Pioli: "You know how I feel about safeties that early"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pioli: "You know how I feel about safeties that early"

Atlanta GM Thomas Dimitroff calls the safety-at-the-top-of-the-draft debate a conundrum. "It's been on my mind a lot lately," he said, "and I realize I'm speaking out of both sides of my mouth here, but Berry's a really good player. It's been on my mind quite a bit recently. You want the good hitter with hip movement, able to turn and run, but then reality sets in. I was talking to [Kansas City GM] Scott Pioli about Berry, and I said, 'Scott, this guy's your pick.' And he said, 'You know how I feel about safeties that early.' And I understand.''
    Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz0ivWyRAa1

Smokescreen? Irrelevant, since Pioli could make an exception if Berry is a good enough prospect?

I dunno, but it seems to fall in line with what a lot of people are thinking about KC's pick, and there was a STRONG pre-draft read on what KC was going to do last year when they picked Tyson Jackson. This is going to be a very interesting team to watch as we inch closer to the draft. As much as KC fans don't want to see it happen, I would not be surprised to see a tackle, a trade down or a pick out of left field.

If KC wants to trade down to say #7 for an additional 3rd rounder, I'd do it;)

I was really surprised last year when Tyson Jackson was taken last year, so anything is possible. I wouldn't be surprised if they reached for a player.

Comment

Dan Williams - NT's are valued almost as high as Qb's these days, look at the contracts of ones that just signed. If you run a 3-4 you need a NT
      Patriots Draft 2015
      1. CB - Marcus Peters
      2. WR - Sammie Coates
      3. RB - David Johnson
      3. DT - Angelo Blackson
      4. OG - Tre Jackson
      4. DE - Za'Darius Smith
      5. LB - Ben Heeney
      6. TE - Wes Saxton
      7. OG - Jose Matais

Comment

Originally posted by RWills View Post
        Dan Williams - NT's are valued almost as high as Qb's these days, look at the contracts of ones that just signed. If you run a 3-4 you need a NT
        I was just going to throw the same thing out there. He's defined himself as the #1 NT in the draft and a definite top 15 value. If it came down to it, given Pioli's history, emphasis on DL and KC's need...we could see Dan Williams in the top 5, or at the very least, in a trade down.

Veeeerrryyy interestinggggg.

Comment

Thats actually an interesting idea. Dan Williams this years Tyson Jackson?

Comment

I just don't see Dan Williams being a 3-4 NT in the pros...

Twitter @mario_clp

Comment

Dan Williams is an interesting idea, but would KC want to make it three straight Top 5 picks of a defensive lineman? That's a lot of money tied up at the position and there are capable NT's available later in the draft. But after Tyson Jackson last year, nothing they do would really surprise me.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty D View Post
                Thats actually an interesting idea. Dan Williams this years Tyson Jackson?
                to the same team no less.

if they want a nose tackle wouldn't they be better off trading up a few picks with their second rounder, to get Cody?

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Cody could still go Baltimore or Chargers in round 1
                  Patriots Draft 2015
                  1. CB - Marcus Peters
                  2. WR - Sammie Coates
                  3. RB - David Johnson
                  3. DT - Angelo Blackson
                  4. OG - Tre Jackson
                  4. DE - Za'Darius Smith
                  5. LB - Ben Heeney
                  6. TE - Wes Saxton
                  7. OG - Jose Matais

Comment

Originally posted by RWills View Post
                    Cody could still go Baltimore or Chargers in round 1
                    see what I did there in my post? I said 'trading up'.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                    don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Originally posted by STsACE View Post
                      If KC wants to trade down to say #7 for an additional 3rd rounder.
                      I would take that deal in a heart beat move down two spots and pick up an extra 3rd to go along with their two seconds.

Comment

As a huge Chiefs fan, I can tell you that almost everyone wants Berry. He is this years Aaron Curry. The incredibly hyped up player who is a position of need, but we won't take him.
                        Pioli believes in building the OL and front 7. Parcells and Belicheck taught him this. Just look at the drafts he helped with in NE. A safety is not worth a top 5 pick to him and I think he is telling the truth when he says that.
                        KC has made some very good OL additions though. Lilja and Weigmann are starters. I can see Albert being moved to RT being that he doesn't make LT money and he is versatile. IMO Haley and Pioli think Albert is a decent LT, but his fundamentals are lacking.
                        Why pass up Okung or Bulaga who have very good fundamentals and are outstanding pass defenders?

Honestly I see OT or McClain as the pick. The KC brass had dinner with McClain the night before his pro day and Pioli loves LB's, also the Saban connection is there.
                        KC also just had a private workout with Kam Chancellor, so I can see a safety being taken with our late 2nd round pick or early 3rd.

Either way I'm trusting Pioli. I think Jackson was a great pick for what we are looking to do and I would take McClain over Curry in a 3-4 defense if I had a choice.

JUST DRAFT A QB DAMNIT!!!

Comment

I would have no problem what so ever with the Chiefs taking Okung at #5 but he is the only OT I feel worth that pick.

Comment

GMs need to remember 3 name when saying they wouldnt take a safety that early.

Kenny Easley
                            Ronnie Lott
                            Sean Taylor

Comment

This draft has too many quality NT prospects for KC to shell out top 5 money for yet another defensive lineman. They can try and trade up for Cody in round two or wait for Cam Thomas, Torrell Troup or Linval Joseph.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
                              JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
                              Originally posted by abaddon41_80
                              Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
                              Originally posted by JBCX
                              Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information