Is Terrence Cody worth a top 10 pick?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Terrence Cody worth a top 10 pick?

I'm just curious, what do you guys think of Cody being picked in the top 10 by a 3-4 team needing a NT?

Is he worth it or would it be a reach?

I think the Bills could do it if they didn't get who they want at OT or I guess QB....or Bryant.

I also think the Jaguars would pull the trigger too...I think there's the outside shot he goes in the top 12, but I'm really holding out that he falls to 29.

Comment

Quite frankly.. I don't think so.

His weight and conditioning are too much of a red flag to sink that kind of money into him.

Also he's basically just a one dimensional 2 down player. If all you want is a big guy to take up blockers, take Cam Thomas or Linval Joseph later in the draft.

If you want to spend a high pick on a NT, take Dan Williams.

Cody is a mid to late 2nd rounder to me, I wouldn't want my team considering him before that.

Comment

Hell the **** no he isn't. If any GM is dumb enough to take that big of a risk and give a kid like this that much money up front he'll deserve losing his job.

If a team absolutely has to get a NT in the top ten Dan Williams is available and much safer with wonderful upside himself.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
        JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
        Originally posted by abaddon41_80
        Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
        Originally posted by JBCX
        Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

I would say it would be big reach but it would certainly be worth it to a team that needs a NT. As far as run stuffers go I can't remember seeing a better one, Cody takes at least 2 players to move him out in the run game and he could definitely anchor a 3-4 defense for a long time and have the same impact as a Vince Wilfork, Casey Hampton, Dan Washington or Kris Jenkins.

Comment

Originally posted by Morton View Post
            I'm just curious, what do you guys think of Cody being picked in the top 10 by a 3-4 team needing a NT?

Is he worth it or would it be a reach?
            I think it's a waste of a draft pick. I wouldn't have him on my draft board. His weight problems really concern me.

Comment

We heard the same weight issue/conditioning slams on Andre Smith, but he still went top-10. Now, LTs are more premier positions than NTs, etc. But I think some 3-4 team will take him higher than most people expect...

www.minnesotavikingsnation.com

Comment

Originally posted by akvikefan89 View Post
                We heard the same weight issue/conditioning slams on Andre Smith, but he still went top-10. Now, LTs are more premier positions than NTs, etc. But I think some 3-4 team will take him higher than most people expect...
                Andre Smith was also way more dominant on the field and didn't have to be a rotational player. But if you want to play this game we also heard these same concerns with Gabe Watson and Alan Branch and they fell from potential top ten picks to 4th rounders.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
                JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
                Originally posted by abaddon41_80
                Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
                Originally posted by JBCX
                Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

Casey Hampton shows up every year in August the same way; fat, out of shape, slow, all the same things that people say about Cody everytime his name is brought up.

Yet for some reason it's not a big deal for Hampton, but for Cody it's the hugest knock ever, I don't get it. And it's not like this happened once for Hampton, this is a reoccuring theme. Cody will always be fat.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                  I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosebud View Post
                    Andre Smith was also way more dominant on the field and didn't have to be a rotational player. But if you want to play this game we also heard these same concerns with Gabe Watson and Alan Branch and they fell from potential top ten picks to 4th rounders.
                    I'm not saying one way or the other whether he'll go top-10, I actually wouldn't take him top-10, or top-20 for that matter. But too many people just focus on his weight and conditioning problems, which is why I point out Andre Smith.

www.minnesotavikingsnation.com

Comment

Exactly.. Andre Smith's lack of conditioning cost him millions of dollars. You put Andre Smith's game tape in Jason Smith's, or actually any OL in decent shape's body, and you have yourself the #1 overall pick of the 09 draft.

Cody is not that good of a player. People like the big name, and the Bama program, but he's not that talented. He's not as talented as Jamaal Williams. Would you take him top 10?

Comment

Terrence Cody will show up fat to training camp every year, much like Casey Hampton. He won't get to the quarterback more than maybe once a year, but Jamal Williams has the grand total of 13 sacks over 12 seasons. He is a premier space eater in the middle as a 3-4, and I'd MUCH rather have a producing player like him over a workout warrior like Cam Thomas. He is a strong 2nd round prospect, because of the weight issues, but I think he will be successful in the NFL. A 3-4 team COULD have him very high on their big board, but to be top 10 he have to be over Dan Williams, and I don't think that will happen. I see him go of the board late 1st/early second, and having a successful career.
                        Last edited by evenar; 03-31-2010, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                          Casey Hampton shows up every year in August the same way; fat, out of shape, slow, all the same things that people say about Cody everytime his name is brought up.

Yet for some reason it's not a big deal for Hampton, but for Cody it's the hugest knock ever, I don't get it. And it's not like this happened once for Hampton, this is a reoccuring theme. Cody will always be fat.
                          The key difference is that Hampton has demonstrated that he can play in the A-gap in the NFL at a high level. Guys who know the position well can sacrifice speed and burst for bulk and power, and get by with their ability to stack, shift, and find the ball. But for young NTs, ultimately until they've demonstrated that they have NFL blocking schemes figured out and they have a good nose for the ball, have to get by on explosive push upfront. It's no good to be an immovable object, if you're unable to move to the ball.

Remember, in the 3-4 defense the NT is lined up right with his hat on the center, so he's not in position to keep the G's from getting to the second level, if they choose not to block him. To be effective, in case he's left alone on the C, a 3-4 NT needs to be able to either blow up the center to such a degree that the NT can make a play in the backfield or alternatively shift laterally well enough to get in the way of a play that is not ran right at him. Young guys do the former, and veterans do the latter. But Cody is not a sufficiently explosive athlete to be anything more than a "defensive blocker" for the most part; as, in any play that's not run right at him, he probably wouldn't be able to make the play if unblocked unless it's an especially slow developing play (i.e. you don't even need to bother to block him on 5-step drops or outside runs).

Now, get him into an NFL coaching program, bring him along slow, and have him learn the position and he could grow into a great NT, but he's not going to start out as one. Impact player in 4 years? Sure, but impact player in his first couple? Absolutely not.

That being said though, he's much closer to ready if you ask him to play the nose in the 4-3, which is a much simpler position to play. That's not really as much of a key position in the 4-3, although a great one can really be the lynch pin of your defense (c.f. Pat Williams) if paired with a good UT.
                          Last edited by PossibleCabbage; 03-31-2010, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Cody going top 10 would be a gigantic mistake. Earliest I could see him going is around 25 but I think he is, at best, a solid second round prospect.

Originally posted by fenikz
                            His soft D really turns me off
                            ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

I don't know how more dominant a NT has to be besides taking on 2-3 guys a play, which he does every play. But to answer the question, unless your only need to switch to a 3-4 is the NT, you shouldn't pick him.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information