Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merril Hoge Nails Gabbert Evaluation

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6246408

How is it that this guy is the only one to notice that Gabbert's pocket awareness and movement in the pocket is quite honestly the absolute worst displayed by a supposed "elite" QB prospect in YEARS? I just dont get it...watch any tape, it is so obvious...yet for such a huge flaw it appears to constantly get overlooked.

Gabbert continually panics in the pocket and bails. He will routinely feel pressure that flat out isn't there which results in him looking like a chicken with it's head cut off. He rarely steps into the pocket; and as nailed by Hoge, the run towards the sideline is a pure signature move by him any time his guy isn't open.

There has been a lot of banter about what makes top QB draftees bust. To me; a guy who panics in the pocket is absolutely toast in the NFL. Gabbert simply does not look comfortable, at all. This is a much much bigger flaw than Newton's mechanics and footwork working from a 3, 5, 7 step drop. That is easily correctable (and is something that was largely improved from Newton's Combine to Pro Day). Trying to teach a guy to instinctively "feel" what is happening around him and act level-headily is something that is more or less un-coachable. The scary thing is that the game on the NFL level gets faster, not slower. As a Bills fan both Losman and Edwards succumbed to a complete inability to deal with defenders running around them. There isn't a single elite QB in the NFL who struggles with pocket awareness. This should be a red-flag the size of Texas, yet somehow not only has it rarely been brought up as a serious flaw; Gabbert's "stock" is actually supposedly rising. It is really mind boggling...I've been waiting since Gabbert declared for someone to say "uhh...this kid looks really awkward moving around the pocket", and it seems like Hoge may be the only sane "evaluator" out there.

The game-losing interception against Iowa is a picture perfect example of this. Game on the line; Gabbert has great protection...his primary target isn't there...he panics and bolts to the sideline then proceeds to throw one of the worst passes in recent memory right at an Iowa defender.

When has Gabbert ever been considered Elite?

Comment

Originally posted by dannyz View Post
      I dont know; since it seems like everyone is starting to jump on board for him to go #1 overall?

Comment

Originally posted by dannyz View Post
        Maybe elite isn't the right word. Try replacing "elite" with "top".

Bonekrusher.

Originally posted by JordanTaber
        Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

Comment

If Gabbert turns into a spectacular bust like Heath Shuler, there are 'professional' draft analysts on cable who are going to be hard pressed to give an explanation as to how they missed so badly on him.

Gabbert looks scared in the pocket if he's not in rhythm throwing the football, and the slightest movement towards the LOS by a blitzing defender makes him lose his mind.

That Iowa blitzer was picked up clean on the youtube clip posted in this thread, yet Gabbert trucked out of there like 15 guys were coming clean!!

If a QB can't handle the presence of pressure, real or perceived, from within the pocket, he can't play in the NFL.

Gabbert looks like a guy who's been sacked 60 times a year at Mizzou.

If he goes to the Panthers, who couldn't protect Clausen, he's almost guaranteed to bust big-time.

Comment

Hoge likes Gabbert enough to take him late first, early 2nd. He obviously thinks Gabbert has a chance to be a good NFL starter. The Panthers don't have the option of taking a perfect QB prospect, but without a QB they will be boring and irrelevant.

Comment

All of this year's top quarterbacks have warts, Gabbert just has far fewer than the others.
              Scott Wright, President
              Draft Countdown.com
              www.draftcountdown.com

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
              www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Wright View Post
                All of this year's top quarterbacks have warts, Gabbert just has far fewer than the others.
                I don't see any QB potentially in next year's Draft, other than Luck, who strikes me as a sure bet to be a better prospect than Gabbert. You? I expect Barkley to be rated higher, but am not completely convinced. Everyone else in college has major questions too.

