Dunlap to Return?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dunlap to Return?

I'm not sure what the rules are on this speculative kind of thread, but I thought this was interesting:

But Carlos Sr. said Dunlap is only thinking about one thing right now – finishing his degree. Dunlap is on track to graduate next December.

“We came to the University of Florida for a four-year education,” Dunlap Sr. said. “He has another year in school to go. Everybody’s talking about the draft. We’re not talking about the draft. It’s never even been a thought. We as a family never even sat down and talked about leaving school.”
    Link

He probably should, barring injury he might be able to elevate his stock again. Right now it's pretty much in freefall if you ask me.

Comment

I actually posted that article/link yesterday in the Carlos Dunlap thread, though I'm not sure anyone looked at it or took it seriously. Very interesting stuff, and we'll see how much he takes his family's opinion and education seriously. UF's a great school, and Dunlap's family doesn't seem to be in any kind of financial peril. Who knows at this point...
      Last edited by ThePudge; 12-05-2009, 01:37 PM.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
      - For daily NFL draft coverage:
      www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

After this past week I think it'd be a great decision for him to go back to school.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

It's fine since you have the link. It would be interesting if he returns.

Follow Me on Twitter!
          https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

I think simply making that decision could gain him a little more respect from draft analysts, especially with regards to showing that he's trying to get his head on straight.

He's talented as ****, and maybe with this last year he can finally put things together, but it's all speculation. That is pretty much the only evidence that Dunlap isn't leaving for the draft.

Comment

As mentioned before, plenty of guys say this, but then get their draft grades back and have some people in their ear. LeSean McCoy comes to mind last year.

Follow Me on Twitter!
              https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

The problem is right now he is just a college kid that just made one stupid mistake that a lot of college kids make; it probably won't affect his draft position that much, but make one more stupid mistake and all of a sudden you get a bad character label put on you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
                  The problem is right now he is just a college kid that just made one stupid mistake that a lot of college kids make; it probably won't affect his draft position that much, but make one more stupid mistake and all of a sudden you get a bad character label put on you.
                  Psshhh, I made that stupid mistake in high school. I still consider myself a solid character guy. I think Andre Smith's dealing with an agent is worse than this, as sometimes when you get drunk, you just end up in a driver's seat. It's not right, it's not good, but when people are drunk it sometimes happen. I know the guy had a lot on the line, but let's not pretend he had full decision-making capacity. For some guys, one time caught by the cops and you'll just have a mental block against it.

I really don't think a DUI is any measure of character, at all. My college roommate last year had two, my roommate this year has one, and I don't think my aunt can drive legally in Florida or New Jersey. Dunlap seems like a fine guy.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePudge View Post
                    Psshhh, I made that stupid mistake in high school. I still consider myself a solid character guy. I think Andre Smith's dealing with an agent is worse than this, as sometimes when you get drunk, you just end up in a driver's seat. It's not right, it's not good, but when people are drunk it sometimes happen. I know the guy had a lot on the line, but let's not pretend he had full decision-making capacity. For some guys, one time caught by the cops and you'll just have a mental block against it.

I really don't think a DUI is any measure of character, at all. My college roommate last year had two, my roommate this year has one, and I don't think my aunt can drive legally in Florida or New Jersey. Dunlap seems like a fine guy.
                    Going to agree with you there, problem is there have been questions surrounding his game. If he didnt test all that well as far as strength and agility goes then you probably would have people adding on the DUI. If he blew the doors off the combine then i think those same people would give him a pass on the DUI.

Comment

You think someone dealing with an agent under the table is worse than someone driving piss drunk?
                      Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
                      RIP themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon View Post
                        He probably should, barring injury he might be able to elevate his stock again. Right now it's pretty much in freefall if you ask me.
                        The guy is a beast, there's no way his stock would free fall unless something drastic happened again before the draft at some point.

All he has to do is drop a few cliches and say he's learned from this experience and he's a Raiders or better pick IMO.

Anyway,

I still don't get the coming back thing (and I posted this in another thread) but if you have a top 20 lottery ticket (his is even better) go and cash it now. Another year of education way way overrated when you have the means to go be rich right now.

You can go back to school whenever you want anyway.

Comment

His DUI isn't my main problem with Dunlap, his inconsistent play on the field however is, for a 6'6, 290 # DE who should be beasting the SEC.

Why sign a guy like Dunlap to a $20 mil signing bonus when his play has already flatlined at UF??
                          I'm not saying he isn't still a 1st round prospect based strictly on potential, just that he's not even close to being a top 10 draft pick.

Another year, barring injury, should do wonders for Dunlap's pro prospects.

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
                            You think someone dealing with an agent under the table is worse than someone driving piss drunk?
                            Exactly. I think it should raise an eyebrow.
                            How is dealing with an agent worse then getting wasted and then getting behind the wheel and potentially killing yourself or worst- someone else.
                            If you're going to drink- you know you're not going to be able to drive-
                            and if you do that without a plan on how to get home then you're a moron.
                            -Boston Red Sox-New England Patriots-Boston Celtics-

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
                              No, but I think it's more telling about a football player's character. Andre Smith's agent business was him doing something he knew was wrong, he knew it could get him in trouble, he had full capacity, he got caught looking forward to the money, and it was all on the eve on the biggest game of his career.

Carlos Dunlap got drunk and wound up driving a car, a very bad decision, but not one he likely made before he had his first drink. Maybe he did, but I'm not so sure. He didn't think it through, and he made a mistake. Andre Smith's mistake was more damaging to his team, and not just because Smith was the nation's best lineman.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information