LaMichael James, RB, Oregon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LaMichael James, RB, Oregon

What is he? Can he be a 20 carry a game guy in the NFL, or is he just a scat back? Was he just a product of the system, or did he make the system work?

Where would you guys take him?

I think we're seeing more and more in the NFL that you don't have to be huge to be a productive back in the league, and with so many teams utilizing more than one rusher, it's rare that any one RB has to shoulder the full load anymore.

I think he could definitely be a productive NFL RB and I think he's a high 2nd rounder right now.

Comment

Use him in the Eric Metcalf/Reggie Bush type role or be dissapointed.

Would I take that at the top of the 2nd round? If I'm a team trying to get the final pieces in place for a championship, I'd certainly consider it.

Comment

Yeah, like BeerBaron said, these RB's nowadays aren't carrying the ball 30-35 times a game anymore.

Most of the time they are getting between 15-20 carries and maybe another 3-4 catches out of the backfield a game.

James is talented and his speed could push him into the first. Unfortunately all the top end talent in the first round could push him into the 2nd.
        Check out my NFL Draft work at http://nflsoup.com

Follow me on Twitter @NFLSoupKeet

Comment

Originally posted by DaBrowns41 View Post
          James is talented and his speed could push him into the first. Unfortunately all the top end talent in the first round could push him into the 2nd.
          Mark Ingram seems to be the only back that is worthy of a first round pick right now...I don't think competition is something he needs to be worried about.

Comment

Originally posted by PhinsRock View Post
            Mark Ingram seems to be the only back that is worthy of a first round pick right now...I don't think competition is something he needs to be worried about.
            I'd give Daniel Thomas a first round grade as well. But he could also slide thanks to the all the DE's that could be drafted in the first.
            Check out my NFL Draft work at http://nflsoup.com

Follow me on Twitter @NFLSoupKeet

Comment

If he declares, he'd be my #2 back, behind Ingram and above Murray. I'm a huge fan of James though, I think he's going to be a very electric NFL player and a nice weapon for a team. Probably not a feature back, but then again very few guys are these days. He's a 15 touch per game guy who will do some damage in space and has speed to burn. He could squeak into the end of Round 1 a la Jahvid Best if he tests well, but I think he's more of a second round guy at the moment. I'm very high on him though, and I know some others are as well.
              Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
              The APS is strong in this one.
              Originally posted by killxswitch
              Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

I think if he declares he is a mid-to-late first rounder, probably the 2nd guy off the board after Mark Ingram. He's a home-run-hitter in the Chris Johnson mold and someone will take a chance on his big play ability somewhere in the 1st. Wouldn't mind if that team was the Phins. All he needs is 20 touches a game to make a big impact. I'm a fan.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. Jaylon Smith 2. Artie Burns 3. Landon Turner

Comment

Originally posted by thebow305 View Post
                  I think if he declares he is a mid-to-late first rounder, probably the 2nd guy off the board after Mark Ingram. He's a home-run-hitter in the Chris Johnson mold and someone will take a chance on his big play ability somewhere in the 1st. Wouldn't mind if that team was the Phins. All he needs is 20 touches a game to make a big impact. I'm a fan.
                  He doesn't run between the tackles in college, so I'm not willing to bet a 1st round pick that he will in the pros

Comment

Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
                    He doesn't run between the tackles in college, so I'm not willing to bet a 1st round pick that he will in the pros
                    Good point.

All he runs at Oregon are sweeps to the outside. I'd like to see him run it out of a conventional I formation in between the tackles...or at least see if he can bounce it to the outside out of that formation.

Comment

Not sure that that matters with his big-play ability. But it is a valid point. I, myself would rather wait until the 2nd or 3rd and get Quizz Rodgers.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. Jaylon Smith 2. Artie Burns 3. Landon Turner

Comment

Am I the only one that has noticed that he is absolutely nothing special? He takes advantage of gaping running lanes in that offense, he has some decent wiggle, but he's not going to be more than a scatback in the NFL. And not even that good of a scatback. I'd take Noel Devine and DeMarco Murray over him without question.

Actually, legitimate question: assuming James and Barner are good NFL prospects (I don't think so, but some do), is anyone on that team a good prospect? Cliff Harris and Casey Matthews are the only two players on that team that impress me. And the other corner, Talmadge Jackson is all right. Other than that, I don't see any NFL futures. Am I forgetting anyone? It's amazing to me that they're as good as they are.
                        Last edited by ChiFan24; 12-04-2010, 06:40 PM.

Comment

He's a scat back and a product of a system but if someone takes that scat back and uses him in a decent system, like elements of what he did in college adapted for the pro game, he'll be very productive. If, for example, the 49ers use him like they use Gore, he'll suck even if it's 5, 10, or 20 carries.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

Use him in the Eric Metcalf/Reggie Bush type role or be dissapointed.

Would I take that at the top of the 2nd round? If I'm a team trying to get the final pieces in place for a championship, I'd certainly consider it.
                            Yup, agree with this.

Not a feature back in the NFL. Useful piece? Undoubtedly, but not worth it unless you're looking for a chunk instead of a piece.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

Huge fan of his as well. It's a shame that he has some issues and isn't a tremendous need, because he'd make a great replacement for Norwood.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information