Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combine Winners and Losers

Sporting News List

Some interesting names on there. Being an OSU homer, I found the comment about Thad Gibson interesting:

Thaddeus Gibson, OLB, Ohio State. Personnel men and coaches wanted to see if the explosiveness and athleticism he showed playing defensive end in college could translate to playing outside linebacker in the NFL. He answered those questions at the Combine, looking explosive, quick, agile and athletic in all drills. More than a few scouts said he looked like he had been playing linebacker his whole life. He will go in the first round to a team using a 3-4 scheme.

Thad Gibson in the first? Ok.

Top Winners
    1. Dorin Dickerson, WR, Pittsburgh
    2. Taylor Mays, S/OLB, USC
    3. Ben Tate, RB, Auburn
    4. Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland
    5. Jarrett Brown, QB, West Virginia
    6. Thaddeus Gibson, OLB, Ohio State
    7. Pat Angerer, ILB, Iowa
    8. Tim Tebow, QB, Florida
    9. Jamar Chaney, ILB, Mississippi State
    10. Clifton Geathers, DE, South Carolina

Comment

Originally posted by RealityCheck View Post
      Thad Gibson in the first? Ok.

Top Winners
      1. Dorin Dickerson, WR, Pittsburgh
      2. Taylor Mays, S/OLB, USC
      3. Ben Tate, RB, Auburn
      4. Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland
      5. Jarrett Brown, QB, West Virginia
      6. Thaddeus Gibson, OLB, Ohio State
      7. Pat Angerer, ILB, Iowa
      8. Tim Tebow, QB, Florida
      9. Jamar Chaney, ILB, Mississippi State
      10. Clifton Geathers, DE, South Carolina
      Yeah, I think it's a reach. I think he is definitely a top 50 player. Good, not grea,t due to his size. If he slips to the third a team got a great steal.

I mean with the quality of this class, I seriously doubt the guy goes in the 1st.

Comment

Originally posted by The Article View Post
        Vince Oghobaase, DT, Duke. Some scouts had tagged him as a "sleeper" because of his size, athleticism and intelligence, but after a disappointing Combine he no longer holds that tag. He looked slow in all drills Monday, lacking speed and quickness and burst. He likely will fall into the late rounds.
        Man that is true. I remember people talking about him highly last year. What the heck happened to this guy?

Comment

Just Patrick A., making moves

Comment

Originally posted by killxswitch View Post
            Man that is true. I remember people talking about him highly last year. What the heck happened to this guy?
            He played at Duke, people might have confused him with a basketball player, happens a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by killxswitch View Post
              He had a knee injury this year, but he could play on it though not well. He's probably not fully recovered yet, if he'll ever be.

Comment

How is Taylor Mays a top winner? We all knew the kid was fast as hell ... did they play a game of football after the combine and he suddenly showed an ability to wrap up and make plays?

Comment

Originally posted by SRogers92 View Post
                  How is Taylor Mays a top winner? We all knew the kid was fast as hell ... did they play a game of football after the combine and he suddenly showed an ability to wrap up and make plays?
                  He had 268 career tackles and 5 ints. Can we stop saying he didnt make any plays. Plus he knocked a lot of jocks off.

Comment

REALLY?!?!?

5 INTs in 4 years ... simply astounding ... You're seriously going to use that as an arguement? Sorry to sound like an ass, but -- that's a joke ... right?

Oh -- but you're right -- he also forced 1 fumble his entire career ... mix that in with the total of 0 sacks and you get ... *drum roll* a playmaker! He's Vernon Gholston without the college stats to back it up ... which is scary.

Comment

The guy in the article is a lil off..lol

Comment

Being an admirer of USC football, I like Mays, except like many on these boards have reservations about him being a first-day pick. Terrific athleticism, sure, but having watched many SC games, he seems to have VERY poor instincts, which is evident by his lack of interceptions. Heck, Matt O'Hanlon from Nebraska has better stats than Mays, and better instincts, but will probably end up being UFA.

Comment

REALLY?!?!?

5 INTs in 4 years ... simply astounding ... You're seriously going to use that as an arguement? Sorry to sound like an ass, but -- that's a joke ... right?

Oh -- but you're right -- he also forced 1 fumble his entire career ... mix that in with the total of 0 sacks and you get ... *drum roll* a playmaker! He's Vernon Gholston without the college stats to back it up ... which is scary.
                          He's Bob Sanders on a 6'3" frame. What's not to like?

If you looked at Bob Sanders' stat sheet, you wouldn't think he's very good either. But everybody knows how invaluable he is to the Colts defense.

Comment

Taylor Mays is a winner at the combine because he didn't screw up.

Everyone assumed he was fast. Everyone assumed he could jump. Everyone assumed he was a physical specimen.

Going to Indy and doing/being ANYTHING but those things would have killed his stock.
                            So what does he do? Confirms all of the great things we thought about him, without having the risk of doing things in question (coverage).

How does he not win?
                            Originally posted by Babylon
                            It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

Comment

REALLY?!?!?

Let me ask what Deion Sanders clame to fame was (besides being a great kick returner). Answer, nobody threw to his side of the field. Teams worked on SC corners when they had time to throw, they stayed away from the deep middle. Can you tell i like the guy?:)

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information