ProFootball Talk- Curry, Lions Have Deal in Place

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ProFootball Talk- Curry, Lions Have Deal in Place

I guess are they not only close to a deal with Stafford, but appearently they also have a deal done with Curry should he be the pick.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...deal-in-place/

Yeah I saw that, too. Weird.
    *prays it's a smokescreen*

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
    don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

No suitable nodes are available to serve your request.

Comment

I know this is like the third thread about what the Lions are gonna do...but I still think drafting curry is stupid.

Sig by the sigmaster BoneKrusher. Each one is a masterpiece
        Originally posted by BaLLiN72
        i wish NFLDC had something like "wall to wall" where we could see Brodeur and Job's conversations.
        Originally posted by Job
        NFLDC would be jizzing itself non-stop.

Comment

Originally posted by the decider13 View Post
          I know this is like the third thread about what the Lions are gonna do...
          Yeah, may be a bit much.

but I still think drafting curry is stupid.
          You're not alone.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
          don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

IMO, this could be a genius move by the Lions. I could see Stafford falling to the 10 range if not the no. 1 overall pick. If so, I could then see the Lions packaging 20 and 33 to move up and get Stafford. Talk about a hell of a draft then. The only problem with that is that Stafford would still want no. 1 money, most likely.

I just get the feeling that most teams like Sanchez better than Stafford. However, maybe that's because most teams figure Stafford would be the no. 1 pick in the first place, so they just focus their attention on Sanchez.

This will be interesting. Hopefully they make the final decision tomorrow, as I'm not confident putting Stafford as my no. 1 pick in mocks yet.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey Joe View Post
              I just get the feeling that most teams like Sanchez better than Stafford. However, maybe that's because most teams figure Stafford would be the no. 1 pick in the first place, so they just focus their attention on Sanchez.

This will be interesting. Hopefully they make the final decision tomorrow, as I'm not confident putting Stafford as my no. 1 pick in mocks yet.
              I agree that the reason most teams seem so high on Sanchez is that none of them think that Stafford will be available. I can't imagine a team passing on Stafford for Sanchez given the chance. But I have a feeling that no matter where he gets drafted, he is gonna want Matt Ryan money.

Sig by the sigmaster BoneKrusher. Each one is a masterpiece
              Originally posted by BaLLiN72
              i wish NFLDC had something like "wall to wall" where we could see Brodeur and Job's conversations.
              Originally posted by Job
              NFLDC would be jizzing itself non-stop.

Comment

I see this as a (probably fake)bargaining chip to try and get Stafford to lower his price.
                Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
                RIP themaninblack

Comment

I don't think that this is really a bad idea by the Lions. You get a deal in place for your second choice to put pressure on your first choice to compromise on a deal. If Stafford is unwilling to take what the Lions are offering him, then he won't get to be the number one overall pick, and won't get paid significantly more than what Curry is going to get (even with the extra money QBs get, you they won't get paid ridiculous amounts of money more than the #1 overall pick.)

At the same time though, the Lions may well be bluffing and if Stafford calls their bluff, it may backfire on the Lions and they have to either pay Stafford more than they were willing to, or be stuck with Curry.

Still, it's an aggressive bargaining technique, and I don't really blame the Lions for using it. Whatever Stafford ends up getting paid by whoever drafts him, it's probably too much (though you can say this for virtually every top 10 pick.)

Comment

I know this is like the third thread about what the Lions are gonna do...but I still think drafting curry is stupid.
                    Bingo.

I mean, as a Bears fan, I wouldn't mind seeing them pass on the potential franchise QB.

But c'mon, how stupid can the Lions really be?

Comment

I think the Lions are doing a few things here:

1. Trying to get Stafford to agree to less money (obvious)

2. Trying to get someone to trade up for Curry, knowing he's agreed to a reasonable contract and the Lions are serious about possibly taking him

3. Setting up a genuine fall back position. Maybe they like Stafford but think that he really does have some drawbacks and if he won't agree to less, Curry is their guy.

Comment

Working...
                      X

Debug Information