Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is a guy like Matthews rated higher than a guy like Tate?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is a guy like Matthews rated higher than a guy like Tate?

Now to start with, I've never seen Matthews play. So if you can just tell by watching him run, please explain. But I have seen Tate and he's impressive. Matthews had a better SR season, but Tate didn't have a bad one either on a very crappy Auburn team in a very tough SEC conference. And the 2 previous years, both have pretty equal stats (Tate 664, 903 & Matthews 606, 866).

And at the combine, Matthews was impressive himself, but nobody was more impressive than Tate. Bigger, faster, strong, more explosive, better 3 cone.

So why is Matthews seen as a late 1st rounder and Tate mid 2nd?

There is a lot more to a prospect than their combine workouts.

Originally posted by fenikz
    His soft D really turns me off
    ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

The way they translate to an NFL offense... Matthews is ready to play on any down in any situation on an NFL team. He can catch, and he can block...

Comment

I could probably completely hi-jack this thing and ask why Mathews is rated higher than Gerhart who is bigger and more productive. Tate looks like a solid 2nd rounder at this point so i wouldnt think that is too off the mark.

Comment

HotRod35 does a good job describing a few reasons why teams would value Mathews higher than Tate here: http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...t=39001&page=2

Comment

How come you didn't see Matthews play? Fresno was on ESPN a few times... they played in a bowl game... they had a big Friday night game against Boise State where he tore them apart for 200+. I'd think more draft followers would remember that game.
            aka KGB Chicken

Comment

Originally posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
              How come you didn't see Matthews play? Fresno was on ESPN a few times... they played in a bowl game... they had a big Friday night game against Boise State where he tore them apart for 200+. I'd think more draft followers would remember that game.
              because i didn't watch those

Comment

Originally posted by Boston_george View Post
                HotRod35 does a good job describing a few reasons why teams would value Mathews higher than Tate here: http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...t=39001&page=2
                interesting. good points.

Comment

Originally posted by nepg View Post
                  The way they translate to an NFL offense... Matthews is ready to play on any down in any situation on an NFL team. He can catch, and he can block...
                  Tate can do all those things as well, and he's a better receiver than Matthews by a lot.

Matthews tape is really, really good. Speed, power, quickness...it's all there. Love the guy, he's probably the top rated back I have in this class.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Matthews looks faster and more physical in pads to me, also he comes out of a more traditional offense. I kind of feel like the RB's 2-10ish are kind of interchangeable depending on what you want.

Comment

Mathews has better vision and did his damage in a more pro style offense. He's a bit more of a physical presence and has a better use of the stiff-arm; Tate looks a little squatty in comparison. Tate plays faster by a bit, his blocking and receiving are far better, he has a lower center of gravity, and I believe he stayed healthier. Mathews has a sort of upright running style too that I think will land him a few injuries.
                      Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

Matthews has the vision and already knows how to run in a pro style offense. He knows how to hit the holes, and is patient and smart runner. The one thing that does make me suspicious, is that he comes from Fresno, where many of there prospects barely pan out. Gerhart, imo, is the next Brian Leonard.

Sig by Bone Krusher

Comment

I am a huge Ben Tate fan and have been for awhile and would love to have him in Cleveland, but he doesn't play at a 4.43 40

Matthews plays very fast on the field for a man with his size. 6.6 ypc is impressive... just needs to stay healthy

Comment

Mathews = Corey Dillon.

Comment

Originally posted by Supporting Caste View Post
                              Mathews = Corey Dillon.
                              Matthews = Ryan Grant

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information