X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Practice Thread

thought people could post any updates/info in 1 thread

for wvu

-jarrett brown looks great in practice; dare i say better than pat white? said he has been making throws pat cant (hes 6'4 220lbs); also said you could hear the ball through the air, and the receivers hands have been bruised

-brown went 11-12 in the skeleton with 3 tds to wes lyons; had 2 more tds in goalline drill both to lyons

-lyons, who is 6'8 has been moved to slot receiver

-wr/rb jock sanders is still suspened for dui

-lb reed williams has returned from double shoulder surgery (med rs last year); other lbs said its like having another coach on the field

-coley white (pats bro) is way behind where pat was at the same point in their careers

-devine has been excused since i believe thurs? for a personal matter (funeral)

-starting wr bradley starks (also 3rd qb) has not been cleared to throw (shoulder surgery) but has looked good as a wr

-logan heastie is up to 200lbs (only been to 1 practice)

nothing exciting, except for jarrett browns play

cred 2 BoneKrusher

Nick Sheridan broke his leg (not too serious, only out 4-6 weeks) and David Cone broke a bone in his non-throwing hand. Freshman Tate Forcier and quarterback-turned slot receiver-turned quarterback Justin Feagin are at top of the depth chart.

Tate Forcier has looked really, really good throwing the ball. Much better than expected. However, he's had some fumbling issues.

Vincent Smith has been by far the best of the seven freshman already on campus. He should see his fair share of playing time behind Brandon Minor.

Martell Webb and Kevin Koger have been really, really impressive. It is expected that they both will play important roles in the offense this year.

Stevie Brown has been awesome this Spring, but he was awesome last spring too and it didn't translate to the regular season.

Comment

Originally posted by P-L View Post
      Stevie Brown has been awesome this Spring, but he was awesome last spring too and it didn't translate to the regular season.
      He was also awesome in '07 Spring Practice before the Horror.

Comment

Ryan Van Bergen has been one of the most impressive players in spring practices. He's all but locked up the starting DE spot opposite Graham.

Steve Watson will get some playing time this year at rush linebacker or w/e the new position is called. He looks pretty natural for someone who just switched over from TE.

William Campbell is really raw, but his talent is obvious. The guy is HUGE.

And yeah Stevie Brown looks good.
        I'm a state.

Comment

Word on the street is Jonathan Crompton actually looks good and accurate and understands the new offense! :O

Also, Tennessee's offensive line is apparently getting back to it's 2007 version and smashing people in the mouth instead of flipping sides and **** in Clawson's confusing offense.

The defense is also apparently looking almost as good as they did last year.

This is all just in practice though. I'll wait until I see them in serious action to get my hopes up.
          Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
          RIP themaninblack

Comment

VT starts on April 1st I believe.

#4 Duke Blue Devils (4-1)
            2010 & 2015 National Champions!!!
            2015 2K Classic Champions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cESr9VWpZc0
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO4iMIahsAs

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
              Ryan Van Bergen has been one of the most impressive players in spring practices. He's all but locked up the starting DE spot opposite Graham.

Steve Watson will get some playing time this year at rush linebacker or w/e the new position is called. He looks pretty natural for someone who just switched over from TE.

William Campbell is really raw, but his talent is obvious. The guy is HUGE.

And yeah Stevie Brown looks good.
              Also heard Brandon Smith and Mike Williams have looked great. Brandon Minor looks ripped and is actually healthy.

OG Ricky Barnum sprained his ankle. Not sure how much time he'll miss.

Carlos Brown got a concussion (can he ever stay healthy?)

Larry Foote and LaMarr Woodley have been working out at Schembechler Hall during the offseason.

Greg Mathews, Donovan Warren and Martavious Odoms remain the leaders for punt return duty and Terrence Robinson will get some chances as well.
              Last edited by ironman4579; 03-30-2009, 12:05 AM.

Originally posted by Jakey
              WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!

Comment

For Ole Miss, freshman early enrollee DE Craig Drummond has shown a ton of ability and the coaches think he could make an impact this fall, even with our depth at DE.

Brandon Bolden has looked great, as has McCluster.

Bobby Massie watched practice this weekend, but he won't be able to participate since he hasn't graduated yet. Bradley Sowell has taken over Oher's LT spot for now.

Greg Hardy still isn't practicing due to his foot surgery, he still has a boot on.

Comment

Apparently the defense has been fantastic thus far in spring practice for UGA. Geno Atkins has been tearing it up from what I've read.

