Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayock's First Thoughts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mayock's First Thoughts

    Also includes the ever-present "anonymous scout" http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...aft/index.html

    Doesn't sound like he's had a lot of time to look at game tape yet (expected with all his announcing work) but he's another guy who likes Gabbert. Also really likes Dalton. Other than that, he doesn't seem to put many strong opinions out there.

    The scout says some interesting things: Comparing Locker to Alex Smith, invoking JaMarcus' name with Newton, etc

  • #2
    Pretty much exactly where I am with everything. Some good points. Thanks for posting.

    -Weak class overall.
    -Top picks more likely to be traded.
    -QBs are a crazy, crazy, discussion with a million different opinions for each guy.
    -Dalton's very good.
    -Fairley's very good.
    "I'm Ko Simpson!"

    - Ko Simpson

    Comment


    • #3
      I know the character and experience issues but has Cam ever had issues about work ethic and motivation? As far as I can see he is a fierce competitor. He could be a bust but I don't know why Jamarcus's recent bust factor would have any weight on Cam. Jamarcus was a failure more because of being lazy and out of shape than anything else. I don't think Cam shares any of those traits. If anything if you want to compare Cam to a bust QB it would be Alex Smith because they both came from Spread's, had limited experience, and were more tools than experience at that point.

      I agree with Mayock on Dalton being underrated although he shouldn't go any time before the first 90 or so picks. Also another guy who loves Gabbert and probably projects him top 10, but honestly I don't see it. He might be tall like Big Ben and Freeman but his tools are no where close. I still view him as an early 2nd round prospect but all signs point to him being the #1 QB taken. I agree with Mayock that I'd grade Fairley better than McCoy but behind Suh.

      Sig By:The Dynasty

      2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
      http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
      Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
      http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
        I agree with Mayock on Dalton being underrated although he shouldn't go any time before the first 90 or so picks. Also another guy who loves Gabbert and probably projects him top 10, but honestly I don't see it. He might be tall like Big Ben and Freeman but his tools are no where close. I still view him as an early 2nd round prospect but all signs point to him being the #1 QB taken.
        I can see the comparison to Freeman more than Big Ben. Big Ben was a much much more refined passer coming out of school. Freeman had some accuracy concerns his last year in school which is what dropped him really into the mid first range.

        Comment


        • #5
          I'll say it again, Andy Dalton - the best QB in this class.
          FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER

          Comment


          • #6
            From what I've watched of Gabbert his arm very much compares favorably to Freeman/Ben. The way he holds the ball and extends plays is reminiscent of Roethlisberger too. But, he's very scatterbrained under pressure. I really see why guys like him and I think too many people are dismissing him just because his numbers don't look good playing in the spread (it really is a poor fit for his talents) but I just have a hard time getting on the bandwagon of a QB who doesn't have good pocket instincts

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Dirty Thirty View Post
              I can see the comparison to Freeman more than Big Ben. Big Ben was a much much more refined passer coming out of school. Freeman had some accuracy concerns his last year in school which is what dropped him really into the mid first range.
              Freeman didn't have accuracy issues at K-State. He had no WRs who dropped a lot of passes.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by bucfan12 View Post
                Freeman didn't have accuracy issues at K-State. He had no WRs who dropped a lot of passes.
                dude dont get all touchy. i am a big freeman fan now but he definitely had accuracy questions coming out.

                A few draft profiles of Freeman:

                "Weaknesses: Accuracy was abysmal in junior year ... Locks on to receivers and shows below-average field vision ... Wildly inconsistent; runs hot and cold"

                "Weaknesses: Freeman is going to need some time to work on his game. He is raw as a passer, and gets by on his natural gifts right now. His accuracy and mechanics are erratic, and he is too confident in his arm. He thinks he can fit the ball into any spot, and he needs to make better decisions on the field."

