Who is the best deep safety type

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is the best deep safety type

In this draft to replace Kerry Rhodes on the Jets assuming we don't get a veteran? Someone that we actually could get, because I know Berry is a stud but we have no chance at getting him.

Whats the ins and outs on Taylor Mays, could he be effective? I hear rumblings that he won't be a good safety but then others say he will be a good safety and has great range out there.

Do you think a coach like Rex Ryan and DB coach like Dennis Thurman will be able to bring out the best in a player like Mays? He has impressive physical tools. Plus he'll have 2 top notch cover CBs.

Some of the knocks I heard, although I don't mind it, is that he is a Bob Sanders type player, in the sense he will not go for the interception but the big hit instead. With him being a lot bigger than Bob Sanders I dont think he has to worry about being injured all the time like Bob. I also here his instincts are off, he bites hard on play fakes. Poor angles taken because he wants to deliver the big hit but that can be coached.

Sick Sig by the BONEKRUSHER

Originally posted by Raheem Morris
    Stats are for losers, so you keep looking at stats and we'll keep looking at wins.

Comment

I bet the Jets draft Reshad Jones and break my heart into pieces. :(

Totally their kind of player.

Comment

I dont believe the Jets traded Kerry Rhodes because they were planning on using a first rounder to replace him.
        my shoes hurt

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

Comment

I heard they're going to get OJ Atogwe from the Rams.

Last I heard from Adam Schefter, actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Morton View Post
            I heard they're going to get OJ Atogwe from the Rams.

Last I heard from Adam Schefter, actually.
            God I hope not!

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. Jaylon Smith 2. Artie Burns 3. Landon Turner

Comment

Taylor Mays is unreal as a deep cover safety. He doesn't have ball skills, but in terms of closing and making it hard to complete passes, he's probably the best in the draft.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Berry isn't impossible to get. Jets traded up last year, though it was for Sanchez they could do the same but less likely. As for the replacement for Rhodes, depending on who is there in the 1st you might be able to wait till round 2 to get a guy like Reshad Jones/Major Wright/Morgan Burnett/Nate Allen
                Originally posted by ATLDirtyBirds
                Coples is that dude.
                Go Amare. I Love Tayshaun Prince...

Orioles - Raiders - UNC - Nuggets/Wizards

Comment

I'm fairly sure we're not looking for a center field type Safety.
                  Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

Kendrick Lewis in the 5th or 6th. That guys a player...this years Rashad Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by SenorGato View Post
                      Kendrick Lewis in the 5th or 6th. That guys a player...this years Rashad Johnson.
                      What did Rashad do as a rookie? Was he a steal? i kno a lot of teams were down on him b/c of his 40

Sick Sig by the BONEKRUSHER

Originally posted by Raheem Morris
                      Stats are for losers, so you keep looking at stats and we'll keep looking at wins.

Comment

Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
                        I'm fairly sure we're not looking for a center field type Safety.
                        Why not? Kerry Rhodes last year played deep safety pretty much. Our other safeties don't have the range to cover deep. We will add another safety somewhere, be it a veteran or a rookie.

Comment

Originally posted by jetsfan0099 View Post
                          Why not? Kerry Rhodes last year played deep safety pretty much. Our other safeties don't have the range to cover deep. We will add another safety somewhere, be it a veteran or a rookie.
                          Rex values versatility. Evaluating a player solely in one respect isn't the way to go about it, because someone with limitations in another aspect of play would be seen as a liability. So you should be asking about who are the most well-rounded football players.
                          Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

Originally posted by jetsfan0099 View Post
                            I'd imagine that with the current pair of corners and the reasons Rhodes didn't fit in all that well last year, physicality will be at a premium. Granted, the ability to cover and make plays on the ball will be important as well, but I still think picking a guy with a physical nature will be very important. I know TTGS love Morgan Burnett who can do both. So not that they'd be looking for pure in the box SS type, but you need a guy who can do a little of both as TTGS said instead of a pure centerfield type.

I think D makes a great point about Reshad Johnson. Obviously he's not perfect but I think with his violent nature he could excel on this defense. Atogwe would be interesting as well since that would fill the team's biggest need, but I don't think they're going to meet his contract demands with a bunch of guys on the team in line for new deals soon. I'd imagine they'll grab somebody in rounds 2-5 and try to plug him in right away, and if he doesn't work out just let Smith start.

Comment

Originally posted by thetedginnshow View Post
                              Rex values versatility. Evaluating a player solely in one respect isn't the way to go about it, because someone with limitations in another aspect of play would be seen as a liability. So you should be asking about who are the most well-rounded football players.

But if you view Rex Ryan's defense he always had a guy at FS that has range, you don't want all slow guys. You need someone that can patrol out there and make plays.
                              On our roster right now the one thing we don't have out of a safety is the ability to cover ground.

Leonhard is good at what he does but he doesn't have the ability to play that role and same with Eric Smith.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information