Mark Herzlich - 4-3 or 3-4? Thoughts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Herzlich - 4-3 or 3-4? Thoughts?

Before his illness he was considered to be a sure fire NFL talent but anymore he seems to have fallen off the radar. Where do you guys see him going round wise and can be be both 43 and 34 or just one of them?

2011 FA: FS - OJ Atogwe
    2011 Draft Picks: Ryan Kerrigan-OLB-Purdue, Jarvis Jenkins-DE-Clemson, Leonard Hankerson-WR-Miami, Roy Helu-RB-Nebraska, DeJon Gomes-CB/S-Nebraska, Niles Paul-WR-Nebraska, Evan Royster-RB-Penn State, Aldrick Robinson-WR-SMU, Brandyn Thompson-CB-Boise State, Maurice Hurt-OG-Florida, Markus White-OLB-Florida State, Chris Neild-NT-West Virginia

myself i see him as a 4-3 MLB or WLB exclusively. as of the moment i do not believe he can be ILB in 3-4 because he has lost a lot of strength getting over this illness. that being said he does have instincts and passion to make it in a 4-3

Comment

I think he can pull off either..makes a lot of plays in coverage and can rush the passer so 3-4 seems possible. I think he'll go in the 2nd round.

Comment

I'd love him in Chicago at the SAM.
        I want a sig.

Comment

He's probably an ILB in a 3-4 and a SAM in certain 4-3 schemes. He's looked a lot better down the stretch but he's lost a step since the illness and needs to continue to work to get it back. Amazing story and easily one of the best stories we've seen out of college football in years. Should be a stud for an NFL team that brings him along slowly as there's probably one more year left in his recovery process.

Sort of relevant example, although a different sport; It took Jon Lester of the Boston Red Sox a couple years to get back to full strength physically after his battle with lymphoma and receiving chemotherapy. That's a far less serious thing than the Ewing's Sarcoma Herzlich had to deal with, which was in his legs. That explains the loss of speed and strength completely. It will be another half a year at least before he is completely up to speed in all likelihood.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

I think he can play OLB in the 34 if he can regain his athleticism. His pass rush technique is good enough and his coverage ability is great.

edit: If teams let him fall to the bottom of the 3rd round and the Patriots take him, they will regret it. He will eventually have his athleticism back and he's a smart football player who will basically get a season or two to develop under one of the best defensive coaches in the NFL.

edit2: I know it's uncommon, but 43 OLBs in college can play 34 OLB in the pros. You have to be a good pass rusher, be able to hold the edge in the running game, and cover to fit that teams scheme.
            Last edited by descendency; 01-10-2011, 12:33 AM.
            **** her in da *****!

Comment

Originally posted by cajuncorey View Post
              myself i see him as a 4-3 MLB or WLB exclusively. as of the moment i do not believe he can be ILB in 3-4 because he has lost a lot of strength getting over this illness. that being said he does have instincts and passion to make it in a 4-3
              I see him as a 4-3 WLB. Maybe a team in the NFC South with bite on him.
              "He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Elway's take on Lambert

Comment

I go back and forth on Herzlich. On one hand you would hate to count the guy out at any position he was drafted for, but on the other hand being concerned about him regaining his pre-cancer form is a legit concern. He is solid when dropping into coverage (albeit he gets by more on raw athleticism than fluidity or technique) and he has a great nose for the ball. He has an incredible motor and I think it's pretty obvious how driven an individual he is. He still likes kind of stiff to me though in coverage and he gets too tall when taking on Olinemen so I have trouble seeing him as a 34 OLB or Sam LB in a 43. I think he and Karlos Dansby have a lot of similarities in their game and I could see Herzlich being very successful as a 34 ILB. I also see a little Stewart Bradley in him and I think he could be successful as a MLB for a 43 team that blitzes a lot (like Philly or NYG or St Louis). Not saying he will or should go to those teams, but I think he would be very successful in that kind of scheme.

Like I said though, it's hard to count the guy out of playing any position. He's a very unique specimen.

Comment

BC fan here...

He's better out in space than in a box, which is why I say no to 34 ILB. When BC ran a hybrid 34 with Raji and Brace, he was an OLB in that scheme. He's not a good enough pass rusher to play that in the NFL though.

To me, he's a Brian Cushing type of guy who might be able to fit somewhere in a 34, but is better off as a 43 Will.

Comment

He is a guy who has a lot of size and versatility, his athleticism is coming back too. Herzy is outstanding in pass coverage and can also get to the quarterback. I like him a Mike Vrable role in the 3-4, he can be moved around a lot between the inside and outside and has the ability to do a lot for that kind of defense.

Comment

He's got above average size and his greatest strength as an LB might be his coverage. That makes him as an ideal fit as a SAM backer in a 4-3. I don't really see him as a WLB or a MLB though he certainly could play ILB if drafted by a 3-4 team.

Comment

He could play anywhere in a 4-3, and he could play ILB or a Mike Vrabel role in a 3-4. Bottom line is that he's a guy that will be on the field for 100% of the snaps.

Comment

What round would he go? I'm thinking 4th. Is that way off?

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                            What round would he go? I'm thinking 4th. Is that way off?
                            If he checks out medically, probably. Depending on where he's at in his recovery and where teams assess his likelihood to contribute early, I think he's more of a 2nd-3rd round guy. Thats assuming everything is good and he's on his way back to where he was before the cancer. If teams are worried, I can see him going in the 4th. Either way, he's going to be a steal. I think if he essentially redshirts a season and spends a year in an NFL S&C program, he will be a damn good starter down the road for a team willing to wait.
                            Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                            The APS is strong in this one.
                            Originally posted by killxswitch
                            Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

he probably goes a lot higher than most expect if he checks out

iirc he was projected high round 1 before the cancer. some team who had that opinion will reach late round 2 imo

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information