Prospect of the Day: QB Ryan Mallett, Arkansas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prospect of the Day: QB Ryan Mallett, Arkansas

To see previously discussed prospects, click here.

QB Ryan Mallett, Arkansas
    6'7 - 238 lbs. - Junior

Highlights!

This guy has all the physical tools required to be a great QB. Very big guy, very strong arm, will be an early pick come draft time. I've heard some people like him more than Locker. What do you guys think of him?
    Last edited by Mr. Goosemahn; 08-13-2010, 05:41 PM.

Props to clover_jeez!

I've got him behind Locker, but if both have good seasons, both could easily be top 5 picks. The tools are all there for Mallett, I think he just needs another year of polish.

This might be the first draft in a while where there isn't a clear top candidate at QB.
    Last edited by BeerBaron; 08-13-2010, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
      I've got him behind Locker, but if both have good seasons, both could easily be top 5 picks. The tools are all there for Mallett, I think he just needs another year of polish.

This might be the first draft in a while where there isn't a clear top candidate.
      for top qb?

btw i dont like qbs who are as bat **** crazy as mallett is,

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
      - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
      - Corner or Wideout in the first
      - No reaching
      - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

The talent is there. The biggest problem I see in him is how he gets off balance and can make a bad throw. This might have improved this season, so we'll see.

Comment

This might be the first draft in a while where there isn't a clear top candidate.
          I agree with you almost entirely, but I do think that by the end of the year one of them will have a slight advantage, but it is very, very possible that the only thing that decides who gets picked first out of the 2 is the team, such as location/weather and coaching styles. Like I think Buffalo would prefer Mallett due to his arm strength in that weather, where as other teams, such as WCO teams, may not need that strong of an arm and may choose Locker, who I do like better than Mallett but both are in my top 5.

sig by BK and avy by me
          Originally posted by A Perfect Score
          If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.

Comment

Originally posted by marshallb View Post
            I agree with you almost entirely, but I do think that by the end of the year one of them will have a slight advantage, but it is very, very possible that the only thing that decides who gets picked first out of the 2 is the team, such as location/weather and coaching styles. Like I think Buffalo would prefer Mallett due to his arm strength in that weather, where as other teams, such as WCO teams, may not need that strong of an arm and may choose Locker, who I do like better than Mallett but both are in my top 5.
            Well that's what I meant by no clear cut favorite QB. If both guys have at least solid years, we may not know until the name is called which is going to be drafted first. Other drafts recently seem to have a clear cut favorite as the top QB, with no legitimate challenge to their position.

And if Luck were to have a great season and come out (unlikely but not impossible) in addition to Mallett and Locker, we could really see a jumble at the very top with some excellent QBs available.

Comment

Well that's what I meant by no clear cut favorite QB. If both guys have at least solid years, we may not know until the name is called which is going to be drafted first. Other drafts recently seem to have a clear cut favorite as the top QB, with no legitimate challenge to their position.

And if Luck were to have a great season and come out (unlikely but not impossible) in addition to Mallett and Locker, we could really see a jumble at the very top with some excellent QBs available.
              Yea, I knew what you meant. I just kind of felt like explaining my thoughts on it. Don't forget my man Christian Ponder, I don't see him becoming a top 10 prospect in this draft, but I love him in the late teens and 20s, and see him becoming a very solid NFL QB.

sig by BK and avy by me
              If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.

Comment

Originally posted by marshallb View Post
                Yea, I knew what you meant. I just kind of felt like explaining my thoughts on it. Don't forget my man Christian Ponder, I don't see him becoming a top 10 prospect in this draft, but I love him in the late teens and 20s, and see him becoming a very solid NFL QB.
                Yeah, I think even with a good year (assuming the other guys have at least OK years) Ponder is still a good "tier" behind them.

Sort of the JP Losman compared to potential Eli, Ben, Rivers....(As prospects, assuming no one tanks it in 2010)

Comment

Yeah, I think even with a good year (assuming the other guys have at least OK years) Ponder is still a good "tier" behind them.

Sort of the JP Losman compared to potential Eli, Ben, Rivers....(As prospects, assuming no one tanks it in 2010)
                  Yup, I feel the exact same way, pretty much that almost no matter what Ponder does this year, he's still gonna be behind Locker and Mallett, and Luck if he comes out. I don't think Luck will come out unless he has a very good year and it's announced that their will be a rookie wage scale in place for 2012, or if he's perceived to be the absolute #1 QB prospect ahead of Locker and Mallett.

