Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayock: Redskins should take Trent Williams > Okung?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayock: Redskins should take Trent Williams > Okung?

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/04/07/will...ector-at-no-4/

Williams could be McNabb’s protector at No. 4

Posted: April 7th, 2010 | Mike Mayock

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about the effect the Donovan McNabb trade will have on the draft, and the more I think about it the more I believe the Redskins will be a factor in the NFC East. They have a veteran quarterback now and they’re going to draft a left tackle with pick No. 4. And keep in mind, they could have a choice between Oklahoma State’s Russell Okung and Oklahoma’s Trent Williams, the two top tackles in the entire draft.

If so, they could go with Williams, even though he is generally regarded as the No. 2 left tackle behind Okung. Williams fits Washington’s scheme better. He’s a little bit more athletic for the Redskins’ zone-blocking scheme. I think Williams makes more sense for the Redskins at pick No. 4.

The other McNabb effect is on the quarterback situation with Jimmy Clausen, whose pro day I will be at on Friday in South Bend. He had a shot at going to the Redskins before the McNabb trade, but not anymore. The medicals and how he is evaluated off the field will go a long way in determining if he is going to be a top-10 pick.

www.minnesotavikingsnation.com

Williams has been the best tackle in this class imo. Okung is a very solid player but not really dominate. If it wasn't for Williams struggling along with the entire Oklahoma offense I think he would have been in this conversation a lot longer.
    Originally posted by 49erNation85
    I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

think it should read:

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about the effect the Donovan McNabb trade will have on the draft, and the more I think about it the more I believe the Redskins will be a factor in the NFC East. They have a veteran quarterback now and they’re going to draft a left tackle with pick No. 4. And keep in mind, they could have a choice between Oklahoma State’s Russell Okung and Oklahoma’s Trent Williams, the two top tackles in the entire draft.

Comment

And i dont agree, although trent williams is the more NFL ready tackle, his ceiling is no where near as high as Okung's. It doesn't make sense for a team to bank on a prospect primarily because he could help them temporarily, you want a player at #4 to be a building block of the franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by BaLLiN72 View Post
          And i dont agree, although trent williams is the more NFL ready tackle, his ceiling is no where near as high as Okung's. It doesn't make sense for a team to bank on a prospect primarily because he could help them temporarily, you want a player at #4 to be a building block of the franchise.
          Actually I think you have that backwards.

Okung is the safe pick, with the higher floor.

Williams is more athletic, with a higher ceiling.

Comment

I don't really agree with Trent Williams' meteoric rise up into the top 5-6, but the guy did put up a freakish performance at the combine and I'm sure teams are thinking they can coach him up into a prime LT. I don't think that warrants him over Okung, no matter what the scheme, but I wouldn't guarantee that it won't happen.

The thing I don't get about this angle is that Okung is no slouch himself. Maybe Williams looks faster on paper but I'd hardly say it's some big advantage or difference between the two.

Comment

I like Okung better as a prospect and if I were the Redskins, then I'd take Okung at #4.

Comment

Originally posted by akvikefan89 View Post
                http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/04/07/will...ector-at-no-4/

Williams could be McNabb’s protector at No. 4

Posted: April 7th, 2010 | Mike Mayock

If so, they could go with Williams, even though he is generally regarded as the No. 2 left tackle behind Okung. Williams fits Washington’s scheme better. He’s a little bit more athletic for the Redskins’ zone-blocking scheme. I think Williams makes more sense for the Redskins at pick No. 4.

The other McNabb effect is on the quarterback situation with Jimmy Clausen, whose pro day I will be at on Friday in South Bend. He had a shot at going to the Redskins before the McNabb trade, but not anymore. The medicals and how he is evaluated off the field will go a long way in determining if he is going to be a top-10 pick.
                I usually don't think Mayock is just talking to hear himself talk, but this is extremely stupid.

Okung is just as a good a fit in a zone-blocking system and a better LT than Williams is.

He's got better hands, better feet, and isn't one of those 335-pound behemoths that can't block in space.

Plus, the Redskins just traded for a QB who can - if you need him to - throw it 50 times. The most important area for a LT prospect to excel in is pass protection. Okung is clearly the superior pass blocker.
                "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

I swear that Williams has become a workout warrior.

I can remember before his combine that the biggest knock was whether he had the quickness to play LT. I still think that is the biggest concern, 40 time regardless. I also think he will be solid down the road.

I also still feel safest with Okung at LT. I don't particularly like any of this years prospects, I just think he has the highest floor and the highest upside. I'm just not sure that either of those are particularly high...

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

I don't regard Williams as a workout warrior. Before the season he was seen as a top 5-10 pick by most and while he didn't have the best season he is still a top prospect. His combine showing may have boosted his stock but mock drafts that had him falling to the late 20s and even second round were very unrealistic IMO

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

I'm not sure if I completely agree that Williams is more athletic than Okung just yet b/c Okung is a monster himself. I like Williams' agility and nimbleness more, but Okung has exceptional footwork and is just a natural knee bender. He tends to lunge at some points, but that is something that can be fixed at the next level with good coaching.

Okung is still my 4th best prospect while Williams is somewhere in the 6-10 range.

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig

Comment

I'll take either although I do tend to believe that Williams could be a better fit. TBH I'd rater trade down mid first and recoup some 2nd and 3rd round picks for depth. I'd love for Suh or McCoy to drop to 4 so we could trade down. Hell not that Denver would do it but I always thought about some sort of package swap in which we get #11 and Brandon Marshall while Denver gets #4. I hear all the moans but if we were picking outside of the top 10 I'd love to get Bruce Campbell here in D.C.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
                        http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
                        Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
                        http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

Originally posted by wogitalia View Post
                          I swear that Williams has become a workout warrior.

I can remember before his combine that the biggest knock was whether he had the quickness to play LT. I still think that is the biggest concern, 40 time regardless. I also think he will be solid down the road.

I also still feel safest with Okung at LT. I don't particularly like any of this years prospects, I just think he has the highest floor and the highest upside. I'm just not sure that either of those are particularly high...
                          The thing is he ran his 40 time fast, so he showed that he could play LT.

If the 'Skins are planning on staying smart they grab Okung. He's clearly the better player, especially at LT.

Comment

Originally posted by SenorGato View Post
                            The thing is he ran his 40 time fast, so he showed that he could play LT.

If the 'Skins are planning on staying smart they grab Okung. He's clearly the better player, especially at LT.
                            Not true. I'm not completely convinced Campbell is a natural fit at LT, despite his time and measurables. I agree that Williams' potential is on the left side, which is why he's getting this top five talk, just to suggest it's mainly due to a mere 40 time is illogical. His poor performance on that side last year was due to many things and from what I can tell, most of those things seem to be correctable with better coaching and with someone who can teach him better positioning, particularly in protecting the blind side. He appears to be a natural knee bender and he can move laterally sufficiently enough with great balance to remain there long-term.

Comment

mayoks just tryin to get air time. this is silly. you dont take williams at 4. you take okung or trade down.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information