Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Do People Think Colt McCoy Is An NFL QB?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better or worse than Vince Young?

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
      Better or worse than Vince Young?
      Worse. Vince Young has too many athletic advantages over Colt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post
        His decision making ability is top notch.
        You could say that about practically any good spread QB... Tebow, Alex Smith, Graham Harrell, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
          That right there is how i know you know diddly squat about Texas football. The reason Gilbert put up points on Alabama's defense was because THE DEFENSE ISN'T ALL THAT GREAT. Alabama got absolutely NO pressure on an offensive line that let up 8 sacks to Nebraska, and had been shifted around all season long. There are no NFL starters on the offensive line that played yesterday. We trotted out a RS freshman running back. A true freshman WR. A guy that couldn't catch a cold at a clinic. Absolutely no TE to speak of. Why don't you point out to me where exactly all this talent is?
          sums it up perfectly for me. What did Texas do in the second half? Gilbert just stared down Shipley and threw it to him every time, yet it was successful. Wouldn't you think such a great, overpowing defense like Alabama coulda figured that out and found a way to stop it? Greg Davis tried that stupid conservative play-calling draws, screens, etc for 2 quarters trying to find a way to move the ball without having his QB turn it over and when he still managed to do that he FINALLY just said screw it and opened it up and the result was that supposedly amazing Alabama D couldn't cover 1 WR. Really, really unimpressed by Alabama's D.

On to McCoy as a prospect. I really like him as a prospect if he can get in the right system. If he gets in the right system and can sit for a year or two to develop in the pro-style game I don't see why he can't be a nice QB. His arm strength is good enough and his accuracy is a huge plus. It comes down mainly to the system (a WCO would be great for him) and his desire, which has been questioned by some but i don't at all. I've always seen him as a determined worker and I guy that tries as hard as he can to get the job done. I'm not saying he's gonna be an MVP QB but i could easily see him as a top 10 QB for a period of time in the right system with the proper time to develop. Those are obviously huge "ifs" but nearly all prospects have plenty of "ifs" when it comes to how they pan out in the NFL. I think Jeff Garcia is a great comparison, but when I'm saying that, please realize I'm not talking 40 year old Garcia as a comparison, but Garcia 5-10 years ago.

Finally, all the BS said on here by some on how he's a quitter and sh*t is just dumb. He couldn't feel his arm and couldn't throw the ball 10 yards to his f*cking dad in the locker room with any accuracy, how is he gonna go play and be effective? Yeah, he can clap and **** on the sideline with a half-numb arm so people think that and he was staying out for his own personal reasons which is BS. There are some things you can do with partial feeling in your arm, clapping is easy, gripping a football and throwing it accurately is not. He couldn't have played effectively with that injury, he wasn't a quitter.
          JORDYZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Comment

• haha d-unit stop being a gaf, stop acting like the 39 year old who still lives with their mom, and shut the hell up..oh..what are you gonna do..kick me off..like i really care, grow up dude, it's really sad to see you baggin on him when i'm sure you've done nothing with your life but post 39,000 times on a website forum

Comment

• http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews....----again.html

Final documentation of his injury. His arm was dead.

Follow Me on Twitter!
              https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

• Originally posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post
                http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews....----again.html

Final documentation of his injury. His arm was dead.
                It came back to life!
                Is that a rash?

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece

Comment

• Is it me, or does McCoy remind anyone of Jeff Garcia, put him in the right offense and I think he could be pretty good, late 2nd/early 3rd is where I would take him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                    What round do you think he deserves to get picked in? Because if he sits for 3 to 4 years, he'll need another contract before he sees any playing time.
                    Does he deserve? I honestly think he is a first round talent. No matter what though, i think he needs to sit a year or two and learn learn learn. Second or third round seems most likely, but you really never know. It all depends how he performs at the Combine or his Pro Day. Last year at a QB Camp he was competing with Bradford throw for throw, and scouts were extremely impressed with both of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
                      Does he deserve? I honestly think he is a first round talent. No matter what though, i think he needs to sit a year or two and learn learn learn. Second or third round seems most likely, but you really never know. It all depends how he performs at the Combine or his Pro Day. Last year at a QB Camp he was competing with Bradford throw for throw, and scouts were extremely impressed with both of them.
                      Considering he completed around 75% of his passes last year, a figure that is bound to appeal to scouts, he is likely headed for round 1. He is a 4 year starter at Texas, some 40 odd games, so he isn't likely to sit more than half a season and should be starting by game 8 next season in the NFL.
                      Last edited by Iamcanadian; 01-13-2010, 06:35 AM.
                      And proud of it!!!

