what happened to Everette Brown?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what happened to Everette Brown?

The guy was a stud at Florida State, one of the most dynamic pass rushers in the country, all he does is make plays, has a very solid combine (4th fastest 40), and Mayock doesn't have him in his top 20?? Don Banks has him going late first in his SI mock? I don't get it.

Can someone explain to me why Everette Brown isn't considered an elite prospect? Is it purely because he's 6'2" not 6'4"? Really? what am I missing?

when I look at film of Everette Brown i see shades of a healthy Shawne merriman. i guess it's just me...
    my shoes hurt

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

He's still a very highly rated prospect and by most accounts, a Top 15-20 pick. It's tough to see him drop out of the Top 10 with Green Bay and San Francisco aligned in the 3-4, even tougher to see him out of the Top 15 with Buffalo interested in generating a pass-rush from the DE spot, with Denver now moving to the 3-4, and also with Washington needing an outside pass-rush.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
    - For daily NFL draft coverage:
    www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

He isn't all that strong is a big issue IMO. Combine that with size (Merriman is about 275, Brown is not even close,) and he is just a bit raw. Honestly, I still think he COULD go #5, but we will see.

Follow Me on Twitter!
      https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

He's actually 6'1'' and not even 250 pounds. He's a speed rusher. A situational guy no different than Antwan Barnes really. Like all FSU guys they're all incredibly raw and get by on their pure athleticism. That doesn't cut in the pros. Ask Kamerion Wimbley. It's hard to get the QB in the NFL when you try to run by every OT on every play. Being predictable and lacking any kind pass rush repertoire is worst thing an undersize, one-dimensional, speed rusher can be.

Guys can come into the league and have instant success with a speed rush and nothing more, but to be great, or even consistent, you need to have size, technique, and a variety of moves. It's also nice to see a guy hold the point of attack consistently.

If he didn't play at FSU he would have never been as highly rated as he was. He might have to take the same route as Lawrence Timmons. ILB in a 34 defense. I don't think he's athletic enough or experienced to play OLB in a base 43 defense to be taken in the first 3 rounds. I don't think he has the size to rush the passer in any scheme as an every down player. So what is he?

I have a lot of question marks about him, and that means there's a greater chance he fails. His athletic ability will get him drafted in the first two rounds, but nothing more.
        Originally posted by Scott Wright
        I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
        Originally posted by PossibleCabbage
        I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
        Originally posted by bearsfan_51
        iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
        Originally posted by GatorsBullsFan
        I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
        Originally posted by GoRavens
        Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Comment

If he's available at 18 and the Oher is not, his fall stops there imo. With the way the Bears like their DEs and with Marinelli as the new d-line coach, I think Everette would be a great pick up by them there. I think he could be to our defense was Simeon Rice was the Bucs of a few years back.

I really don't get the hate either, but I guess it's better for me, heh. And for what its worth, Everette >>>>>>>>> Maybin. And this is from a PSU fan.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBanger View Post
            He's actually 6'1'' and not even 250 pounds. He's a speed rusher. A situational guy no different than Antwan Barnes really. Like all FSU guys they're all incredibly raw and get by on their pure athleticism. That doesn't cut in the pros.
            official combine numbers have him at 6014 256 and he's got moves. He's moves for his moves. Swim, rip, push pull, spin he's got all those. Rak is the Bull Rush only guy.

but I guess more people are seeing it your way than seeing it my way. maybe 4-3 teams see him as an OLB? Someone's gonna get a steal. ask me, he's basically the best pass rusher in the draft.
            my shoes hurt

Comment

Originally posted by BigBanger View Post
              He's actually 6'1'' and not even 250 pounds.
              Just to clarify, Brown came it at 6' 1 1/2" and 256 lbs at the Combine.

Then he put up one of the better numbers on the bench press.

Is he raw? Sure. Yes, he's basically 6'1" but his weight (i.e. his bulk ratio of weight to height) is not really that bad. With an extra two and a half inches, Orakpo is only 7 lbs heavier.

Oldie but a goodie.

