Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the Steelers draft a QB to send a message?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the Steelers draft a QB to send a message?

I was going to put this in the draft random discussion thread but on 2nd thought it might merit its own.

Every draft it seems there is some off the field big story about an NFL superstar misbehaving with guns/alcohol/sex just before the draft, or any combination thereof, & it suddenly changes the draft priorities of his team. Last yr. the offseason scandal involved Plaxico Burress & his handgun accident in NYC nightclub that had serious consequences for his career, I think he's out of fb now, & maybe for good.

With the recent statements from Goodell about taking Ben Rothlisberger's 2nd sexual assault accusation "very seriously," it could be a portent of sanctions against Ben Ben that could include but not limited to suspension from regular season games. It depends on whether any charges are filed or there is any adjudication of these charges, but the NFL hasn't been shy about sanctioning superstars for off the field violations. And this is both a 2nd offense & an alcohol-related one, as an associate said to ESPN last wk. "Was he the drunkest person there? No...... but he probably had a buzz on..." I think that translates into an acknowledgment from all witnesses present at the Georgia nightclub that evening that Ben was drunk.

ESPN has reported that the Steelers are gaga over Florida jr. center Maurkice Pouncey & will take him with the 18th pick in the 1st round. Their current center is Justin Hartwig, & they drafted a center last yr, A. Q. Shipley from Penn St., who signed with the Eagles in January. PFW lists their primary draft need as o-line, with ORT Willie Colon probably shifted inside to guard or another RG to e drafted.

But that could change overnight with charges being filed against Rothlisberger. The team re-signed Charlie Batch to a 2-yr contract last wk. as backup QB insurance, & no one considers Batch a starter anymore in the NFL. If Big Ben could miss games b/c of league sanctions, the team is going to need someone better than Batch under center.

And is there a roster more set than the Steelers who won the SB 2 yrs ago? If that is so, a new center could be a luxury pick. They are drafting at an uncharacteristic spot of 18th b/c of 2009 defensive disappointments relating to Troy Polamalu out with injuries& not any downgrade in o-line play, although the comment from PFW & others that their o-line is aging is true.

The Steelers organization is considered one of the best in FB & has been monitoring their starting QB's latest trouble with great interest. I can't see them trading for a veteran QB, or moving up to draft Sam Bradford or Clausen in the 1st rd, the cost would be too high & the Steelers jealously guard their draft choices, but taking a rapid riser up many draft boards like Dan LeFevour could happen in the 2nd or later rds. They arent going to let this situation lie -- If charges are filed &/or sanctions forthcoming against Rothlisberger, maybe even taking a QB in the 1st rd. to show both their starting QB & their fanbase they're serious about coming back to the playoffs in 2010. And to primarily send Big Ben a msg: Keep getting your name in the headlines from crashing vehicles & breaking your teeth out or sexually assaulting women while drunk & even you are expendable.

What do you think?
    Last edited by LizardState; 03-28-2010, 11:51 PM.

I think teams should always be open to drafting a QB if they have questions about their current situation at the game's single most important position. If Ben avoids any serious trouble, it's not like QBs are hard to trade. We see teams get value in return for QBs all the time. San Diego just got 2 mid round picks in return for Charlie Whitehurst. They should seriously consider taking Jimmy Clausen if he were there at 18. Guys like Jarrett Brown, Tony Pike, and John Skelton could be options in other rounds.
    Last edited by Halsey; 03-28-2010, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Send the Rams a 5th and Bulger is theirs. Bulger will do fine surrounded by talent.

Comment

An elite quarterback is something they won't draft. I could see them drafting Snead, LaFevour, or the Bowling Green QB and developing him. If Ben is out for a significant amount of time, I think they'll move ahead with Dixon as their starting quarterback.

Comment

I don't see them drafting a quarterback as an insurance policy for Ben; I was fairly impressed with Dennis Dixon when he took them to overtime against the Ravens in his first career start. Obviously you can't project an entire career off of one game, but he's now 3 years removed from tearing his ACL, and that was the only reason he lasted until the 5th round in '08. I would be surprised if they took a QB before the 5th round this year.

Comment

it depends if bens future with the team is in question, i dont think it is but if the rooneys are sick of it and plan to move on soon i think they go with dixon for a year at least.

please god dont target tebow....theres been tomlin-tebow man crush rumors
            E]

Comment

What would LeFevour do for the Steelers that Dixon can't? It's not like Dixon is some crap prospect, it makes no sense to make another lateral move, especially for a QB you need time to develop, which they have already done with Dixon.

Dixon can play, I don't know why people overlooking him like he's a scrub, before his ACL injury he was a very good prospect in his own right and looked solid last year. He'd get a chance to prove himself again before the Steelers took a QB early, especially one who is virtually similiar, what's the point?

Originally posted by Scott Wright
              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

wasting a 1st round pick on a QB to scare Ben is cutting off your nose to spite your face.
                Stafford Sig by touchdownrams the rest of the sig by Sig Master Bone Krusher Avy by King of all avys renji

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Originally posted by njx9
                oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                  What would LeFevour do for the Steelers that Dixon can't? It's not like Dixon is some crap prospect, it makes no sense to make another lateral move, especially for a QB you need time to develop, which they have already done with Dixon.

Dixon can play, I don't know why people overlooking him like he's a scrub, before his ACL injury he was a very good prospect in his own right and looked solid last year. He'd get a chance to prove himself again before the Steelers took a QB early, especially one who is virtually similiar, what's the point?
                  Those use to be my thoughts as well. But what made him special in College, he will no longer do in the Pro's. He's your typical black QB that would rather take a sack (to feel like a "real" QB), than gain positive yardage by running it.

A few more runs against Baltimore, and the Steelers win that game.

I'd take LeFevour any day of the week over Dixon. And I'd use a 2nd round pick to do so.

Comment

Sorry, I like many others forgot about Dixon after his ACL surgery. He can play but he's still very raw. If it came down to Dixon vs. Batch for the starting job in camp b/c Ben is doing jail time or was suspended for p/o the season, Batch would win the job b/c he has more experience & knows their playbook & offense better.

Best case: Big Ben ponies up millions to pay off the alleged rape victim & that's that. Worst case: Goodell makes an example of & throws the book at him & he misses many gamechecks. The question is still what the team will do, they won't sit idle at draft time if Ben is looking at wearing an orange jumpsuit instead of black & gold this Fall.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post

Never said LeFevour would do better than Dixon. I love DD and believe he can be a very good back up/spot starter for the Steelers if called upon. I also think he'd be good trade bait for a team that needs a QB *cough cough his hometown Raiders*.

Comment

Steelers better trade for Jim Sorgi straight up.

Mike Will & V-Jax

Comment

Originally posted by V-I-P View Post
                          Steelers better trade for Jim Sorgi straight up.

Comment

Just because Dixon looked ok in one game doesn't mean the Steelers should be sold on him as a potential long term starter if Big Ben needs to be replaced. Adding another QB would give them a better shot at finding at true long term starter, if that's what they need.

Comment

The resigning of Batch basically negates this possibility as anything more than a late round guy.

Follow Me on Twitter!
                              https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information