Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Josh Freeman: the Jay Cutler of this draft?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Josh Freeman: the Jay Cutler of this draft?

I find it interesting how both quarterbacks had very similar careers, although everyone loved Cutler and everyone hates Freeman. Freeman comes out two years younger than Cutler and as a junior, but actually has more starting experience. This is a matchup of them as prospects:

Jay Cutler (SR), 6'3" 230

45 career starts

2005 (SR): 3,073 yards (59.1%), 6.65 YPA, 21 TD, 9 INT

Vanderbilt: 5-7

---

Josh Freeman (JR) 6'6", 250

33 career starts

2008 (JR): 2,945 yards (58.6%), 7.71 YPA, 20 TD, 8 INT (14 rush TD)

Kansas State: 5-7

I'm not exactly seeing what made Cutler such a Godly prospect on this site and what makes Freeman a colossal bust.
    Last edited by Shane P. Hallam; 03-11-2009, 06:02 PM.

I think Cutler was more of a pure passer, stats are great and all, but looking at the tape, Cutler was a lot more polished. Now, that being said, Freeman has a ceiling that is Cutler-esque, but I think Cutler combined many of those attributes with a more polished overall look to put him in that top range.

Follow Me on Twitter!
    https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

Freeman is from the town of Kwanzaa.

Comment

Originally posted by JBond93 View Post
        I think Cutler was more of a pure passer, stats are great and all, but looking at the tape, Cutler was a lot more polished. Now, that being said, Freeman has a ceiling that is Cutler-esque, but I think Cutler combined many of those attributes with a more polished overall look to put him in that top range.
        I remember Cutler making a lot of questionable throws and throws off of his back foot or into multiple coverage. He's continued to do that in the NFL, where he has 32 INTs in his last 32 starts, without a winning record or playoff appearance. He's a good quarterback right now and could be a top one, but I wouldn't say he's very polished. I wouldn't be surprised if Freeman went in the same range as Cutler, even possibly ahead of Mark Sanchez (and for people who think that's ridiculous, remember that Miami almost traded up not for Brady Quinn but for John Beck.)

Comment

Originally posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
          I remember Cutler making a lot of questionable throws and throws off of his back foot or into multiple coverage. He's continued to do that in the NFL, where he has 32 INTs in his last 32 starts, without a winning record or playoff appearance. He's a good quarterback right now and could be a top one, but I wouldn't say he's very polished. I wouldn't be surprised if Freeman went in the same range as Cutler, even possibly ahead of Mark Sanchez (and for people who think that's ridiculous, remember that Miami almost traded up not for Brady Quinn but for John Beck.)
          I didn't say he was very polished coming out, just a lot more than Freeman. Cutler had more of a gunslinger attitude, which was his knock. Freeman just doesn't make the throws sometimes and struggles identifying coverage I believe. Thus the difference. Stats are not the be all end all.

Follow Me on Twitter!
          https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

Pure athletics Josh Freeman may be the best QB prospect in a while. But when it comes to knowledge, that's his knock. He struggles with coverages, but he is used to playing in a pro-style offense which will help his stock. He could turn out awesome or bust big time.
            Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

I would say it's more inconsistency than anything - he had all of his interceptions in three games this year (and in the Oklahoma game, he also threw for 478 yards and 3 TDs), and aside from those three games, had 28 total TD with no INTs in the other 9. He has extensive experience in a pro system and his YPA went up big time since last year, even without legitimate NFL prospects on his offense playing in the Big 12. Also, he's the second best QB in a while athletically, the top being JaMarcus Russell.

Comment

Originally posted by TimDris View Post
                Pure athletics Josh Freeman may be the best QB prospect in a while. But when it comes to knowledge, that's his knock. He struggles with coverages, but he is used to playing in a pro-style offense which will help his stock. He could turn out awesome or bust big time.
                I'm not convinced any team in the Big-12 plays in what you would call a pro style offense and i'm not convinced that Freeman is more athletic than Stafford of Sanchez.

Comment

Cutler beat better teams, played better in big games, and stayed 4 years. Freeman beat worse teams, played like garbage in big games (check his Kansas games) and stayed 3 years.
                  my shoes hurt

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

Comment

Originally posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
                    I find it interesting how both quarterbacks had very similar careers, although everyone loved Cutler and everyone hates Freeman. Freeman comes out two years younger than Cutler and as a junior, but actually has more starting experience. This is a matchup of them as prospects:

Jay Cutler (SR), 6'3" 230

22 career starts

2005 (SR): 3,073 yards (59.1%), 6.65 YPA, 21 TD, 9 INT

Vanderbilt: 5-7

---

Josh Freeman (JR) 6'6", 250

33 career starts

2008 (JR): 2,945 yards (58.6%), 7.71 YPA, 20 TD, 8 INT (14 rush TD)

Kansas State: 5-7

I'm not exactly seeing what made Cutler such a Godly prospect on this site and what makes Freeman a colossal bust.

Cutler started 45 games most in Vandy history, not 22. He was a 4 year starter and a 3 year captain.
                    my shoes hurt

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

Comment

Originally posted by bitonti View Post
                      Cutler started 45 games most in Vandy history, not 22. He was a 4 year starter and a 3 year captain.
                      I was mistaken - ESPN.com didn't show any statistics for his first two years. You sure you wanted to bring up that 48% completion percentage as a freshman? He really only played well as a senior.

Comment

I dunno... I'm thinking more along the lines of Kyle Boller.

Comment

cutler also played against sec defenses with a team that doesnt belong in the sec, and freeman did it in the big 12 against swiss cheese defenses, and he had Jordy Nelson who was a great receiver in the 2007 season who caught anything that was near his vicinity

Comment

Originally posted by batsandgats View Post
                            cutler also played against sec defenses with a team that doesnt belong in the sec, and freeman did it in the big 12 against swiss cheese defenses, and he had Jordy Nelson who was a great receiver in the 2007 season who caught anything that was near his vicinity
                            UndereZzzZZztimated factor. Freeman is better than Cutler because at some point Jordy probably gave him a high five.

Comment

Originally posted by CC.SD View Post
                              UndereZzzZZztimated factor. Freeman is better than Cutler because at some point Jordy probably gave him a high five.
                              hahaha, and he gave him the chest bounce

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information