Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dontay Moch, DE / OLB, Nevada

What are your thoughts on him?

I think someone is gonna get a helluva steal in round 3 or 4....

...Might jump up into round 2 if he runs as fast as people are thinking he might.

Originally posted by 49erNation85
    I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.

Comment

Al Davis will take him with his first pick.

Comment

Such a great pass rusher. He can be a beast in a 3-4 but has a ton of work to do as far as coverage. He flat out needs to be developed.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
        WHO DAT!

Comment

Originally posted by thegreatone View Post
          Al Davis will take him with his first pick.
          His "first pick" is the 49th overall, so that's not totally ridiculous to believe.

However, I wonder where everyone comes off thinking he's even a good pass rusher. I saw him against BC in the Emerald Nuts/Kraft "Feed People" Humanitarian Bowl and I wasn't impressed.
          **** her in da *****!

Comment

Originally posted by descendency View Post
            His "first pick" is the 49th overall, so that's not totally ridiculous to believe.

However, I wonder where everyone comes off thinking he's even a good pass rusher. I saw him against BC in the Emerald Nuts/Kraft "Feed People" Humanitarian Bowl and I wasn't impressed.
            You must've been watching the wrong guy then. They lined Moch up all over the place, even put him behind the NT in a 3-4 (and in those two plays he absolutely blew over and by the OG to get instant pressure on the QB). On one of the few times he went directly over Costanzo, he bullrushed him right into the lap of the QB where he reached out with his left hand and made contact with the QB (but got no sack). I thought he showed a tremendous ability to use leverage and generate power and push in addition to his fantastic speed.

At the East-West game, however, I really didn't think he played particularly well. Playing directly over the TE as the Sam in the 4-3, he repeatedly got pinned inside (as did LDE Ricky Elmore) by the TE and did not contain the outside run. I was very surprised by this as OGs and OTs were often not powerful enough to block him and a TE did it several times. He didn't look lost in coverage and made an outstanding tackle in the openfield (and showed great hustle and speed on the play) on a player (it may have been QB Ricky Dobbs... though it could have been an RB out of the backfield, I don't remember, it was in the left flat).

Comment

I don't think people would think much of him if he didn't have the ridiculous 4.25 40 rumor. I don't see much from him other than athleticism. He needs to grow alot as a "football player". Just my $0.02.

Comment

Originally posted by phlysac View Post
                I don't think people would think much of him if he didn't have the ridiculous 4.25 40 rumor. I don't see much from him other than athleticism. He needs to grow alot as a "football player". Just my $0.02.
                I don't necessarily think that's true. He has some solid pass rushing moves some spins and rips, the thing I love about him is his burst to the ballcarrier is insane. I'm actually extremely interested in how he tests out in agility drills. For as great as his straight line speed and quick burst ability are, I question his lateral movement sideline to sideline. He doesn't appear to have great hips. He also needs to get a ton stronger. I wouldn't find it shocking though for a team in the 2nd round to take him as a project. Because of that burst I like him more than Aaron Maybin who simply just ran around people. That burst is something that will actually translate to the NFL level.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
                http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
                Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
                http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

Originally posted by descendency View Post

Thats why I didn't say his first round pick, but that's still a reach imo.

Comment

His speed is legitimate. Maybe not 4.25, but he is surely in a class of his own as far as straight line speed amongst DEs.

But, he is not explosive at all. Watching his game film, if he can't run by somebody, he is invisible. I don't think DE is his position, DE is a position where explosiveness wins, and he has none.

He's an interesting prospect, but if he has success, I think it will at another position. If he has any brain, he could be an interesting prospect as a downhill linebacker. He could redefine the notion of sideline to sideline MLB. But I don't see him having success in the NFL where OTs salivate over the thought of a DE who likes to run in circles.

Comment

He'll run in the mid 4.5s and we'll all lose our boners.

Comment

What's ridiculous is that people are downplaying him because of the alleged 4.25. It's the same thing with white RBs, black QBs, and now we have people that hate on prospects because they are allaged to run really fast. Whether you guys believe he can run or not is irrelevant... the guy's tape is very good. He is very strong for 229 and has a great burst and shows great power in hs bullrush.

Comment

I like him, but he's a project. I'm curious as to how much of his supposed great timed speed just comes down to the fact that he has really good technique in the 40 yard dash (kid was a state champion sprinter in high school). I think "proper technique" is definitely underrated in terms of how it affects a player's 40 time, which explains why it definitely doesn't necessarily translate to how a guy plays since nobody uses sprinting technique to run in a straight line in the NFL. But in the combine, bad or good technique can definitely turn a 4.4 guy in to a 4.5 guy or a 4.3 guy.

Still, Moch plays fast. Not always well, but fast.

Comment

I think Moch is a decent developmental player. He is going to take time to adjust to linebacker as he learns the position - he needs to learn how to read plays, learn the various coverage schemes and develop instincts that will come with increased reps. He is probably going to need a red-shirt year, mostly playing special teams.

I am not entirely convinced Moch is a good option as a 3-4 OLB at this point, I think he is probably a little small and probably not physical enough at the moment.

Moch's best position may be as a 4-3 OLB (possibly WLB), but he may also need the right system to succeed as well as time to develop.

As far as speed goes, he is quick, but I don't expect a 4.25, I expect more of a low 4.4s (which is plenty fast enough).
                            Last edited by Big_Pete; 02-20-2011, 10:25 PM.

Comment

im trying to figure out why moch is not getting his respect. a linebacker with super production and super measurables is something teams want right?

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information