked out in the NFL though...

Follow Me on Twitter!
                              https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information