Why Sam Bradford Sucks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
    Cherilus played 1 year at LT. 3 years at RT, where he demolished people.

Beekman was another great OG, and is doing well in the pro's.

They had a 6'7/6'8 LT for 2 years before Gosder and he was actually pretty solid, he wasn't athletic enough for LT in the pro's but he did much better than Gosder, I just can't think of his name.

Ah, James Marten. Excellent player in college.

Snee, Trueblood, Marten, Beekman, Cherilus...

Guys there from 2004-2008.

Not to mention BC has a long standing tradition of building great Offensive lines, even if they're not flashy or high draft picks, they always have a great OL In college.
    Everything you said is semi-correct until that last clause. Ryan's line was far from good. They massacred by a Virginia Tech front that was merely good.

Beekman is... well, I wouldn't describe it as doing well. He's got some minute semblance of playing well, but he's hardly setting the world on fire. Strictly average at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Race for the Heisman View Post
      Everything you said is semi-correct until that last clause. Ryan's line was far from good. They massacred by a Virginia Tech front that was merely good.

Beekman is... well, I wouldn't describe it as doing well. He's got some minute semblance of playing well, but he's hardly setting the world on fire. Strictly average at this point.
      Dude is solid in the run game and gave up a mere 1.5 sacks last year listing him near the top of the OG's. Beekman is no Steve Hutchinson, but the guy plays a good game.

Virginia tech had a great defense the last few years.

Brandon Flowers, Macho Harris, Kam Chancellor, Xavier Adibi, Orion Martin, Aaron Rouse, Carlton Powell, Jimmy Williams, Darryl Tapp, Cam Martin, Cody Grimm and a few others i'm forgetting.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
        Dude is solid in the run game and gave up a mere 1.5 sacks last year listing him near the top of the OG's. Beekman is no Steve Hutchinson, but the guy plays a good game.

Virginia tech had a great defense the last few years.

Brandon Flowers, Macho Harris, Kam Chancellor, Xavier Adibi, Orion Martin, Aaron Rouse, Carlton Powell, Jimmy Williams, Darryl Tapp, Cam Martin, Cody Grimm and a few others i'm forgetting.
        No one really gave Ryan any NFL looks as a junior since he played with a broken foot and had a very average season. His senior year was the year everyone was using the tape to break down his game (seeing as he was the most improved and a prospects last season in college is the most important for game film analysis by scouts). No one cares about about the three NFL linemen they had during his stay at BC. The only thing anyone cares about is the crap line he had his senior year with his crap WRs and his crap RBs, where, to go back to the original statement, Ryan saw a ton of pressure. The only thing he had was a great NFL styled scheme. You want to see a college spread offense that translates exceptionally well, watch Matt Ryan as a senior and that BC scheme.

He was constantly buying time and avoiding pressure. His O-Line and Gosder Cherilus were hardly average... during a good game. Cherilus played so bad against the better teams in the country, it's hard to imagine the Lions took him in the first round basing all his ability on two year old game tape at RT.

People forget. Ryan had next to nothing his last year. It wasn't that long ago. Everyone was saying he was surrounded by zero NFL talent, and the one NFL talent he had was playing very badly because he was out of position. He had pressure. He had the offense on his back. He made plays and he gambled. He threw picks. Forced passes. Did everything he could do to give his team a chance. Some people thought it was all excuses for poor play. It looks like Ryan isn't going to throw 20 INTs a year. Maybe surrounding talent does make a player look below their capabilities if that talent is poor... or vice versa, which might be the case with Sam Bradford. Incredible talent and offensive scheme taking all the pressure off him and making him look better than he really is? Hmm. I think I just found something.

Nevermind. I mentioned that in the original post.

By Snee, I hope you weren't talking about Chris Snee... He was not a college teammate of Ryan. Maybe he had a crappy brother I don't about that also played there?
        Originally posted by Scott Wright
        I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
        Originally posted by PossibleCabbage
        I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
        Originally posted by bearsfan_51
        iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
        Originally posted by GatorsBullsFan
        I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
        Originally posted by GoRavens
        Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigBanger View Post
          He was playing LT... and he sucked.

Beekman wasn't there for his senior year, which is the year that got him drafted as high as he went (3rd overall), so his blocking in Chicago was not felt during Ryans best year.

Anymore brain busters?

There is no point debating how crappy the players were around Ryan. They were bad. He had one NFL player beside him on that offense (senior year) and he had the worst year of his college career because he (Cherlius) was playing out position. So... let's just leave that one alone.
          The team made it to the ACC Championship and was one quarter away from a BCS game. Regardless of how good Ryan was, he didn't do it all by myself and it certainly wasn't due to the skill players around him either. The men upfront, even if they aren't the most highly touted, gave him enough time to make plays and put the team in a position to be successful.

I will admit that Gosder wasn't the world's greatest LT but playing the ACC helped ease any lackings that Cherilus brought to the table. He did a capable job and helped keep Matt Ryan on his feet.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

• If big XII defenses are so terrible why did UF score 24 points only? In case you don't know, that's lower than they scored against EVERY SEC defense. So I don't want to hear the the conference knock on Bradford.

Comment

• Originally posted by dabul-master View Post
              If big XII defenses are so terrible why did UF score 24 points only? In case you don't know, that's lower than they scored against EVERY SEC defense. So I don't want to hear the the conference knock on Bradford.
              Maybe because it was Oklahoma? Just because one team loaded with prospects can play defense doesn't mean the same holds true for the majority of the conference.