Comment

• He is a football genius

Comment

• Not a big McCoy fan. He's a guy that has a below average arm for NFL starting qb standards, has poor bulk, and really doesn't have much of a shot because of the lack of physical skillset. At the very best he's Jeff Garcia and that would be 4 years down the road after strength and conditioning and he's have to be flawless in his reads and accuracy because of the condensed field he'll be playing against because of his lack of ability to threaten all levels of the field. I actually think it'd be best for him to take the Garcia route and play in Canada because I think if he starts in his 1st 2 years he may be ruined for good because he doesn't seem to have that confidence to handle failure and become better from it. I wouldn't touch him until the 5th and that would be only if I was in the WCO. Otherwise he's not even draftable to me. Graham Harrell with mobility is all I see.

Comment

• Originally posted by JaxJag_1 View Post
                            He's pretty small
                            No, he's pretty short. He's probably 6'1 1/2 or so. He's got a decent frame, certainly better than Sam Bradford (if you don't count height). Bradford is like 6'4 165lbs

Comment

• Originally posted by prock View Post
                              this is meaningless. if you had asked that question when kurt warner was a bag boy or brett favre was a second rounder or drew brees was a rookie or when romo was a like a 3rd rounder or when brady was a 6th rounder, you would say the same thing. kurt warner would have been the odd ball in like 97 or 98. romo wouldve been the odd ball in like 03 or 04. the point you are trying to make is irrelevent and makes no sense.
                              You were missing my point. Traditional franchise QBs who carry their teams through thick and thin are almost all of the same mold. 6'3-6'5, strong armed, tall-standing pocket passers. Colt McCoy is none of these things. The fact that Warner and Romo and Brady made it actually helps my case here; those guys fit the mold but didn't have the stats in college to be drafted high enough or at all. Once surrounded by a good system and good receivers and a good line, they thrived.

I'm not saying Colt will NEVER be a great QB, but the chances are VERY VERY slim. Brees is the exception to the rule, and he's got a stronger arm than McCoy and is also considered to have one of the highest football IQs in of any QB ever.

Hang on to him as long as you want, but anyone who drafts McCoy in the early couple rounds is insane.
                              Last edited by baronzeus; 01-13-2010, 05:17 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by baronzeus View Post
                                You were missing my point. Traditional franchise QBs who carry their teams through thick and thin are almost all of the same mold. 6'3-6'5, strong armed, tall-standing pocket passers. Colt McCoy is none of these things. The fact that Warner and Romo and Brady made it actually helps my case here; those guys fit the mold but didn't have the stats in college to be drafted high enough or at all. Once surrounded by a good system and good receivers and a good line, they thrived.
                                well actually its not that brady and romo didnt put up stats in college to be drafted high. stats dont get you drafted. its about how well you are projected to do be in the nfl based on your physical abilities, etc. if stats get you drafted, jason white and graham harrell would have been number 1 picks. colt mccoy has potential to be a good quarterback in the nfl based on his movement, his pin point accuracy, his decent arm, and he is a hard worker. put in the right system, like brady was, he could thrive. he is the perfect fit for the west coast offense and he doesnt have the strongest arm so playing somewhere cold weathered isnt the best option, so why couldnt he be a good player for minnesota? just because someone doesnt fit the "traditional mold" doesnt mean they cant be a franchise quarterback, ask vince young, tony romo, etc.

Bonekrusher.

Originally posted by JordanTaber
                                Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information