Freshman RB Carlton Thomas has been impressive.

^A Bonekrusher production^
                  Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165

Comment

For ND:

**Golden Tate is splitting time between being the leadoff hitter for the Irish baseball team and football practice. He still busting his butt to maintain his starting spot. His absence is allowing the other WRs to get much needed reps and make their case to be the #3 WR.

**Trevor Robinson, Matt Romine, Barry Gallup Jr., George West, Darius Fleming, Sean Cwynar, Mike Anello, E.J. Banks, Anthony McDonald, and Kerry Neal are all limited in practice due to various injuries.

**Michael Floyd has a strained quad and Duval Kamara has a strained hammy. Both are missing pretty much the 2nd half of practice daily.

**Darrin Walls has returned and hasn't lost much. He's a bit rusty, but on the whole he's battling to regain his starting spot.

**Harrison Smith doesn't look out of place playing back at his safety spot, and is in the mix to start. Sergio Brown is pressing hard for that same position.

**James Aldridge is getting reps at both RB and FB. He's not looking to bad at FB, and will give ND a different look.

**With Jon Tenuta taking over the defense, the base look will be more of a 4-3. Kapron Lewis-Moore is locking up one DE spot, with the other being manned by Ethan Johnson. The DL surprise is Hafis Williams, who is allowing Johnson to stay at DE instead of sliding to DT.

**Toryan Smith has finally grasped the D, allowing Brian Smith to line up at other LB spots. The 3rd spot appears to belong to Scott Smith at the moment, but Weis expects Manti Te'o and Darius Fleming to be in the rotation, if one of them doesn't take the starting spot.

**Mike Ragone feels that both of his knees are healthy, and is battling to regain the spot he defaulted to Kyle Rudolph. However, Joseph Fauria is making a case to be the #2 TE.

**Gary Gray is not enrolled at ND at the moment, but will be back for the summer school session and will return for fall practice. His return will make for a solid DB rotation. His absence is giving Jamoris Slaughter a chance to show what he can do.

**According to most, Jonas Gray by far appears to be the most complete back on the roster, but is having issues hanging on to the ball. For now, Armando Allen is the starter, but Robert Hughes is quickly returning to the form that made him the best running back on the Irish roster.

Comment

USC

Impressive showings
                      Stafon Johnson
                      Curtis Mcneal
                      Chris Galippo
                      Drew McAllister
                      Kevin Thomas

Not so much
                      Everson Griffen (Disciplined, academic reasons)
                      Anthony McCoy (Disciplined, academic reasons)
                      Joe houston (all-kickers and punters sucked)

Comment

Originally posted by JayP View Post
                        For ND:

**Golden Tate is splitting time between being the leadoff hitter for the Irish baseball team and football practice. He still busting his butt to maintain his starting spot. His absence is allowing the other WRs to get much needed reps and make their case to be the #3 WR.
                        which mainly Goodman is doing really impressively

**Trevor Robinson, Matt Romine, Barry Gallup Jr., George West, Darius Fleming, Sean Cwynar, Mike Anello, E.J. Banks, Anthony McDonald, and Kerry Neal are all limited in practice due to various injuries.

**Michael Floyd has a strained quad and Duval Kamara has a strained hammy. Both are missing pretty much the 2nd half of practice daily.

**Darrin Walls has returned and hasn't lost much. He's a bit rusty, but on the whole he's battling to regain his starting spot.
                        Corwin Brown actually said he got better in his time away, I expect him to start (probably with blanton) next fall.

**Harrison Smith doesn't look out of place playing back at his safety spot, and is in the mix to start. Sergio Brown is pressing hard for that same position.
                        To be honoust with Kyle McCarthey and H Smith i dont see brown getting that much time.

**James Aldridge is getting reps at both RB and FB. He's not looking to bad at FB, and will give ND a different look.

**With Jon Tenuta taking over the defense, the base look will be more of a 4-3. Kapron Lewis-Moore is locking up one DE spot, with the other being manned by Ethan Johnson. The DL surprise is Hafis Williams, who is allowing Johnson to stay at DE instead of sliding to DT.
                        When asked about Motta you could see a rare sparkle of emotion with Tenuta, I'm pretty sure he is gonna get some playing time.
                        EJ has been our strongest lineman and I feel will become one of the nations best ones. KLM seems in as does Ian. Due to the diversity of EJ the last spot will either be kerry neal (EJ=DT) or Hafis (EJ=DE) with me liking the latter better. Neal will get enough time in the nickel that we will use plenty

**Toryan Smith has finally grasped the D, allowing Brian Smith to line up at other LB spots. The 3rd spot appears to belong to Scott Smith at the moment, but Weis expects Manti Te'o and Darius Fleming to be in the rotation, if one of them doesn't take the starting spot.
                        see motta comment

**Mike Ragone feels that both of his knees are healthy, and is battling to regain the spot he defaulted to Kyle Rudolph. However, Joseph Fauria is making a case to be the #2 TE.
                        Personally i feel Ragone is looking okay but not better, he seems to have lost some quickness and doesnt play as hard as he can imo.

