Mark Sanchez Is Media Savvy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Sanchez Is Media Savvy

Let me preface by saying I've always preferred Sanchez over Stafford before the whole off-season process started...

With that said, I'm watching Mark Sanchez on the set on Path to the Draft and it's completely amazing how smooth the guy is in his interviews. I thought Scott was simply being hyperbolic with saying that some teams might be overlooking the lack of experience from Sanchez and being so enamored with how he carries himself, but I could EASILY see that could be the case.

Maybe DHB should take media lessons from Sanchez.
    The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

He even tweets ;)
    I want a sig.

Comment

His agent is smart because he's been on about 50 shows the past few weeks. You just hope teams are moving him up just for that reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
        Let me preface by saying I've always preferred Sanchez over Stafford before the whole off-season process started...

With that said, I'm watching Mark Sanchez on the set on Path to the Draft and it's completely amazing how smooth the guy is in his interviews. I thought Scott was simply being hyperbolic with saying that some teams might be overlooking the lack of experience from Sanchez and being so enamored with how he carries himself, but I could EASILY see that could be the case.

Maybe DHB should take media lessons from Sanchez.
        It's just interviews, I don't get why a team would care about that kind of stuff. As long as your not Ryan Leaf amounts of crazy it shouldn't matter at all.

Comment

This media barnstorming that Sanchez and his agents are doing is genius... They are marketing him as a face of the franchise that will make a difference in ticket sales and media hype surrounding an organization. Sanchez is a more gregarious personality than Stafford. His people recognize this, and are capitalizing on it. He is already branding himself and making the most of every opportunity he has to get himself in front of the camera and on the minds of NFL teams.

Comment

Originally posted by initial_flo View Post
            It's just interviews, I don't get why a team would care about that kind of stuff. As long as your not Ryan Leaf amounts of crazy it shouldn't matter at all.
            The fact is, it DOES matter though. It basically a huge job interview for these prospects (not necessarily being on the NFL Network, but more so when a team wine and dine a player). Teams aren't trying to have players like Pacman Jones on their team anymore. If you bomb in interviews with these teams, it can hurt your stock no matter how good of a player you might be on the field.
            The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

Joey Harrington was very media savvy, glib, and charming as hell too.

Same goes for Brady Quinn.

People are really going overboard with how well Sanchez gives "great face".

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                The fact is, it DOES matter though. It basically a huge job interview for these prospects (not necessarily being on the NFL Network, but more so when a team wine and dine a player). Teams aren't trying to have players like Pacman Jones on their team anymore. If you bomb in interviews with these teams, it can hurt your stock no matter how good of a player you might be on the field.
                Yeah no ****, you don't want felons on your team.

But just because you had fun on your man date with Mark Sanchez does not mean his status should be sky rocketing.

Comment

I'm not saying Sanchez reminds me of him as a player, but when I see him on TV with that winning smile and great personality I can't help but think of:

Joey's great with the press.

Comment

Originally posted by initial_flo View Post
                    Yeah no ****, you don't want felons on your team.

But just because you had fun on your man date with Mark Sanchez does not mean his status should be sky rocketing.
                    If he has the same or similar grade in the draft, and he can sell tickets, or make more people watch, then I think it makes all the difference in the world.

Comment

Mark Sanchez is a heck of a player and I don't fault people who have liked him better than Stafford all along. I don't agree with it but it's a viable opinion.

However I wonder what has happened recently for Sanchez to move ahead of Stafford on some boards after having it the other way around for the last four months. Was it based on a Pro Day workout? If so that is terrible because the next top quarterback who has a bad Pro Day will be the first. Gil Brandt couldn't stop raving about Alex Smith's Pro Day workout.

I like Sanchez and think he is one of the Top 10 prospects in this draft. With that said I do believe people are falling in love with Mark Sanchez the person (who can blame them) and perhaps subconsciously ignoring some flaws in Matt Sanchez the football player.
                      Scott Wright, President
                      Draft Countdown.com
                      www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
                      www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by jnew76 View Post
                        If he has the same or similar grade in the draft, and he can sell tickets, or make more people watch, then I think it makes all the difference in the world.
                        If all else equal, sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
                          I'm not saying Sanchez reminds me of him as a player, but when I see him on TV with that winning smile and great personality I can't help but think of:

Joey's great with the press.

Peyton Manning is great with the media.
                          So is Tom Brady.

You chose to compare him to Harrington because you dont like him and he takes away from your hometown player Stafford.

Ive preffered Sanchez since last fall over Stafford and held true to that since he entered the draft. Stafford to me will be similar to Eli early on, as hes not a vocal leader and the media will get on him unfairly for that, but to me hes answered my personal questions of his intangibles as a he seems legit and the type that guys will follow. I dont think he holds up to Sanchez in that way though.
                          Originally posted by Thumper/JBCX/Bixby
                          Orton will never be in the same class as the Drew Brees or the Peyton Mannings or the Tom Bradys of the world. Kevin Kolb has the potential to be that kind of player.

Comment

Originally posted by hockey619 View Post
                            Peyton Manning is great with the media.
                            So is Tom Brady.

You chose to compare him to Harrington because you dont like him and he takes away from your hometown player Stafford.

Ive preffered Sanchez since last fall over Stafford and held true to that since he entered the draft. Stafford to me will be similar to Eli early on, as hes not a vocal leader and the media will get on him unfairly for that, but to me hes answered my personal questions of his intangibles as a he seems legit and the type that guys will follow. I dont think he holds up to Sanchez in that way though.
                            Yeah, I pretty clearly said I wasn't comparing them as players, only showing that media savvy doesn't mean much. As far as Stafford being my hometown boy, it's not like I'm the only one saying Stafford is the top QB in the Draft. I'm pretty sure being my hometown QB is not the reason Stafford is the #1 QB in most people's opinions. ;)

Comment

People shouldn't bring up Harrington and stuff to take away from this fact. Does it necessarily mean much? Well, no, but it's just an added bonus, it's not as if anyone should try NOT to be a good personality.

Point is, it's a nice perk to have and shouldn't be overlooked, even though it clearly doesn't determine how well the player will do.
                              PICTURE ME ROLLIN'
                              GO COLTS! NAPTOWN

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information