Is M.Pouncey is huge reach in top 10?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is M.Pouncey is huge reach in top 10?

Reports the Raiders really like Pouncey if they were to draft him 8th overall would that be considered a huge reach?

When you consider the OL that will be on the board 8th

Campbell, Davis, Williams all of them seem to have several issues with their game or off field.

I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about Pouncey.

Thoughts?

Lol thread name fail

Yes a center in the top 10 is a reach. Id take him 15-20 though

"Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
    @SirStackAlot707

Comment

It would be a pretty big reach, but at the same time the center important is becoming a lot more important these days with the advent of the 3-4 defense. The fiesty little guys teams used to use there (Dan Koppen) aren't really able to hold up against these bigger guys as much and so bigger, stronger centers are required. The Raiders play in a division with three teams running the 3-4 defense, so they're going to be going against those nose tackles pretty often. Pouncey would certainly help them out there. However, it'd be a little bit ridiculous to spend that early of a pick on him. If they were able to trade down ten picks or so, that would make more sense.

Comment

He's be a reach but I guess value is in the eye of the beholder. I think the middle to late 1st is where he should go. He has the ability to play center and guard which helps his value but if you could trade down, pick up some extra picks, and nab him I think would be a better option. Taking him in the top 10 would just be overpaying a non-premium position in my opinion, which is why guards and centers rarely go in the 1st round.

Comment

i dont get why people love him so much

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
          - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
          - Corner or Wideout in the first
          - No reaching
          - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

any center is a huge massive reach inside of the top 15. If they want him they can either trade up from their round 2 pick, or do what the browns did last year and trade down a bunch until their pick is in the 20s and take him.

Comment

I love how he has been considered a late first-early second round prospect for months and now that I'm starting to come around to the eagles drafting him everyone is projecting him to be gone by then.

Comment

Has a Center ever been drafted in the top 10 since 1980??

Look, if my team was loaded at every position and simply lacked quality Center play, I could rationalize the pick. But since most good Centers are available late in the first round on down, picking one in the top 10 is poor value IMO.

Comment

To answer the question, I wouldn't put anything past Al Davis.

Comment

Al Davis is the same guy to take a kicker in the first round - if Cable convinces him that the center play is a significant part of the team's offensive struggles (besides the obvious poor QB play), then there's absolutely no stopping him from going in that direction. These are the Oakland Raiders after all. It'd be a great way to stick it to the Broncos who I'm certain are eyeing him as well. For whatever reason I think Pouncey's value is greater in the scouting community than it is in the draftnik community. He's as clean of a prospect on and off the field as you're going to find in this class and he can give you an immediate return on your investment by stepping in day one and solidifying the position for 10 years at the minimum.

Here's what Wes Bunting of the National Football Post has to say on Pouncey:

Pouncey is a massive 6-5, 318-pound interior lineman who displays the flexibility and power to consistently overwhelm defenders in the run game, as well as the fluidity and athleticism to slide his feet and mirror in pass protection. Pouncey not only looks like the nation’s top center prospect, he grades out as one of the draft’s top overall talents in my opinion. He has the makings of someone capable of winning a starting job in training camp and eventually developing into one of the league’s top centers.
                    BTW, excellent post ROP.

Comment

It would definately be a reach, but at least they'd get a good player....unlike Russell and Heyward-Bey.

Comment

Who was the highest pick for a center? Mack?

Comment

Originally posted by RealityCheck View Post
                          Who was the highest pick for a center? Mack?
                          Bruce Matthews went #8 but is primarily known as a guard.

Comment

It's an obvious reach and if the team was smart, then they would at least trade with a team like Pittsburgh, San Francisco or Tennessee to try and get Pouncey if they truly wanted him at #8.

Personally, I think Pouncey is a fantastic prospect. Fantastic combination of size, speed and versatility. He and Iupati have definite 1st round grades.

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig

Comment

Originally posted by 619 View Post
                              Al Davis is the same guy to take a kicker in the first round - if Cable convinces him that the center play is a significant part of the team's offensive struggles (besides the obvious poor QB play), then there's absolutely no stopping him from going in that direction. These are the Oakland Raiders after all.
                              I'm not sure Cable would have anything to do with this. It could be Al is looking for another Jim Otto. That sounds kind of crazy, but....well, it is Al.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information