Robert Ayers- a top 10 pick?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Ayers- a top 10 pick?

According to a mock draft by Michael Lombardi, a former NFL GM..

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...en-mock-draft/

Robert Ayers was the 10th selection for the 49ers. Now normally if its a mock draft i dont put a whole lot of stock into it or anything but...Lombardi is actually a former GM. He definitely has some credence.
    Do you see Ayers as a top 10 selection? Has he climbed that high? And if so, would it be a wise choice?

This guy also has Maybin in the Top 10. I can see both Maybin and Ayers as mid-1st round picks but I'm not sure I can see either cracking the top 10 unless they do something spectacular at their pro days.

Comment

Thats most likely why he's a former GM....

It's one thing when a guy who underachieved in college raises his stock up from undrafted to late round pick with great workouts. Or even when a borderline guy goes one round sooner.

But seriously, Ayers going from mid round pick to top 10 pick seems a little absurd. I wouldn't even want him at 18 and DE is still a top need for the Bears.

Comment

Top 10 - Probably not.
        Top 20 - A definite possibility.

Comment

I can see him going to the Bills, so I don't think it that's big of a stretch. A lot of those analysts have him as a top 15 prospect and I think Mayock has him as his top DE so I think this is very realistic.
          Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
            Thats most likely why he's a former GM....

It's one thing when a guy who underachieved in college raises his stock up from undrafted to late round pick with great workouts. Or even when a borderline guy goes one round sooner.

But seriously, Ayers going from mid round pick to top 10 pick seems a little absurd. I wouldn't even want him at 18 and DE is still a top need for the Bears.
            There are folks out there that are really falling in love with workouts why too much IMO.

Comment

In my mock, I have him going no. 11 to the Bills, so I obviously see it as a possibility.

The guy has impressed Scouts and has raised his stock tremendously, and he did it without huge numbers at the combine but with domination at the senior bowl.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Comment

Top 20, but I don't think top 10.

Comment

He had three sacks his senior year! Michael Johnson had more sacks this year than Ayers did in his last three years at school. I still haven't heard from anyone who was the last college 4-3 DE with three or less sacks to be drafted in the first round, let alone the top 10. Completely absurd.

Comment

I'm a big fan of him, but would'nt touch him until the start of round two. I would'nt be surprised if shows he's worthy of a top 10 selection in a couple of years, but based off what he did in college, a first round pick in general is quite generous.

Comment

I have him going #28 in my last mock to Philadelphia, because he fits in pretty well there, but even then I thought I was being generous with his draft position. I'd rather miss out on the guy if I'm a team picking in the teens than reach by about a round on where his value is.

Comment

Originally posted by Cicero View Post
                        He had three sacks his senior year! Michael Johnson had more sacks this year than Ayers did in his last three years at school. I still haven't heard from anyone who was the last college 4-3 DE with three or less sacks to be drafted in the first round, let alone the top 10. Completely absurd.
                        There's a little more that factors in to a prospects eventual draft placement than sack numbers. Why aren't you arguing for David Veikune to be drafted ahead of Michael Johnson then if you want to make career sacks your main criteria for a DE to be drafted in the 1st round? Someone did answer your question in the other thread as well. It was Kentwan Balmer just last year.
                        Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
                        RIP themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
                          There's a little more that factors in to a prospects eventual draft placement than sack numbers. Why aren't you arguing for David Veikune to be drafted ahead of Michael Johnson then if you want to make career sacks your main criteria for a DE to be drafted in the 1st round? Someone did answer your question in the other thread as well. It was Kentwan Balmer just last year.
                          Didn't Balmer play DT in college?

Comment

Originally posted by I KNOW IT ALL View Post
                            Didn't Balmer play DT in college?
                            But he was drafted to play DE for the 49ers. It's a technicality but then again, Ayers might not even play DE for whoever drafts him.
                            Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
                            RIP themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
                              Balmer wasn't a 4-3 DE in college.

Career sacks obviously isn't my only criteria. However, production is important and when you are talking about someone being a top ten pick while never having more than 4 sacks in a year in college I can't help but laugh. No one can name the last DE who was drafted in round 1 who had 3 sacks or less (and played the full season, and was a real 4-3 DE) because it doesn't happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information