Post-draft reveals?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-draft reveals?

Anyone have any post-draft information of what their teams thought and may have done differently?

According to credible 49ers beat reporter Matt Maiocco, the 49ers would not have selected Orakpo, Raji, or Maybin at 10. Their top targets at 10 were Crabtree and Oher

--If Crabtree and Oher were gone, I have no idea what the 49ers would've done with the first-round pick. They would not have taken B.J. Raji, Aaron Maybin or Brian Orakpo. It's a good thing the draft fell the way it did. Might they have taken Rey Maualuga at No. 10? I really don't know.
    He also reveals that the top players the 49ers were targeting at the 43rd pick were Darius Butler and Rey Maualuga. When both were picked ahead of their selection, they traded out of the pick.

When Maualuga and cornerback Darius Butler weren't there, the 49ers traded out of the second and fourth rounds
    http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/...ers-draft.html

Anyone else have any post-draft reveals?

I think on NFLN they said that the reason the Bucs traded to 17 wasnt because of the Broncos, but because the Vikings wanted to get up as well to take Freeman...

I also read somewhere that the two main considerations for the Bucs were Josh Freeman and Vontae Davis.
    save Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by Me Likey Rookies View Post
      I think on NFLN they said that the reason the Bucs traded to 17 wasnt because of the Broncos, but because the Vikings wanted to get up as well to take Freeman...

I also read somewhere that the two main considerations for the Bucs were Josh Freeman and Vontae Davis.
      Yeah, I figured that was the reason. I didn't think of the Vikings, but I figured they were afraid that someone was gonna trade up and take Freeman.

Comment

I've heard from various sources in the Wisconsin media that the reason Green Bay gave up so much to get Clay Matthews is that they had a top 15 grade on him, and would have considered picking him with their first overall pick if the board fell in such a way that it made sense for them to trade down 2-3 spots. Apparently the Packers had been calling everybody from the late teens down to see what they wanted for that pick, and New England was the first team to extend an offer Green Bay was willing to take (apparently everybody else was asking for future picks, which Thompson is hesitant to give up.)

There was also no way that Green Bay was going to select anybody with the 83rd pick. That pick was going to be traded, whether the Packers moved up or down, in order to avoid having a single player be lumped in the "traded for Brett Favre" column.
        Last edited by PossibleCabbage; 04-29-2009, 04:58 AM.

Comment

One of the beat writers for the Giants said they had a deal in place to move up to 20 to take Maclin but the Eagles beat them to him.

Comment

if jenkins would have been gone (and curry obviously) cushing would have been the saints choice ahead of wells.

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
            - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
            - Corner or Wideout in the first
            - No reaching
            - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

It was common knowledge & confirmed in the Dallas draft discussion thread that after the Cowboys traded back to all 2nd day picks they had Jarron Gilbert targeted for their 1st selection. So did Chicago & they took him one pick ahead of Dallas.

In defending their puzzling, way overdrafted pick of DHB, Raiders coach Tom Cable told the Bay Area press Sunday "We do things here our way..... it's just the Raiders way." Which translates as Al Davis' obtuse, screwy, self-serving, anachronistic b/c I think I'm still coaching in the early 60s, old AFL, Vertical Game I still cherish way.

ESPN reported that Carolina's GM Marty Hurney who traded next yr's #1 to the 9ers was the same GM who traded their 2009 #1 last yr. Hurney learned as a disciple of former Chargers GM Bobby Beathard, who started his NFL mgmt. career with the Redskins, with their long-established tradition of the Future Is Now when Beathard traded away multiple future picks for veterans throughout the 70s. Hurney continues the tradition, maybe the apple didn't fall too far from the tree in his case, IMO it's still just as foolish today in the cap era as it was with the Skins 35 yrs ago, it's still mortgaging the future, classic team talent pool short term gain & long term pain.
              Last edited by LizardState; 04-29-2009, 11:04 AM.

Comment

delete post
                Last edited by LizardState; 04-29-2009, 10:32 AM. Reason: delete dbl post

Comment

Originally posted by wicket View Post
                  if jenkins would have been gone (and curry obviously) cushing would have been the saints choice ahead of wells.
                  I need some proof on that one. Because we were trying to FIERCELY trade up to get Beanie Well TWO MINUTES after we selected Jenkins. I strongly feel that if Jenkins wasn't there then Beanie Wells would have been the pick or a trade down.
                  The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

Originally posted by LizardState View Post
                    It was common knowledge & confirmed in the Dallas draft discussion thread that after the Cowboys traded back to all 2nd day picks they had Jarron Gilbert targeted for their 1st selection. So did Chicago & they took him one pick ahead of Dallas.
                    Actually Max Unger was the target, Gilbert was in consideration once we moved back, but Unger going to Seattle and Loadholt going to Minny was the reason we moved back in the first place, those two were higher on our board.

I also just read that the Giants were targeting Maclin at #20 and had a deal with Detroit lined up:

The Giants reportedly had a deal worked out with the Lions that would have allowed them to move up to the 20th pick to select WR Jeremy Maclin.
                    The details of the potential trade aren't known, but it likely involved the No. 29 pick and an addition early-round selection. The deal was contingent on Maclin being available at No. 20, and was foiled when the Eagles traded up one slot ahead to grab him.
                    Source: Trenton Times

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

I saw an interesting video on NFL.com that said the Bears were going to draft safety Michael Mitchell with the 49th pick in the second round if the Raiders hadn’t taken him at No. 47. This was a pick that was highly criticized by all the experts as Mitchell was projected to be a late-round selection. Is there any validity to that assertion?

Ankur G.
                      Schaumburg, Illinois

Ohio safety Michael Mitchell was on the Bears’ “hot list” as one of nearly 125 players they were going to consider selecting in the draft. But I can tell you with 100 percent accuracy that there’s no way they would have chosen him as early as the second round.
                      #

Also they traded back because Robiskie was gone, they didnt like Massaquois Dropsies apparently

Comment

The Steelers were trying to trade up for Max Unger in the 2nd round. Once they couldn't find a party, they opted to trade out of the second altogether.

Comment

Al Davis wanted to trade up to the 1st pick to pick Darrius Heyward-Bey so that when he actually turns into a stud, which he won't, people would stop calling him old and senile.

Comment

Originally posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
                            Anyone have any post-draft information of what their teams thought and may have done differently?

According to credible 49ers beat reporter Matt Maiocco, the 49ers would not have selected Orakpo, Raji, or Maybin at 10. Their top targets at 10 were Crabtree and Oher

He also reveals that the top players the 49ers were targeting at the 43rd pick were Darius Butler and Rey Maualuga. When both were picked ahead of their selection, they traded out of the pick.

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/...ers-draft.html

Anyone else have any post-draft reveals?

Really a quick side note, but one thing that was a strong point in the final days was that it seemed like a lot of teams weren't as high on Raji as previously thought. I liked him, and I think with 330 pound guys, if you don't have a good rotation for them, you'll likely see the spurts of inconsistency that people got worried over.

Comment

The Giants wanted DHB, and failing that Maclin.

Other picks at #29 would have been Sintim or Maualuga.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information