Comment

I really do question his leadership skills at the next level. I love his passion for the game and he can lead a team by example. He's a great leader at the college level, but I don't how NFL players are going to react to this kid and his praise Jesus Christ mentality and his squeaky-clean, virginal image. I don't know what kind of vocal presence he will have in a locker room of men. He makes me roll my eyes whenever he talks, but he pumps me up when he's on the field. I'm a huge fan of his, but I can't take him seriously when he talks and he does come off as a bit of joke.
                Have you ever seen a Matt Ryan interview? He's as awkward and as squeaky clean as they come. I don't think anybody is questioning his leadership ability. I'm sure both Tim Tebow and Matt Ryan do just fine at relating with their teammates.

Comment

• Originally posted by TACKLE View Post
                  Have you ever seen a Matt Ryan interview? He's as awkward and as squeaky clean as they come. I don't think anybody is questioning his leadership ability. I'm sure both Tim Tebow and Matt Ryan do just fine at relating with their teammates.
                  Just speculation, but I would guess Ryan leads somewhat like Peyton Manning. It isn't by virtue of any extraordinary natural charisma so much as it is being an intelligent quarterback and knowing the game well enough that his teammates have trust in him to make what needs to happen manifest on the field. Of course I'm not saying neither Ryan nor Manning isn't a leader in other ways as well, but that's how I see them (moreso Peyton at this point) just based on the way I have seen them interact with their teammates.

The point is, I don't think Tebow can lead like that (by virtue of comprehensive understanding). I remember an article on Colt Brennan trying to pick his (Tebow's) brain at the Heisman presentation pre-Sugar Bowl (where Hawaii got massacred) and Brennan was asking about coverages and Tebow was apparently telling him about the reads he made of Georgia's defensive line. Not saying Tebow hasn't advanced since then, or that he can't lead by passion (because I sure as hell don't doubt him from that perspective), but it is something to take note of with Tebow at least.

Regarding Bradford, I don't like that he gets the call from the sidelines nearly all of the time, but I do like the fact that he seems to know what his reads should be each time regardless of what the switch is.
                  Last edited by Race for the Heisman; 05-30-2009, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Get Jimmy Clausen' name outta there. Garbage. Freaking ND sucks with a terrible QB and people still talk about their QB like he's ever done something or shown he might be able to do something. Let him have a couple of good games in college before we start talking about him as a pro prospect. Minga.
                    oh please

if mike teel could manage to get drafted im pretty sure jimmy clausen can too.

Go Celtics
                    Go Irish
                    Go Ravens

Comment

• Originally posted by lordquas View Post
                      oh please

if mike teel could manage to get drafted im pretty sure jimmy clausen can too.
                      Teel never lost to Syracuse.

Comment

• This is what I think about Clausen:

He's been coached to be a mechanically perfect quarterback by professionals since he was nine or so, and it shows in his play. He's got a great arm, plenty of experience, very good pocket presence, and he's shown toughness going through his freshman year at Notre Dame with their pathetic excuse of an offensive line that year.

Now, he does throw more than his fair share of interceptions, but if he makes the same improvement between his sophomore and junior years that he did between his freshman and sophomore years, he will be well on his way to becoming a first day or better prospect. Obviously some of his competition is questionable, but if he gives you great mechanics, experience, arm strength, accuracy, and toughness, that covers a lot of what makes a good quarterback besides decision-making. If his experiences next year help him improve on that, why not?

Comment

• Myth: Big 12 defenses are terrible.

Fact: Big 12 offenses are incredible.

When you've got college crazy talent from top to bottom (just think of the QBs- McCoy, Daniel, Bradford, Reesing, Robinson, Griffith) and the wide-open spread-60 throws a game systems, naturally more points will be scored.

It's really not that complicated. The defensive talent in the Big 12 is comparable to just about every other conference. The difference is, in the ACC the defenses have to defend Xavier Lee and Tyrod Taylor while the Big 12 defenses must stop prolific offensive attacks each week.

Big 12 defenses are not awful. Big 12 offenses are just really, really good.
                          "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

• Originally posted by gpngc View Post
                            Big 12 defenses are not awful. Big 12 offenses are just really, really good.
                            Points per game in the regular season compared to bowl games.

Oklahoma- 51.1 to 14
                            Texas Tech- 43.8 to 34
                            Texas- 42.4 to 24
                            Missouri- 42.2 to 30
                            Oklahoma State- 40.8 to 31
                            Nebraska- 35.4 to 26
                            Kansas- 33.4 to 42

Care to explain the massive drop in points against other conferences (other than Kansas)?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sniper View Post
                              Points per game in the regular season compared to bowl games.

Oklahoma- 51.1 to 14
                              Texas Tech- 43.8 to 34
                              Texas- 42.4 to 24
                              Missouri- 42.2 to 30
                              Oklahoma State- 40.8 to 31
                              Nebraska- 35.4 to 26
                              Kansas- 33.4 to 42

Care to explain the massive drop in points against other conferences (other than Kansas)?
                              Those are all 30+ in bowl games. It's not a massive drop, it's the product of postseason football.

My logic is simple: Big 12 offenses are VERY good and the Big 12 defenses look worse than they are because of this. And because statistically the offenses are so prolific, the defenses look bad on paper to those who don't actually watch but just look at scores. Tell Orakpo, Hood, McBath, Moore, the Griffins, and countless more that Big 12 defenses are awful. Oklahoma putting up 14 against an amazing Florida team in the title game doesn't disprove that OU had a great offense.
                              "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

• Originally posted by gpngc View Post
                                Those are all 30+ in bowl games. It's not a massive drop, it's the product of postseason football.
                                Except it's not, as the two best teams in the league scored 14 and 24 points when matched up against elite defenses. (Florida 9th total D, Ohio State 14th, Florida 4th scoring D, Ohio State 6th)

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information