The Pac-10 vs SEC Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pac-10 vs SEC Discussion

This is being brought up by these articles.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...tball-part-one

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...tball-part-two

What say you?

I don't think there's any question that the Pac-10 as a whole plays the most difficult schedules in the nation right now.

However, I think it's tough to compare a 10 team conference to a 12 team conference. Especially without being specific as to what exactly it is you're comparing. A blanket statement such as "Pac-10 football is better than SEC football" seems impossible to prove.

As a whole, I believe the SEC has more talent.

From top to bottom, I believe the Pac-10 is more competitive.

Depending on the context, I could argue for either conference.

Comment

Who knows how the SEC would be without Vany or Ole Miss. That would be their form of a 10 team conference.

Nearly impossible to compare conferences without the same number of teams.

Comment

Originally posted by 504 to ATL View Post
        Who knows how the SEC would be without Vany or Ole Miss. That would be their form of a 10 team conference.

Nearly impossible to compare conferences without the same number of teams.
        Why would it necessarily be two of the worst teams? Why not Auburn and Georgia?

In reality, both Vanderbilt and Ole Miss have been affiliated with the conference since its inception. The two new additions are South Carolina and Arkansas.

I mean, who knows how the Pac-10 would be with Texas and Oklahoma, right?

Comment

The Pac 10 is way too top heavy. It's USC and then everybody else with Arizona, Washington St. and Stanford bring up the rear.
          The SEC is stronger top to bottom. The HCing is the best in the country. The academic standards are the worst among major conferences allowing a lot of questionable athletes to attend their schools. Not all their schools have terrible standards but the majority do.
          The SEC champion is always a threat to win the NC while only USC in the Pac 10 can make that claim.
          And proud of it!!!

Comment

You don't think a healthy Oregon last year had a chance to win the NC?

ASU has great coaching now btw and has a real good shot to be in the NC soon

Comment

I'd say it's a bit closer between the two conferences than people would think, especially when you consider how the second place team in the SEC got laid out by a middling Pac 10 team last season.

The articles brought up valid points, but the author was far to antagonistic to be taken seriously.

Stand Tall and Shake the Heavens!
              The Destroyer Is Manifest!
              I reserve the rights to retract any posts made betwen midnight and 5 AM PST due to being really, really drunk

Comment

Originally posted by duckseason View Post
                Why would it necessarily be two of the worst teams? Why not Auburn and Georgia?

In reality, both Vanderbilt and Ole Miss have been affiliated with the conference since its inception. The two new additions are South Carolina and Arkansas.

I mean, who knows how the Pac-10 would be with Texas and Oklahoma, right?
                I don't think Texas would have ever gone over to the Pac-10. Colorado on the other hand I think has a real shot of possibly changing conferences. If the Pac-10 would expand Colorado, Utah, BYU, would probably at the top of their list in that order.

I do think it is practically impossible to compare both conferences but I do admit, that although I am an SEC fan, I think the Pac 10 is more competitive from top to bottom.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                WHO DAT!

Comment

Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
                  I don't think Texas would have ever gone over to the Pac-10. Colorado on the other hand I think has a real shot of possibly changing conferences. If the Pac-10 would expand Colorado, Utah, BYU, would probably at the top of their list in that order.

I do think it is practically impossible to compare both conferences but I do admit, that although I am an SEC fan, I think the Pac 10 is more competitive from top to bottom.
                  The Pac 10's at stable state, It's not going to expand, nor should it.

Stand Tall and Shake the Heavens!
                  The Destroyer Is Manifest!
                  I reserve the rights to retract any posts made betwen midnight and 5 AM PST due to being really, really drunk

Comment

Originally posted by diabsoule View Post

Oh I agree. I was just matching the ridiculousness of Hwoarang's "what if" so he could see just how ridiculous it sounded.

I think the Pac-10 really wants Texas and Texas AM, but like you said that will likely never happen. I think the addition of the Utah schools would be the most likely scenario, if the Pac-10 were to expand. Sure hope they don't though.

Comment

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
                      The Pac 10 is way too top heavy. It's USC and then everybody else with Arizona, Washington St. and Stanford bring up the rear.
                      The SEC is stronger top to bottom. The HCing is the best in the country. The academic standards are the worst among major conferences allowing a lot of questionable athletes to attend their schools. Not all their schools have terrible standards but the majority do.
                      The SEC champion is always a threat to win the NC while only USC in the Pac 10 can make that claim.
                      Right. The Pac-10 is top heavy. SC and everybody else.

People are still spouting that crap?

Do yourself a favor and research which teams SC has lost to over the last handful of years.

Then go take a look at the elite teams that they've beaten from all across the country.

Now compare the lists.

While you're at it, take a look at how the rest of the Pac-10 has fared in OOC games in recent history. For every game you can find where a Pac-10 team looked bad in a loss, I can think of two that redeem them.

Oh, and go take a look at how many Pac-10 teams have won the conference title in the last 15 or so years.

Do the same for any other conference.

Do all that, then come back and tell everybody just how top heavy the Pac-10 is.

Comment

People are still spouting that crap?
                        I grew up a Cal fan, so I feel like the only Pac 10 fan in Big 12 country but the number of times Pac 10 teams lose to Big 12 teams in recent bowl games isn't helping the cause (touting the Pac 10's strength).

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
                          I grew up a Cal fan, so I feel like the only Pac 10 fan in Big 12 country but the number of times Pac 10 teams lose to Big 12 teams in recent bowl games isn't helping the cause.
                          Like Oregon vs Texas or Colorado? Oregon St vs Missouri? Cal vs Texas AM? UCLA vs Texas AM? Arizona vs Nebraska? Washington St vs Texas?

Sure the Big-12 has come out on top a few times as well, but by my count the Pac-10 has fared well against the Big-12 in recent history.

Comment

Like Oregon vs Texas or Colorado? Oregon St vs Missouri? Cal vs Texas AM? UCLA vs Texas AM? Arizona vs Nebraska? Washington St vs Texas?

Sure the Big-12 has come out on top a few times as well, but by my count the Pac-10 has fared well against the Big-12 in recent history.
                            I think it's more the ones that people expect them to win. Example, when Cal played Texas Tech during Aaron Rodgers last season, USC vs UT in that NC, and various other games (I dont remember them and dont care enough to do so). Not saying that I agree but that's just what I have seen. Personally, I think the Pac 10 has more talent, than most the Big 12 teams but the problem is that they beat up on each other.

Comment

By the way, I think we can all agree ESPN sucks but what is sad is that they have a contract with the Big 10 to televise their games, and I think that creates a huge bias towards the Big 10. (Fox Sports has the Pac 10 contract, right?)

and that Cal/Tennessee game was fun to watch this year (I was rooting for Cal obviously), it was sad they lost the year before.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information