Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin

I'm in the process of evaluating talent just now, so I'm a little behind the loop compared to a lot of you guys, so I'm curious....why is he rated so low?

When I watch him, I see Jake Long so far. The guy is big and strong, he's an unbelievable run blocker, he never gets bullrushed, he gets to the 2nd level in the run game, he always gets his hat on ya, he's just a big mean nasty run blocker.

When I look at his pass pro, his punch is good, he has quick feet, and he's able to use his strength to keep you away. He reminds me of Jake Long an awful lot.

So why such a low grade? Am I missing something? Do I need to see more games? He looked impressive vs some high profile DEs.

He's reminds me of Andre Smith too. The good Alabama Andre Smith. Not the fat lazy Bengal Andre Smith.

shhhh I want him to be a colt so bad
    Sam Bradford will be a bust- 2/24/2010

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock View Post
      shhhh I want him to be a colt so bad
      I highly doubt he becomes a Colt. They don't like big nasty run blockers. They want finnesse pass protectors.

Comment

Seriously though, I hear questions about his footwork. It looks pretty good to me. Questions about his lateral agility, again, he passes the eyeball test.

And players who try bullrushing him early find out the hard way that they can't bc he's so strong, then they just try to run around him and he's ready for it.

I don't see the "he's only a RT" talk. Not yet at least, I need to see more games, but so far, he's been a beast to me.

Comment

i havent posted much on gabe but i like him a lot from what ive seen also and could see him as being the guy that moves up boards into the top 10-15 talk when its all said and done. every year 1-2 tackles has that sort of climb.

Comment

I'm pessimistic that he goes too high, probably not higher than the 20s IMO, simply because almost every team will grade him as a right tackle and not a long term left tackle, and there are a lot of guys who can play left tackle that will be available (Smith, Sherrod, Costanzo, Solder, etc.). I wonder how high a team would take a guy who is only a right tackle in the NFL.

Comment

People are under valueing the position of right tackle. Last time I checked... the defensive player he is blocking can still sack the QB, and make the tackle in the run game. I don't care about the blind side arguement, if the RT gets destroyed off the snap it doesnt matter if the QB see's him, he's still getting sacked, and the running back is getting TFL.

Anyways, on to Carimi, I am on your side BBD, he looked dominant in the Rose Bowl. If the Cowboys traded down i'd love for them to snag him. Carimi and Free would be a boss tackle combo for the future.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                I'm in the process of evaluating talent just now, so I'm a little behind the loop compared to a lot of you guys, so I'm curious....why is he rated so low?

When I watch him, I see Jake Long so far. The guy is big and strong, he's an unbelievable run blocker, he never gets bullrushed, he gets to the 2nd level in the run game, he always gets his hat on ya, he's just a big mean nasty run blocker.

When I look at his pass pro, his punch is good, he has quick feet, and he's able to use his strength to keep you away. He reminds me of Jake Long an awful lot.

So why such a low grade? Am I missing something? Do I need to see more games? He looked impressive vs some high profile DEs.

He's reminds me of Andre Smith too. The good Alabama Andre Smith. Not the fat lazy Bengal Andre Smith.
                To respond to the bold, here's my opinion:

Similar to a lot of other guys, he struggled early in the year and people just wrote him off and started saying he was no longer in the first round mix. Ignore the fact that once he got into Big Ten play, he was easily the best offensive lineman in the conference. Ignore the fact that he shut down Kerrigan, Clayborn, Heyward, and Browne. He struggled early in the year, he's obviously terrible. Carimi is on my list of guys that were over-rated preseason but because of slow starts are now totally under-rated (Royster, Heyward, Solder, Castonzo, Von Miller, and Quan Sturdivant are also on my list although some of those guys are getting their due and moving back towards where their stock should be).

Now I'm not saying he has no knocks, he's stiffer than I'd like which causes him to struggle a bit with speed rushers and I'm not 100% sure he has that killer instinct/mean streak (85% sure though, definitely had it in Big Ten play) but overall I don't think he's nearly as bad as a lot of people lead you to believe and I think he's absolutely worthy of a first round pick.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

He's been a good prospect...it's just the Shiny New Toy Syndrome that hits during draft season...I like him better as a RT prospect but I see/hear alot of teams doing more strongside/weakside blocking than anything else these days...I think he'd make an excellent strongside blocker.

Also, as already stated the RT spot is underrated...I expect it's perceived value to fly up over the next 5 years...

Comment

I have no question that he will be a dominant RT, but my question is why is everyone writing him off at LT?

As was stated earlier, he dominated a lot of premier guys, and from my observations of him, I think he can do more than enough on the left side to hold it down in pass pro.

I just don't get why we're automatically writing him off as a RT. Is it bc he run blocks so well? Why can't he just do that on the left side? It's not like he's a terrible pass protector. He's more than capable of dropping back.

Comment

I was impressed how he did against Clayborn and Heyward. Where he may have trouble as a lot of big guys do is the quick speed rusher like a Brandon Graham while at Michigan. Let's face it this is the year for a good player to go higher than he probably should based on supply and demand.

Comment

Now that I think about it, Jake Long is a pretty good comparison for Carimi. Only difference is now that Jake Long has proved all the doubters wrong, and is one of the top 3 "elite" Tackles in the NFL-people may say he doesn't compare to Long, or is a "poor man's" Jake Long. The similarities are their however: Both from Big 10 Programs that ran Pro-Style Offenses, Bulldozing Run Blockers, Stout at the point, King Sized Prospects, Experienced, "have their doubters they can play NFL LT", the only thing is I think Long was more athletic as a whole (Pure Strength, Quickness, etc.). Should be interesting to see where Carimi Lands. I have him as a solid 1st rounder, but would not be surprised if he goes early 2nd.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMorningZoo View Post
                          Now that I think about it, Jake Long is a pretty good comparison for Carimi. Only difference is now that Jake Long has proved all the doubters wrong, and is one of the top 3 "elite" Tackles in the NFL-people may say he doesn't compare to Long, or is a "poor man's" Jake Long. The similarities are their however: Both from Big 10 Programs that ran Pro-Style Offenses, Bulldozing Run Blockers, Stout at the point, King Sized Prospects, Experienced, "have their doubters they can play NFL LT", the only thing is I think Long was more athletic as a whole (Pure Strength, Quickness, etc.). Should be interesting to see where Carimi Lands. I have him as a solid 1st rounder, but would not be surprised if he goes early 2nd.
                          agreed....i didnt realize how big carimi really was. i met jake long once he was one of the biggest guys ive ever seen, carimi is about 10 pounds heavier lol
                          E]

Comment

Originally posted by TheMorningZoo View Post
                            Yeah, I think people are forgetting how so many just assumed the same thing about Jake Long, how he was a RT in the pros.

Sometimes I think when we see a dominant run blocker, we just assume they're better off at RT bc they tend to be bigger stronger guys who aren't as quick on their feet. We've seen many examples though in the pros of guys who are less athletic than Carimi pan out at LT, and those guys aren't half as talented.

I really think we're selling this guy short, and I think if he gets his chance, he's going to develop as a beast of a LT. Especially if drafted by a team who runs the rock.

Jordan Gross is another comparison that comes to mind.

Comment

To be fair, I was one of the guys who wasn't sold on Long. I thought he was better off at RT myself.

But I learned my lesson. I see LT potential with Carimi. Remember when people said Trent Williams was a RT? Look at him now.

Carimi is being slept on.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information