Kelvin Sheppard LB LSU

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelvin Sheppard LB LSU

Where is this guys stock at right now? I've seen some sites projecting him as a 4th round pick and some a 2nd-3rd round pick. He seemed like a 3rd round pick to me before the Senior Bowl but does anyone see him being one of the first ILB's off the board? The Bills really need a 3-4 ILB and they coached him at the Senior Bowl. I could see them taking him in the early 2nd ala Torrell Troup last year, even though he may be available in the 3rd (like Troup) because he fills such a huge need.
    Last edited by Captain Canuck; 02-02-2011, 11:31 AM.

I think his stock is in the late second to third round myself, and where I have him right now, most likely the third. Coming to the senior bowl at 250 lbs will help him, although watching him this year (Im a LSU fan who watches every game), it looked like he played in the 230's during the season. He was the smartest player defensively I have ever seen at LSU. A leader who can call and change the defense at the pro-level IMO, good side line to side line agility and scraping ability, good instincts, but more of a reactor who will let the play come to him instead of attacking it, if that makes sense. Calling the defense at the senior bowl will help him. The fourth round projections seem to be the dated ones, most of the updates have him in the 3rd that I have seen, but I could still see hm falling into the fourth, although not past it.
    As for the Bills, he and Poz would be an incredibly heady duo, although most Bills fans think Poz does not "make plays" in which case you will not like Sheppard either. Being 250 lbs will help him with Buffalo in respect to the comments Nix made about getting bigger at LB to help stop the run. I like the Troup comparison, although I think there will be better players available in the second, Martez Wilson for instance. I would not be opposed at all to taking Sheppard in third, but the second pick in the second round is too high for my tastes.
    "It must be contract year!"

Deion Sanders

Comment

How is his coverage?

Comment

Originally posted by thegreatone View Post
        How is his coverage?
        Personally I think he is a really smart zone defender, excelling in that aspect with his recognition skills, but one on one with backs and athletic TE's in man coverage he struggles (although he has improved over the coarse of his career, I cant see him getting significantly better in man coverage as a pro), mainly due to his above average athleticism, and stiff hips. If you are looking for a athletic man to man ILB in pass coverage he is not your man. I look at him like a less athletic/physical Ray Lewis coming out of college, just as smart (if not smarter) and in tune to the game, but clearly not as athletic, nor as physical.
        Last edited by Poz51; 02-03-2011, 06:27 PM.
        "It must be contract year!"

Deion Sanders

Comment

LSU defensive coordinator John Chavis said, "Kelvin Sheppard is the best and most instinctive linebacker I have ever coached."

I have him as a mid 3rd round to early 4th round pick at the moment.

Comment

Mid 2nd...maybe slightly earlier...really good LB prospect....maybe if something goes wrong he goes in the 3rd....a 3-4 team looking for an ILB is going to fall in love.

Comment

One of the top 3-4 ILB's in this draft. If the Steelers draft one, i hope its this kid!

Comment

Originally posted by Jakey View Post
                One of the top 3-4 ILB's in this draft. If the Steelers draft one, i hope its this kid!
                Ugh...he'd be perfect to replace Farrior if this is the year that happens...I hope it doesn't happen but it could make some sense.

Comment

Originally posted by SenorGato View Post
                  Ugh...he'd be perfect to replace Farrior if this is the year that happens...I hope it doesn't happen but it could make some sense.
                  I could also see the Jets giving him a serious look if they wont resign Harris.

Comment

So the Bills at the top of the 2nd could be a possibility? I think it will depend whether or not Martez Wilson is available or not and who the Bills like better. Wilson might have more potential but seems to be far from a sure thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Canuck View Post
                      So the Bills at the top of the 2nd could be a possibility? I think it will depend whether or not Martez Wilson is available or not and who the Bills like better. Wilson might have more potential but seems to be far from a sure thing.
                      I got the Bills taking him at the begining of round 3, I can also see a team like the Giants, Denver, Washington, Chargers take a look at him between rounds 2-3 I do think he has become the #2 MLB behind Martez
                      Patriots Draft 2015
                      1. CB - Marcus Peters
                      2. WR - Sammie Coates
                      3. RB - David Johnson
                      3. DT - Angelo Blackson
                      4. OG - Tre Jackson
                      4. DE - Za'Darius Smith
                      5. LB - Ben Heeney
                      6. TE - Wes Saxton
                      7. OG - Jose Matais

Comment

The Bills do have an extra 4th, so they could use their 3rd and a 4th to try to move back up into the 2nd. That's easier said than done though.

Comment

Steelers gonna snatch him up this year watch out.

Comment

All this is crazy talk. Saints are going to draft him at the ass end of the 2nd round. He would be a good 4-3 WLB as well as 3-4.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                            WHO DAT!

Comment

Originally posted by Poz51 View Post
                              Personally I think he is a really smart zone defender, excelling in that aspect with his recognition skills, but one on one with backs and athletic TE's in man coverage he struggles (although he has improved over the coarse of his career, I can see him getting significantly better in man coverage as a pro), mainly due to his above average athleticism, and stiff hips. If you are looking for a athletic man to man ILB in pass coverage he is not your man. I look at him like a less athletic/physical Ray Lewis coming out of college, just as smart (if not smarter) and in tune to the game, but clearly not as athletic, nor as physical.
                              That is gigantic praise considering Ray Lewis might be the best MLB in NFL history.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information