                "Negatives: Inconsistent accuracy from the pocket and throwing on the run. Needs to anticipate down field throws better, sometimes getting the ball to his receiver a second early or late. Prone to turnovers, makes poor decisions trying to make plays that aren't there."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
                  I know the character and experience issues but has Cam ever had issues about work ethic and motivation? As far as I can see he is a fierce competitor. He could be a bust but I don't know why Jamarcus's recent bust factor would have any weight on Cam. Jamarcus was a failure more because of being lazy and out of shape than anything else. I don't think Cam shares any of those traits. If anything if you want to compare Cam to a bust QB it would be Alex Smith because they both came from Spread's, had limited experience, and were more tools than experience at that point.
                  I found this was the case with Dez Bryant last year. As soon as people hear "character concerns" they automatically clump together all character issues on top of a guy. Many people were questioning Dez's work ethic and desire when there was no indication that he was lacking either. Like Dez, Cam's character has been called into question because an isolated incident. From what I've read, he studies other top QB's (like Brady, Manning and even Luck), he spends a lot of time in the film room with Gus Malzhan and is one of Auburn's most impressive players in the weight room. Like you mentioned, he is a fierce competitor and we can see his passion for the game every Saturday afternoon. I'm not around the Auburn football team so I can't say this for sure, but there's no indication that his work ethic or motivation is an issue at all.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by TACKLE View Post
                    I found this was the case with Dez Bryant last year. As soon as people hear "character concerns" they automatically clump together all character issues on top of a guy. Many people were questioning Dez's work ethic and desire when there was no indication that he was lacking either. Like Dez, Cam's character has been called into question because an isolated incident. From what I've read, he studies other top QB's (like Brady, Manning and even Luck), he spends a lot of time in the film room with Gus Malzhan and is one of Auburn's most impressive players in the weight room. Like you mentioned, he is a fierce competitor and we can see his passion for the game every Saturday afternoon. I'm not around the Auburn football team so I can't say this for sure, but there's no indication that his work ethic or motivation is an issue at all.
                    Dez Bryant's questions relating to his work ethic arose when he did stuff like forgetting his cleats to the most important of his football life and it was not an unfair question to ask.

                    I also do not understand where people believe this is a weak class. There are some weak positions like in any class, but the draft has a ton to offer and will have good talent available in all seven rounds.

                    Also, the idea that Cam's character is over one isolated incident is laughable. There are three different 'incidents' and one took place three different times. If you choose to ignore them, that is up to you, but they are there.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Dirty Thirty View Post
                      dude dont get all touchy. i am a big freeman fan now but he definitely had accuracy questions coming out.

                      A few draft profiles of Freeman:

                      "Weaknesses: Accuracy was abysmal in junior year ... Locks on to receivers and shows below-average field vision ... Wildly inconsistent; runs hot and cold"

                      "Weaknesses: Freeman is going to need some time to work on his game. He is raw as a passer, and gets by on his natural gifts right now. His accuracy and mechanics are erratic, and he is too confident in his arm. He thinks he can fit the ball into any spot, and he needs to make better decisions on the field."

                      "Negatives: Inconsistent accuracy from the pocket and throwing on the run. Needs to anticipate down field throws better, sometimes getting the ball to his receiver a second early or late. Prone to turnovers, makes poor decisions trying to make plays that aren't there."
                      Haha I didn't mean to be ignorant or anything but I watched him a lot actually during his 2008 season at K-State. WRs dropped lots of catchable balls and I think most scouts just looked at the stats not the film. I remember one scouting report said if he had Sanchez's talent at USC, he would have been the top pick in the draft.

                      Not to get off subject, but I am glad scouts didn't like him, besides Tampa.

                      Anyways, I do agree with Mayock. It might be risky to take a QB early, but reports on Gabbert is that he also didn't have much offensive talent to work with this season, similar to Freeman in his Jr Year at K-State. At first, I didn't like him, but he's starting to grow on me as I am reading he put the Missouri offense on his back the whole season. I think he might be the only QB worth a 1st round grade. Apparently, the Advisory Board gave him a Mid 1st round grade, which means a QB needy team will take him in the top 7.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
                        Dez Bryant's questions relating to his work ethic arose when he did stuff like forgetting his cleats to the most important of his football life and it was not an unfair question to ask.

                        I also do not understand where people believe this is a weak class. There are some weak positions like in any class, but the draft has a ton to offer and will have good talent available in all seven rounds.

                        Also, the idea that Cam's character is over one isolated incident is laughable. There are three different 'incidents' and one took place three different times. If you choose to ignore them, that is up to you, but they are there.
                        The whole "weak" class argument seems directly stemmed to Luck staying in school. I for one am quite pumped up for this draft and 2012 is in the back of my mind.

                        #4 Duke Blue Devils (4-1)
                        2010 & 2015 National Champions!!!
                        2015 2K Classic Champions


                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cESr9VWpZc0
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO4iMIahsAs

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I still don't see the love for Gabbert .

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by JRTPlaya21 View Post
                            The whole "weak" class argument seems directly stemmed to Luck staying in school. I for one am quite pumped up for this draft and 2012 is in the back of my mind.
                            Dearth of quality safeties, ILBs.

                            No real franchise LT prospects.

                            Shallow TE class.

                            Pass rusher isn't that deep.

                            Weak senior class overall (especially at RB and WR).

                            And two of the best underclassmen prospects staying (Luck, Blackmon) doesn't help.

                            All QBs have at least one GLARING flaws.
                            "I'm Ko Simpson!"

                            - Ko Simpson

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Tebowfan85 View Post
                              I still don't see the love for Gabbert .
                              He's big, he's mobile, he put up numbers, and he's got a big arm. Those are the nice things I can say about him and those reasons will likely take him off the board in the First Round. I can't say that I see anything special, either, however. In a weak QB class with no clear-cut #1 there are going to be people that like him most.

                              big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                              - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                              www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information