It seems to me that the QB position is more mental than physical

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It seems to me that the QB position is more mental than physical

So why do we put so much weight into their physical intangibles? Why does it matter if they have a huge arm? Why does it matter if they're taller than 6'3"? Jeff Garcia has hardly any physical tools (and is very short), but he wins wherever he goes. Drew Brees is about the same height and doesn't really noticeably excel in any physical way. Peyton Manning's arm strength is average. The list goes on.

It seems like QBs that get drafted based on their body fail more often than they succeed, whereas intelligent, confident QBs can thrive despite any potential physical setbacks.

So my point is this, when rating a prospect for the draft, why aren't the mental factors more boldly outlined? People drool over how strong or fast they are, but the evidence seems to point in the direction of mind over matter when it comes to the player on the team who is, afterall, the game's real decision maker on the field.

Also, I fully expect my reputation to go down a couple 1000 points after this since the only kind of topics I make go against common opinion, it seems, but...I don't really understand the point of it anyway so, flame away.
    Last edited by 3pac; 04-21-2009, 07:50 PM.
    PICTURE ME ROLLIN'
    GO COLTS! NAPTOWN

It's called a combination of things, like a a good grinder from the deli. you want good meats, sauces and bread but if the veggies are bad or the person making it doesn't have a clue then it will suck. you need the right balance and be in the right system to have a good grinder.

if i was about intangibles and IQ John Clayton would be an HoF QB.
    my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
    <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
    <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
    <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
    Originally posted by Hermstheman83
    What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by bored of education View Post
      It's called a combination of things, like a a good grinder from the deli. you want good meats, sauces and bread but if the veggies are bad or the person making it doesn't have a clue then it will suck. you need the right balance and be in the right system to have a good grinder.

if i was about intangibles and IQ John Clayton would be an HoF QB.
      Yes, obviously, don't take what I said out of context. You know as well as I do I don't mean simply their literal "IQ", or that I don't think athleticism matters.
      PICTURE ME ROLLIN'
      GO COLTS! NAPTOWN

Comment

That is just a bunch of BS that basially means they cant measure heart work ethic and determination at the combine sountil they can there is no obvious answer to your question

Comment

I'll take a smart, 6'3 QB with a strong arm and sturdy build. You can have a smart, 5'9 QB with a noodle arm and a frail build.

Comment

That depends are the 2 qbs in question Ryan Leaf and Jeff Garcia?

Comment

yes and no. You have to not a be a nutcase and freak out after bad throws, drops, tough losses etc.

but you need the physical talent to make the throws.
              We ALL bleed scarlet
              New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
              UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
              Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
              BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
                I'll take a smart, 6'3 QB with a strong arm and sturdy build. You can have a smart, 5'9 QB with a noodle arm and a frail build.
                That's not my comparison. The comparison is smart, confident 5'9 QB with noodle arm and frail build vs. mentally-slow, easily-intimidated 6'3 QB with strong arm and sturdy build.

And I'd rather have the former any day of the week.....yet we still give players like JaMarcus Russell priority.
                PICTURE ME ROLLIN'
                GO COLTS! NAPTOWN

Comment

The idea that having good physical tools somehow makes a player dumb is just silly. There is no negative correlation between physical tools and mental aptitude. Fans who think like that simply don't know how to evaluate QB's in the least bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
                    The idea that having good physical tools somehow makes a player dumb is just silly. There is no negative correlation between physical tools and mental aptitude. Fans who think like that simply don't know how to evaluate QB's in the least bit.
                    Please find when I said that, I'd love to see it in writing. I never said there was an either/or correlation. The point is that physical tools are highly overrated, and not only that, but are CONCENTRATED on. When people talk about QB prospects, the first things they talk about are how far they can throw a football or how fast they are for scrambling, despite the fact that the Jeff Garcias, Chad Penningtons, etc all show that those intangibles are not necessary.

But when was the last time a QB had real success while lacking football IQ or being easily intimidated? Obviously if they have both, great, and no - having one doesn't mean they don't have the other - but I see no argument why someone would take a quarterback based on their arms.
                    PICTURE ME ROLLIN'
                    GO COLTS! NAPTOWN

Comment

Do you make a new thread for every new thought that pops into your head? You're like GRF, albeit much less entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                        Do you make a new thread for every new thought that pops into your head? You're like GRF, albeit much less entertaining.
                        Pretty much.
                        PICTURE ME ROLLIN'
                        GO COLTS! NAPTOWN

Comment

Physical tools can be measured and compared and generally are much harder to teach. You cant teach 6'6 and JRuss arm. You can teach him how to read a D though in theory.

And some times good physical tools do lead to his head being behind the 8 ball, as he was able to get by on physical ability to make up for his mental mistakes, so he never needed to learn and fix his approach to the game.
                          Originally posted by Thumper/JBCX/Bixby
                          Orton will never be in the same class as the Drew Brees or the Peyton Mannings or the Tom Bradys of the world. Kevin Kolb has the potential to be that kind of player.

Comment

Manning has average arm strength? There are about 15 that can throw it more sharply? uh...

I don't think you're making a lot of sense. The physical freaks who go really high are also supposed to be smart. The projects usually go later (Derek Anderson).

A lot of smart QBs went relatively high, there weren't THAT many taken before Brees. Garcia went to San Jose State so he was lucky to follow Young.

Lefors, Troy Smith, Gradkowski, etc. are why they don't assume everyone can be Brees. What DIDN'T Smith do up to the last game, that was a really complete season against a tough schedule, legit Heisman, and Flacco has better tools (plus smarts but maybe Smith is as smart).
                            Last edited by singe_101; 04-21-2009, 09:18 PM.
                            DeAngelo Hall looks like James Harden.

Comment

Originally posted by singe_101 View Post
                              Manning has average arm strength? There are about 15 that can throw it more sharply? uh...

I don't think you're making a lot of sense. The physical freaks who go really high are also supposed to be smart. The projects usually go later (Derek Anderson).

A lot of smart QBs went relatively high, there weren't THAT many taken before Brees. Garcia went to San Jose State so he was lucky to follow Young.

Lefors, Troy Smith, Gradkowski, etc. are why they don't assume everyone can be Brees. What DIDN'T Smith do up to the last game, that was a really complete season against a tough schedule, legit Heisman, and Flacco has better tools (plus smarts but maybe Smith is as smart).
                              I've been a Colts fan since I was a toddler, I've watched every game. Peyton's arm strength isn't anything *special*. He DOES however have tremendous accuracy when throwing it "far," which is more than many big-armed-QBs can say.

Plus, there are plenty of QBs with questionable mental intangibles taken early. Vince and JaMarcus come to mind. And while I agree on Lefors and Gradkowski, I wouldn't really throw Smith into that group. We never had much of an opportunity to see what he had to offer. Honestly, the one game I saw him play against the Patriots was pretty impressive in my eyes; he showed potential.
                              PICTURE ME ROLLIN'
                              GO COLTS! NAPTOWN

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information