I also like the 2004 QB draft comparison to this year's. I was only remotely following the draft at that time though, so I didn't really know much about the players as prospects.

sig by BK and avy by me

Comment

My favorite 2011 prospect right now by a healthy margin and my most analyzed & critiqued player going into the upcoming season. Anyone that's been here for a little while and pays close attention to the Draft Board will know that Ryan Mallett has been my guy from last November and they'll know that I have a lot to say about him.

Before I put together an organized and detailed scouting report (likely my most comprehensive of any 2011 prospect) I'd like to share a few quotes of mine regarding Mallett. In reading these notice my opinions on Mallett progress. There's a lot of detailed analysis in these posts that will comprise much of my scouting report. I literally sat and watched Mallett with my eyes wide in amazement. He can do things I've never seen done before and I expect him to screw up, yet the screw-ups never really came so I sat in awe. Truly a privilege to watch a guy like him at the college level.

Originally posted by ThePudge 11/19/09
                    - Arkansas QB Ryan Mallett is not a finished product, and no one is under the impression that he is. He needs to improve his accuracy and consistency, as well as footwork in and outside the pocket. To fully complete his development, Mallett needs to become more of a quarterback than a ball-thrower. He needs to be able to command his team in the huddle and he needs to emerge as a true team leader.

With that all said, he has unbelievable natural tools. He has one of the strongest arms I've ever seen in football. The zip this guy puts on deep outs and passes over 40 yards is unreal. He has tremendous size, standing well over 6'6 and weighing in at over 235 pounds. He shows poise, accuracy on his intermediate-deep routes, and the ability to put the ball 70+ yards downfield or squeeze a ball into the tightest spots. He also protects the ball remarkably well for his aggressive style (4 interceptions). Athletically, he's more similar to JaMarcus Russell coming out of LSU than Andrew Walter out of ASU. He definitely shows the ability to move and to pick up yards with his legs, but like Russell, he lacks development of footwork in and outside the pocket.

There's just simply too much natural talent and ability there to overlook Mallett as a serious NFL prospect. In the beginning of the season Mallett was unproven and extremely raw, but he's settled in at Arkansas, looks a lot more comfortable, and has improved his game a startling amount. He's not anywhere near complete, in fact, of any Top Three Round QB prospect this year, he probably has the furthest to go as well as overall development. Still, God has given him the most natural talent of the bunch, and of just about all of recent QB prospects. If Ryan Mallett makes the move to come out this year, he's likely to find a way into the Top 15-20. If he stays, he's the frontrunner for the #1 pick in 2011.
                    Originally posted by ThePudge 11/23/09
                    Arkansas QB Ryan Mallett completed 18 of 34 passes for 310 yards 5 Touchdowns and 2 Interceptions in a 42-21 win over Mississippi State. Some may gripe about his 53% completion percentage on the day, and two interceptions, but Iím willing to bet people didnít watch every pass Mallett threw on Saturday. Iím happy to say I did. While his shortcomings were evident at times, he showed a remarkable amount of improvement and displayed a little of everything against the Bulldogs. Mallett went up top, put balls over his receivers shoulder, and scored. Mallett surveyed the field, checked down, and scored. Mallett rolled out of the pocket, bought time with his feet, threw across his body, and scored. Iím more confident than ever that he can make all of the throws JaMarcus Russell could coming out of LSU, perhaps more. He has a beautiful play-action fake and throws a near immaculate deep ball. All day he did what the Razorbacks coaches and his teammates needed him to do.

For a guy who doesnít get much credit for intangibles, heís incredibly poised and doesnít get rattled easily. He went 3/3 in the redzone, including two Td passes. Both times he forced passes into tight spots and ended up getting picked off, he led his team back. I havenít seen Mallett rattled and heís absolutely scary when he gets in a rhythm. He seems to be a fine teammate as well and you can tell his line & receivers rally around him and feed off his presence. He seems to be clearing up a lot of misconceptions about himself as a player and person every week. I wrote above in my initial thoughts that Mallett remained more of a ball-thrower than a quarterback, and I think I may be eating some crow already as he has some innate QB skills. He surveys the defense, makes good pre-snap reads, and goes through his progressions quickly, not taking the amount of sacks and hits youíd expect behind a very average offensive line. Mechanically, his release is quick, high, and he throws a very pretty ball. His accuracy is one of his stronger points as he can put the ball in the tightest spots, almost always gives his receivers a chance to catch the ball with his location, and shows the ability to time his receivers very well coming out of breaks and running full stride.

Mallett still showed some drawbacks as a prospect, not everything was perfect. His footwork in the pocket remains average, more inconsistent than anything, and out of the pocket he looks significantly more comfortable moving out to his right and throwing the ball than he does to his left. Heís still getting a lot of balls dropped and a big part of it is how hard he throws the ball on short to intermediate routes. He needs to find some touch on those passes, especially over the middle of the field, if he wants to be a complete player. That kind of thing will get him into some trouble at the next level.

