Is Mike Adams a Top 20 Overall Pick?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Mike Adams a Top 20 Overall Pick?

During the Senior Bowl week I was impressed with his size and movement ability, but I thought he was a little inconsistent in drills.

After watching the game all I saw was him DOMINATE Melvin Ingram, Courtney Upshaw and Quentin Coples.

Is Mike Adams a LT?

Is he a top 20 pick?

I absolutely think he's a top 20 pick and I think he can play either tackle spot. He is going to be dominant.

Originally posted by fenikz
    His soft D really turns me off
    ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

I'd take him over Jonathan Martin and Riley Reiff.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperPacker View Post
        I'd take him over Jonathan Martin and Riley Reiff.
        I would too. I don't love the OT to KC talk, as it has been going on for YEARS, but I'd take Mike Adams in a second, even at 11/12.

Originally posted by fenikz
        His soft D really turns me off
        ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

Adams was a Top 15 pick BEFORE the Combine. I've been saying this all week. I don't know why it has taken others to come around to a dominating left tackle with excellent physical tools. Did people just ignore him because he missed games this season?

All that happened this week was that Mike Adams reinforced how dominant of a force he can be, and locked up a top 15 selection. Honestly, it's kind of sad how blind most people were that they didn't see the obvious talent this guy had before this week. I seriously question whether or not at least 75% of the people that say they watch college football actually do...

Comment

I think I might take Reiff over Kalil (those two are close), but Martin and Adams are close. The real problem with Adams is consistency, and inconsistency is a killer when it comes to offensive tackles. If your OT is solid 95% of the time, but 5% of the time he's a screwup, then your QB is liable to get killed on every 1 of 20 pass plays. QB injuries end seasons for your entire team, so you can't have that.

When it comes to OTs, I would take a guy who's an 8/10 on 99% of attempts every time over a guy who's a 9/10 90% of the time. Other positions are different, but for OTs consistency is incredibly important.

The reason I wouldn't put Adams in the top 20 right now is that while he's the 3rd or 4th OT, he's probably the 5th or 6th OL. He has a PV lean over guys like DeCastro and Konz, but those interior guys are simply better football players. What with Mike Pouncey going before Solder, Castonzo, Carimi, and Sherrod; and Maurkice Pouncey, and Mike Iupati going before Bulaga and Saffold, I could easily see Konz and DeCastro pushing Martin and Adams down the board.
            Last edited by PossibleCabbage; 01-29-2012, 03:38 PM.

Comment

I would agree that DeCastro is at least on the same level as Adams (I view both as Top 10 prospect), but I think Konz belongs more in the late 1st. I have to evaluate him more in-depth because I wasn't expecting him to declare, but I don't see him as a Top 20 pick.

Right now, I would rank the following as 1st Rounders:
              1. Matt Kalil (Top 5)
              2. Mike Adams (Top 10)
              3. David DeCastro (Top 10)
              4. Jonathan Martin (Top 20)
              5. Riley Reiff (Top 20)
              6. Cordy Glenn (Late 1st)
              7. Peter Konz (Late 1st)

Mike Brewster and Kelechi Osemele are borderline 1st as well. This OT class has a lot of talent at the top, though I still think Martin and Reiff need work, but the depth is lacking. I had Mitchell Schwartz and James Brown top 10 at the position entering the week, but I believe they have locked up a Top 100 selection and I currently have Schwartz 6th and Brown 7th. Brown might get moved inside to guard though. He is very talented, just needs work. Somebody will be tempted in the 2nd-3rd.

I really like the OG depth though. It's rare you even have two legit 1st Round talents in DeCastro and Glenn, but the next ten guys after that, I wouldn't mind having in the 4th or higher.

Center class is solid too after Konz and Brewster. It seems like everybody is forgetting about Ben Jones, but he is a very talented center as well and belongs in the 2nd. Molk, Blake, and Saulsberry are all looking like 4th-5th to me right now.

