Taylor Mays Falling?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taylor Mays Falling?

According to SI.com's Tony Pauline, two NFC East teams have moved USC S Taylor Mays to linebacker on their draft board.

It doesn't matter if it's the Cowboys and Redskins, who run 3-4 (Dallas) or are expected to at least install a hybrid 3-4 scheme (Washington). If the Giants and Eagles consider Mays an outside 'backer, however, this could be a sign that the All American's stock is in obvious decline heading to the Combine.

Plus I read a thing I think by Mayock that he was a 2nd rounder.
    Patriots Draft 2015
    1. CB - Marcus Peters
    2. WR - Sammie Coates
    3. RB - David Johnson
    3. DT - Angelo Blackson
    4. OG - Tre Jackson
    4. DE - Za'Darius Smith
    5. LB - Ben Heeney
    6. TE - Wes Saxton
    7. OG - Jose Matais

His stock will shoot back up after the combines, and then Pete Carroll will draft him with his second first rounder.
    Last edited by V.I.P; 02-24-2010, 11:19 PM.

Mike Will & V-Jax

Comment

Originally posted by V-I-P View Post
      His stock will shot back up after the combines, and then Pete Carroll will draft him with his second first rounder.
      Eh...maybe. I really, really don't see him running the 4.3 everyone thinks he will.

Comment

Even if he does, I see no latteral quickness and just straight line speed
        Patriots Draft 2015
        1. CB - Marcus Peters
        2. WR - Sammie Coates
        3. RB - David Johnson
        3. DT - Angelo Blackson
        4. OG - Tre Jackson
        4. DE - Za'Darius Smith
        5. LB - Ben Heeney
        6. TE - Wes Saxton
        7. OG - Jose Matais

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
          Eh...maybe. I really, really don't see him running the 4.3 everyone thinks he will.
          Say what you want about Mays, but I'll be surprised if he doesn't run 4.3. I don't care about the rumors but I've seen him show flashes of making very fast players look slow (Jahvid Best, LaMichael James, Terrell Pryor).

Comment

anything below 4.5 would be insane for the size he is.

However, if he falls out of the first round, I'm starting to think he might be a steal. I think he will be highly coachable and improvements every year. Pro-bowler for most of his career type stuff. Some of the tools are not there yet, but I think they will be.

Also, I think Pete Carrol's assistants can't coach DBs.
            **** her in da *****!

Comment

the thing that people may find about mays is that he is a great run support safety so nfl coaches may move him to strong safety even though he played center field a lot while at SC. Although that would negate his crushing hits on receivers that he made while a junior and not afraid of rehurting himself, he showed to be a very strong tackler and very good at attacking the line of scrimmage, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if he is taken mid- to late- first round by a team looking for a run-support safety

Comment

That's right. Drop right down to #32.
                The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

I remember when anyone came up with this notion here they were laughed at and roasted for it on here as having no clue what their talking about. Funny how things change.

I just hope he's not on the Cowboys at any position, but I'll be interested seeing what he runs the 40 in since people talked about him running a 4.2 on these boards for years now.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                  I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                    I just hope he's not on the Cowboys at any position, but I'll be interested seeing what he runs the 40 in since people talked about him running a 4.2 on these boards for years now.
                    Seriously, I remember when tons of people were saying he was this godly player who was 6'3" 235 and ran in the 4.2s. I don't think he will even be in the 4.3s.

I think the other drills will be much more important to his stock than the 40.

Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

Comment

I see Mays as a OLB in a 4-3.

He is not good at all in deep coverage, and doesn't cover as much ground in the secondary as he should with his speed. He is consistently late getting from the hash to the sidelines in zone, and really doesn't look fluid when matched up in man.

However, you get the guy up to 240+ (which really shouldn't be a stretch) and you have yourself a hell of an athletic OLB, that can cover TE's and can lay the lumber.

Comment

If Vernon Davis can post a sub 4.4 at the combine, I have little doubt that Mays should be able too.

I was one of those advocating that Mays make the switch to OLB also, until I saw him at the Senior Bowl. Basically whichever position Mays ultimately plays is up to him.

As an OLB, the potential he would have to be truly special is off the charts; covering TEs and RBs and blitzing off the edge, I think Mays would be the closest approximation to Lawrence Taylor the NFL has seen since, well, LT.

If Mays gets with a secondary coach who emphasizes the value to him of mixing up big hits with INTs, he could be a monster as a SS/FS for years.

His athletic ability I think is off the charts, so whatever position he plays, I sincerely believe Mays will be a much better pro than collegian.
                        Last edited by FUNBUNCHER; 02-25-2010, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Taylor Mays=Thomas Davis?

Comment

Mays can't shed blockers anywhere near as well as top OLBs, much less LT.
                            Originally posted by SNIPER26
                            fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
                              As an OLB, the potential he would have to be truly special is off the charts; covering TEs and RBs and blitzing off the edge, I think Mays would be the closest approximation to Lawrence Taylor the NFL has seen since, well, LT.
                              That seems a bit much. What makes you believe that he could compare to one of (if not) the greatest pass rushers of all time?

Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information