Man, what a prospect though. I tried to go out on a limb in my original post, mentioning Mallett as a potential Top 15 pick this year. I really donít consider that going out on a limb anymore. So howís this, if Mallett declares in 2010, he will be a Top 10 pick and is going to have a better chance than some think at being the first Quarterback off the board.

Originally posted by The Pudge 3/20/10
                    Ryan Mallett used to play at about 265 (and looked fine), but his coaches at Arkansas urged him to get into the 235-245 range. The weight loss threw off his footwork in the pocket a bit, but by the end of the season Mallett looked more comfortable than ever and smoother in his drop & footwork in/outside the pocket. He's not a statue, he can pick up yards with his feet when he needs to and is an exceptional passer when moving to his right. He's very good at keeping his eyes downfield, surveys his options well, and he can make any throw. He was remarkably efficient & his numbers are somewhat skewed by his receivers that dropped anywhere from 5-10 balls PER game. I can't tell you how many balls went through Razorbacks' hands a year ago or hit them between the numbers; this happened in big games and big situations.

I was unbelievably impressed by how well the big-armed Mallett operated his team though. Character concerns stem off of Mallett's reactions on the field at times to dropped balls. He's an extremely competitive player on the field & will hold his teammates accountable. Later in the season his coaches and receivers gained a little more trust in their Quarterback and by the end of the season it was clear that the Arkansas Razorbacks were Mallett's team. He's going to put his team on his shoulders like he did so many times a year ago from game to game & in tough situation. His ability to handle the two-minute drill surprised me the first few times I watched him as he's a guy that knows exactly what he's doing and has the capability to do anything. In the redzone Mallett's efficiency & confidence shine.

His broken foot sets him back a bit in terms of developing consistent footwork in /outside the pocket but his production on the field shouldn't see any hit. The best passer in the SEC in 2009 is likely to be the best player in the nation in 2010 & in my opinion, the odds-on favorite to be the 1st Overall Pick next April.
                    I'll admit that I need to try to find more out about Ryan Mallett as a person off the field as he certainly rubbed some people the wrong way at Michigan. He seems to have a very good idea of the physical tools he's working with & the talent that he has and it can lead to some fiery moments. My hope is that he's a coachable individual and doesn't think he's done working. I have HIGH hopes for him. Arkansas is the trendy pick to contend in the SEC, this is why.

These posts don't even include analysis of Mallett vs. LSU, which was one of the most memorable games of the year for me. I saw him run the two-minute drill as well as anyone I've ever watched. It doesn't hurt that the guy can throw any pass imaginable.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                    - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                    www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

I think the first sentance of your first quote is the key to Mallett for me at least. I said it a little earlier that the thing he needs to do most this year is become more polished.

I think he's in a good offense to do that, though the conference won't do him any favors....if he manages to look good against the tougher teams though, he could leapfrog Locker who only has the PAC-10 to beat up on.

Comment

I think the first sentance of your first quote is the key to Mallett for me at least. I said it a little earlier that the thing he needs to do most this year is become more polished.

I think he's in a good offense to do that, though the conference won't do him any favors....if he manages to look good against the tougher teams though, he could leapfrog Locker who only has the PAC-10 to beat up on.
                        In the second quote I kind of detail that I wasn't giving him enough credit. He's not a finished product, I'll stand by that.. but he's a much better Quarterback than I first thought. Recently I discovered he also led the nation a year ago in Passer Rating by a pretty healthy margin. I'm not a big fan of stats, but in his first year starting in the SEC, I can't help but to be impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePudge View Post
                          In the second quote I kind of detail that I wasn't giving him enough credit. He's not a finished product, I'll stand by that.. but he's a much better Quarterback than I first thought. Recently I discovered he also led the nation a year ago in Passer Rating by a pretty healthy margin. I'm not a big fan of stats, but in his first year starting in the SEC, I can't help but to be impressed.
                          Did he really?

I know passer efficiency and passer rating are seperate statistics.
                          Virginia Tech.
                          ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
                            Did he really?

I know passer efficiency and passer rating are seperate statistics.
                            Actually if you look at Espn's statistics page, they list Mallett as #1 in Passer Rating. After clicking on the complete page, it shows him at 8th. I apologize for that.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePudge View Post
                              Actually if you look at Espn's statistics page, they list Mallett as #1 in Passer Rating. After clicking on the complete page, it shows him at 8th. I apologize for that.
                              That's still fairly impressive considering that every other name on the list except for Tebow and Clausen played in non-BCS conferences and/or pass-whacky schemes.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information