Comment

Originally posted by JBond93 View Post
                He isn't all that strong is a big issue IMO. Combine that with size (Merriman is about 275, Brown is not even close,) and he is just a bit raw. Honestly, I still think he COULD go #5, but we will see.
                Everette Brown was one of the nastiest bull rushers in college this year. He's a complete pass rusher. I've seen him beat his man 3/4/5 straight times, each time with a different move. You can't just label him as "another FSU athlete". Do they all share the same genetics and grow up in the same facility? Are they given secret potions to make them "athaletes"? Everette Brown is not Kamerion Wimbley, and vice versa.

I hate to go down that road, but a guy named Freeney from Syracuse wasn't the biggest guy either....

In a weak class like this, Brown should be a top-5 pick for sure.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by JBond93 View Post
                  He isn't all that strong is a big issue IMO.

again, 26 reps at the combine would say different. He's not the incredible hulk but alot of guys didn't even lift. Ayers only had 18.
                  Last edited by Scott Wright; 03-02-2009, 07:16 PM.
                  my shoes hurt

Comment

Originally posted by etk View Post
                    In a weak class like this, Brown should be a top-5 pick for sure.

thank you on this we agree 100%
                    my shoes hurt

Comment

I have EB rated in the 7-12 range overall. I am HUGE fan of his. When people were projecting KC to take RAK, I was dead set on telling them to give KC EB before Rak Mommy. Could still get drafted at 5 by Clevleland.

Dont kill me though, I wouldnt mind him in KC
                      my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                      <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                      <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                      <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                      Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                      What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Benching is more endurance than pure strength. They should have prospects show their max bench/squat at the combine instead.

Comment

Originally posted by nyqua View Post
                          Benching is more endurance than pure strength. They should have prospects show their max bench/squat at the combine instead.
                          ahahh so they can get injured, no prospect would even take part in it. Strength is great to have but it can be built. Thats why coaches aren't as worried about it, they have strength and conditioning program to put these players in.

It also helps to show work ethic, like the kicker from USC putting it up 25 times.

Comment

I think his size is going to push him to a 3-4 OLB so when compared to linebackers his numbers are ok but not spectacular. I think a bunch of guys deciding to stay in school have probably helped guys like Brown and Maybin move up maybe higher than they should. I'd propably be more of a buyer of the OTs and the Wrs in this draft before i got into the OLBs but to each his own.

Comment

Originally posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
                              Just to clarify, Brown came it at 6' 1 1/2" and 256 lbs at the Combine.

Then he put up one of the better numbers on the bench press.

Is he raw? Sure. Yes, he's basically 6'1" but his weight (i.e. his bulk ratio of weight to height) is not really that bad. With an extra two and a half inches, Orakpo is only 7 lbs heavier.
                              I don't really know the knocks on Orakpo (Other than he was a late bloomer and being raw), but I would venture to say that his maxed-out frame is a concern. It's a big reason why I don't have him in the top 10. I can't speak for scouts, but I see his size, and I push him out of the top 10.

Brown being 6'1'' brings a lot question marks. Very few players play DE or OLB (34) at 6'1''. Brown has an elite first step and the burst and ability to turn the corner of a top 10 pick. He has a very good spin move. Everyone knows that, and for that you get Dwight Freeney comparisons.

The guy got a ton of sacks against VERY SLOW tackles and guards that just couldn't match up with his speed and athletic ability. Against NFL tackles it just ain't going to be that easy, and his size will be something he has to overcome. He's never had to overcome his size. His athletic ability always put the opposing guy at a disadvantage. Now, he's going to see much stronger, faster, and BIGGER tackles at the next level. If he faced a 6'5'' guy in college, that guy couldn't move at all and Brown would just run around him, then hit him with a spin.

I really don't see him being anything more than a situational guy. I could see him putting up some sacks and having a successful career if he lands in the right situation, but I don't want a guy that's 6'1'' playing 60 downs for my team at DE or OLB.
                              Last edited by BigBanger; 03-02-2009, 05:38 PM.
                              Originally posted by Scott Wright
                              I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
                              Originally posted by PossibleCabbage
                              I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
                              Originally posted by bearsfan_51
                              iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
                              Originally posted by GatorsBullsFan
                              I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
                              Originally posted by GoRavens
                              Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information