Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Quality RB's More Abundant Than Ever?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Quality RB's More Abundant Than Ever?

This question crossed my mind today after watching James Starks run for big yards. I find myself wondering if fewer RBs should be taken with early picks, allowing teams to address other needs, and then find RBs later. It always has seemed to me that RB is a positioned saturated with good athletes, but now I wonder if that's more true than ever. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Halsey; 01-09-2011, 10:19 PM.

I've always thought of RB as more of a luxury. Unless there's an elite guy, building a good line that can create holes will make any running look good.
    Go Steelers!
    Go Vandals!

Comment

A smart GM wouldn't even think about taking a RB in the first round.

Good RBs are ridiculously easy to find elsewhere.

And while guys like AD and CJ2K are very, very good, and CAN'T be found late, they play a position that is simply not as important. Proof: Titans and Vikings (both teams success correlated with strong QB play - their RBs were always a constant).
      "I'm Ko Simpson!"

- Ko Simpson

Comment

I do think a team can be seriously hurt if it doesn't have enough quality RBs to play. The Saints and Colts are evidence of that. While RBs may be relatively easy to find, they have very important jobs. Having to use a guy who is a weak between the tackles runner or fumbles the ball too much can kill drives.

Comment

There are always guys worth taking 1st round. However, trading up or jumping on guys like Donald Brown or Beanie Wells is asinine. Now *those* guys can be bested by a James Starks in the 6th round.

Comment

Basically speaking, picking a RB with anything higher than a low second round pick is pretty foolish at this point, in this day and age when the passing game is paramount and reasonably talented RBs can be found everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Morton View Post
              Basically speaking, picking a RB with anything higher than a low second round pick is pretty foolish at this point, in this day and age when the passing game is paramount and reasonably talented RBs can be found everywhere.
              Brandon Jackson was a 2nd round pick yet the Packers had a completely ineffective run game this year which made them lose games they shouldn't have.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
              http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
              Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
              http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
                I do think a team can be seriously hurt if it doesn't have enough quality RBs to play. The Saints and Colts are evidence of that. While RBs may be relatively easy to find, they have very important jobs. Having to use a guy who is a weak between the tackles runner or fumbles the ball too much can kill drives.
                Saints and Colts did fine with anyone at RB... when they could run block.
                Originally posted by SNIPER26
                fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

If I was a GM, the earliest I would draft a RB would be the 3rd round. It is by far the easiest position to find good players.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
                    Brandon Jackson was a 2nd round pick yet the Packers had a completely ineffective run game this year which made them lose games they shouldn't have.
                    Grant was undrafted, had a lot of success. Jackson was a second round pick, didn't really have success. Then Starks, a 6th round pick, has success.

Not sure where you were trying to go with that.
                    Last edited by GB12; 01-09-2011, 10:59 PM.

Comment

It's the easiest transition in the NFL. Guys like Peyton Hillis, Arian Foster, Jamaal Charles, Michael Turner, BenJarvus Green-Ellis, and Ahmad Bradshaw were all drafted in Rounds 3-7 or undrafted.

Ryan Torain, Michael Bush, and LeGarrette Blount have made names for themselves as well.
                      Check out my NFL Draft work at http://nflsoup.com

Follow me on Twitter @NFLSoupKeet

Comment

Originally posted by GB12 View Post
                        Grant was undrafted, had a lot of success. Jackson was a second round pick, didn't really have success. Then Starks, another undrafted player, has success.

Not sure where you were trying to go with that.
                        Starks actually was drafted in the 6th round, pick #193.

sig by BK and avy by me
                        Originally posted by A Perfect Score
                        If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.

Comment

Originally posted by DaBrowns41 View Post
                          It's the easiest transition in the NFL. Guys like Peyton Hillis, Arian Foster, Jamaal Charles, Michael Turner, BenJarvus Green-Ellis, and Ahmad Bradshaw were all drafted in Rounds 3-7 or undrafted.

Ryan Torain, Michael Bush, and LeGarrette Blount have made names for themselves as well.
                          Don't forget about Benjarvus Green-Smith-Thomas-Clementine-Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
                            Don't forget about Benjarvus Green-Smith-Thomas-Clementine-Ellis
                            I listed him in there. :D

Aka The Law Firm.
                            Check out my NFL Draft work at http://nflsoup.com

Follow me on Twitter @NFLSoupKeet

Comment

Originally posted by DaBrowns41 View Post
                              I listed him in there. :D

Aka The Law Firm.
                              Wow, how did I miss that...

Comment

Working...
                              X