Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draft Could Be Moving

Draft Could Be Moving To Three Days, Prime Time

The NFL has toyed in the past with the idea of moving the first round of the draft into prime time.

The problem has been the duration of round one. With a process that at times has stretched beyond five or six hours, the picks would begin too early in the west or finish too late in the east. Or both.

But with round one of the 2009 draft coming in at roughly the length of an NFL game, the window is wide open for a cannonball into the prime time pool.

According to the Dallas Morning News (via Chris Littmann of SportingNews.com), the change could come as soon as 2010.

Why is the NFL so ass backwards when it comes to the draft?

Comment

NO! God damn it, they're ruining the draft for me. It should start at noon at the latest, and day one should consist of rounds 1-3, which would rap up at around 8.

Comment

I would like the ideal of having the 1st round on friday as sunday's coverage is pretty long espically for the casual fan.

Comment

I hate the idea my self.

Comment

I say fiddlesticks.

No real reason, I just wanted to say it.

Comment

I would hate that. It is DRAFT DAY damn it.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
              "I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."

Comment

PFT said that they think the first round would be broadcast on Thursday night, not Friday, since ratings are generally higher. Friday would then have rounds two and three, and Saturday would have the final four rounds.

The thought is that now that the draft is down to about 3 and a half hours, they can fit it into all time zones at night, I guess be it on Thursday or Friday.

My major question is, if round one is on Thursday and rounds two and three are on Friday, what time does everything start Friday? Those are two very important rounds obviously, and if they're going to be during the day where people would miss them due to work/classes that would probably piss a lot of people off. Unless they can come up with a good time, it might make more sense to go Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Really though, I liked the original format so much better.

Comment

You know, I wouldn't mind making an entire weekend out of it......

Start round 1 precisely at 8pm eastern on friday, have it run to no later than midnight hopefully, then do rounds 2-3 Saturday, 4-7 sunday....

Or something close to that. Then maybe when I'm trying like hell to see who my team picked in the later rounds, they won't still be talking about picks from 2 days before.......I'd hope anyway.....ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by derza222 View Post
                    PFT said that they think the first round would be broadcast on Thursday night, not Friday, since ratings are generally higher. Friday would then have rounds two and three, and Saturday would have the final four rounds.

The thought is that now that the draft is down to about 3 and a half hours, they can fit it into all time zones at night, I guess be it on Thursday or Friday.

My major question is, if round one is on Thursday and rounds two and three are on Friday, what time does everything start Friday? Those are two very important rounds obviously, and if they're going to be during the day where people would miss them due to work/classes that would probably piss a lot of people off. Unless they can come up with a good time, it might make more sense to go Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Really though, I liked the original format so much better.
                    I'd think they'd also be during primetime. You can probably start it at the same time both of those nights since I think you could do 2-3 in the same time as all of round 1.

Comment

What would teams do with all that free time on their hands? In between the rounds that is.

Why not all make UDFA available on Sunday at 12:00 PM EST?

That way, Thursday round 1 casual fan, Friday 2-3 interested in draft fan, Saturday 4-7 and Sunday UDFA for hardcore draft fans.

On Thursday they probably would start at 6:00.
                      Friday 5:00.
                      Saturday 10:00

Comment

The draft should start Saturday at Noon eastern with rounds 1-3 and then conclude Sunday starting at 11 AM eastern.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
                          The draft should start Saturday at Noon eastern with rounds 1-3 and then conclude Sunday starting at 11 AM eastern.
                          Agreed! The original format!

This is just getting out of hand!

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. Jaylon Smith 2. Artie Burns 3. Landon Turner

Comment

Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
                            Agreed.

Originally posted by bhaarat316 View Post
                            What would teams do with all that free time on their hands? In between the rounds that is.

Why not all make UDFA available on Sunday at 12:00 PM EST?

That way, Thursday round 1 casual fan, Friday 2-3 interested in draft fan, Saturday 4-7 and Sunday UDFA for hardcore draft fans.

On Thursday they probably would start at 6:00.
                            Friday 5:00.
                            Saturday 10:00
                            I think they may be starting it just a little later Thursday and Friday to accommodate fans out West. And they'll probably make UDFA's available right after the draft, there are already tampering issues as is. Otherwise though, that's what I'd guess they'll do if they do change it.

Comment

Originally posted by Splat420 View Post
                              I hate the idea my self.
                              Seriously. Why is Goddell so dedicated to change **** in the NFL.
                              Does he want his names in the history books? Leave his mark?
                              Changing the length of the season- changing the draft set up.
                              What next?
                              -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information