Comment

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
                  I don't see any QB potentially in next year's Draft, other than Luck, who strikes me as a sure bet to be a better prospect than Gabbert. You? I expect Barkley to be rated higher, but am not completely convinced. Everyone else in college has major questions too.
                  At this point I agree. That is why everyone expected Gabbert to be the favorite to go #1 overall in the 2012 NFL Draft had he gone back to school and Luck come out this year. I am not sold on USC's Matt Barkley as Top 10 material yet but I am intrigued by Oklahoma's Landry Jones.
                  Scott Wright, President
                  Draft Countdown.com
                  www.draftcountdown.com

Comment

The point was about the number of flaws. It was about the importance of the flaws. Could you expand on why Gabbert's tendency to freak the **** out at any sign of pressure is less of a flaw than a mechanical flaw in the throwing motion, for example?

Bonekrusher.

Originally posted by JordanTaber
                    Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.

Comment

Originally posted by prock View Post
                      The point was about the number of flaws. It was about the importance of the flaws. Could you expand on why Gabbert's tendency to freak the **** out at any sign of pressure is less of a flaw than a mechanical flaw in the throwing motion, for example?
                      Well, most quarterbacks (especially young ones) tend to struggle with pressure. Nobody likes defensive monsters bearing down on them or hanging out around their feet and knees. With that said, I don't know Gabbert has nearly as much of an issue with this as Ryan Mallett does. In fact, I've seen tape where Gabbert displays some Roethlisberger-esque qualities in the pocket under duress. I think with additional experience Gabbert will learn to handle it better and his issues aren't for a lack of toughness or guts because he has those in spades.
                      Scott Wright, President
                      Draft Countdown.com
                      www.draftcountdown.com

Comment

All of this year's top quarterbacks have warts, people in the media just don't talk about Gabbert's.
                        Fixed it for you.

Comment

Hoge likes Gabbert enough to take him late first, early 2nd. He obviously thinks Gabbert has a chance to be a good NFL starter. The Panthers don't have the option of taking a perfect QB prospect, but without a QB they will be boring and irrelevant.
                          This to me is the biggest flaw in Carolina's thinking...or "supposed" thinking I guess since the selection hasn't been made yet. Yes, QB is a huge need for them, but they've also got a ton of other needs as well. Just because you need a QB doesn't mean you should take one if there's a better prospect at another position.

Rome wasn't built in a day and the Panthers aren't going to be competing for a Super Bowl anytime soon, so why not show a little patience in the process and opt to take somebody on the other side of the ball to improve their defence and look to take a developmental QB later in the draft? Or, try and sign a veteran QB that can serve as a stop-gap solution until you can get that franchise guy.

It almost seems like the Panthers are "settling" for either Gabbert or Newton instead of actually believing that either of them could be the franchise QB they're lacking. As soon as Luck chose to stay at Stanford, that was the day that they should have looked at another position. With the #1 pick in the draft, you take as close to a sure thing as you can, not a question mark who needs to be developed like crazy.

If anything, A.J. Green should be an option so that when they finally do land that franchise QB, he's already got an elite weapon to work with. Dareus or Peterson would do wonders for that team too. I just don't get why Carolina is walking down this path when there are way more options out there that might be a safer and less risky option.

(Of course they could still shock the world and not choose a QB at 1, but that's looking unlikely).

Comment

If you don't have a QB it doesn't matter if you get a stud WR or stud CB or whatever. You have to have a QB. That cannot be overstated. Miami passed on a QB to take a 'stud LT' a couple of years ago. How's that working out? Carolina should think long and hard about passing up a chance to take the top QB in the Draft.

Comment

If you don't have a QB it doesn't matter if you get a stud WR or stud CB or whatever. You have to have a QB. That cannot be overstated. Miami passed on a QB to take a 'stud LT' a couple of years ago. How's that working out? Carolina should think long and hard about passing up a chance to take the top QB in the Draft.
                              My Thoughts Exactly.

Without a quarterback, nothing else matters.
                              Scott Wright, President
                              Draft Countdown.com
                              www.draftcountdown.com

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information