Comment

I think most Buckeye fans have been saying this kid was a first round lock after his breakout junior year. Not sure why the national pundits took so long to come around, but he's looked like he has since 2010 - great skillset, dominant at times, every once in a while he has a lapse in technique and gets beat (usually on an inside/swim move). I think it's a toss up between Adams, Reiff, and Martin on who will be taken as the 2nd-4th OT after Kalil. Both seem to be in that 10-15 range and all project as franchise left tackles.

Comment

Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
                  I think most Buckeye fans have been saying this kid was a first round lock after his breakout junior year. Not sure why the national pundits took so long to come around, but he's looked like he has since 2010 - great skillset, dominant at times, every once in a while he has a lapse in technique and gets beat (usually on an inside/swim move). I think it's a toss up between Adams, Reiff, and Martin on who will be taken as the 2nd-4th OT after Kalil. Both seem to be in that 10-15 range and all project as franchise left tackles.
                  Completely agreed. Like I said previously, I really question whether or not some people that say they watch college football actually do.

Adams was a late 1st coming into the year, locked up Top 15 when he came back from suspension, and is looking at Top 10 now.

Comment

I'm pretty sure TACKLE has been spouting this for months, and I've been on board for a while since he showed me some senior tape of his a while back. Adams just reeks of potential, and I have a really hard time envisioning him getting out of the Top 15 come April. I think he's head and shoulders better then Jonathon Martin and he's right there with Reiff as the #2 OT in this class (I'm a Kalil believer, but I know some out there aren't).
                    Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                    The APS is strong in this one.
                    Originally posted by killxswitch
                    Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

I know there are plenty of draftniks on this and other boards who were all over the Mike Adams train all year long. It seems though like there were virtually no national writers or even private sites like this one, draftdaddy, etc. that had him in the first or top 20 until senior bowl week happened. Most people said "2nd round grade" and possibly late first rounder at best.

Comment

Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
                        This and more this.

We have been pimping this guy for months now.
                        http://draftcountdown.com/forum/show...ght=mike+adams

I think Mike Adams may end up being the 2nd OT off the board and at worst the 3rd.

As far as him being a LT, absolutely. Could play both but I feel it would be a waist of his talent putting him on the right.

He does have some lapses in technique. Has some issues bending at the waist but certainly coachable stuff.

I PITY THE FOOL WHO DON'T BELIEVE ME
                        BK sig is straight sex
                        THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
                        Baltimore Ravens
                        Cleveland Cavaliers
                        Cleveland Indians
                        Chelsea FC
                        Originally posted by keylime_5
                        Miller is visual sex on the field.

Comment

I think a lot of people in this thread are really underselling Reiff (quite possibly because Iowa doesn't have the national profile or fanbase of Ohio State). Unless something goes very wrong at the combine (failed drug test, serious injury, diagnosis of serious medical condition) the OTs should be Kalil and Reiff in the top 10, and then everybody else in some order.

Adams can easily be a top 20 pick, but I don't see a realistic chance he's the 2nd OT taken.

Comment

I don't know if he'll surpass Reiff, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did b/c of his size and upside. It only takes one team, and guys like Mike are the type of players that teams fall in love with. He'll go in that same, 8-15 range at least.

Comment

Originally posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
                              I think a lot of people in this thread are really underselling Reiff (quite possibly because Iowa doesn't have the national profile or fanbase of Ohio State). Unless something goes very wrong at the combine (failed drug test, serious injury, diagnosis of serious medical condition) the OTs should be Kalil and Reiff in the top 10, and then everybody else in some order.

Adams can easily be a top 20 pick, but I don't see a realistic chance he's the 2nd OT taken.
                              I have not been very impressed with Reiff, he's been consistent but I haven't been wowed by him.

Meanwhile Mike Adams has been on fire.

You also have to consider the fact that Reiff really projects better to the right side than the left (he can certainly play multiple positions along the OL but on a more hole plugging basis). So his positional value is less than that of Adams as well IMO

I PITY THE FOOL WHO DON'T BELIEVE ME
                              BK sig is straight sex
                              THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
                              Baltimore Ravens
                              Cleveland Cavaliers
                              Cleveland Indians
                              Chelsea FC
                              Originally posted by keylime_5
                              Miller is visual sex on the field.

Comment

Working...
                              X