**Gary Gray is not enrolled at ND at the moment, but will be back for the summer school session and will return for fall practice. His return will make for a solid DB rotation. His absence is giving Jamoris Slaughter a chance to show what he can do.
                        Is developing to be our deepest part with walls being back better than expeted

**According to most, Jonas Gray by far appears to be the most complete back on the roster, but is having issues hanging on to the ball. For now, Armando Allen is the starter, but Robert Hughes is quickly returning to the form that made him the best running back on the Irish roster.
                        we at least have enough horses in our stable.

Paul Duncan seems to have locked up the essential left tackle spot

Braxton Cave is looking beastly and would start on almost every team in the country imo.

All three new coaches(hart, alford and verducci) get really positive reactions both from the players and bystanders (either proffesionals or fans)

Joe Montana has been at almost every practice thusfar, feels good in recruitment of his son to be honoust.

Recruits that have come to practices that I am aware of: Smith and Lombard as already commited players and Fulton(Xaviers little bro) James, Lavey and Lueders. As well as some low profile recruits from nearby.

The Irish eyes drill looked nice and intense, the defense is looking great, certainly the backfiel.
                        Comments in bold, I might add to it in the course of the practices.

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
                        - No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
                        - Corner or Wideout in the first
                        - No reaching
                        - No Kelvin Benjamin

Comment

Originally posted by wicket View Post
                          Comments in bold, I might add to it in the course of the practices.
                          Goodman has packed on some pounds without losing a step, but Kamara nor Walker are going down without a fight. From what I've read, the 1st goal of the three is to lock down the #3 spot before Shaq Evans hits campus.

Darrin really never left. I read that he was at every home game. I think the Walls and McNeil will start, but Blanton (and Gray when he returns) will get major minutes.

Sergio Brown is still the nickel back, and considering the way he played last year, I think it'll be hard to take that spot from him. Safeties with cornerback speed are hard to find. Speaking of the nickel package, it seems that EJ and KLM slide down to DT on that package and Mo Richardson comes in to speed rush. I'm thinking Brian Smith will probably be the other edge rusher, but I wouldn't be shocked to see the other OLB rush as well. Who the other OLB will be is still a mystery, but there will definitely be plenty of fresh legs to bring in.

I'm personally enjoying the fight for minutes at LB. I don't think anything will be fully decided until Calabrese and Te'o hit campus. And that James Aldridge is willing to do whatever it takes to get on the field and help the team is a great thing.

I think Hafis Williams will do great things. I also believe that John Ryan will do much better being able to put his hand down and rush the passer than he did at LB.

Comment

2nd scrimmage stats

brown 3-13 for about 35 yds
                            devine 5 carries 168 yds, 2 tds (65yds and 1 yd)

apparently, stew let the defense have free reign (meaning everything the defense wanted to do, he let them); and the defense was unstoppable and brown couldnt even get his feet set

it's probably the best defense our offense will face all year (#35 total from last year, #12 i believe in scoring; return 9 starters, but the 2 new ones have started due to injury)

cred 2 BoneKrusher

Comment

well this is who is starting right now according to the first spring depth chart:

QB-Terrelle Pryor
                              RB-Dan Herron
                              FB-Jermil Martin
                              WR-DeVier Posey
                              WR-Dane Sanzenbacher
                              TE-Jake Ballard
                              LT-Mike Adams
                              LG-Justin Boren
                              C-Mike Brewster
                              RG-Bryant Browning
                              RT-Jim Cordle

DE-Cameron Heyward (Lawrence Wilson still rehabbing)
                              DT-Doug Worthington
                              DT-Dexter Larimore
                              DE-Thad Gibson
                              WLB-Ross Homan
                              MLB-Austin Spitler
                              SLB-Tyler Moeller
                              BC-Chimdi Chekwa
                              FC-Andre Amos
                              SS-Kurt Coleman
                              FS-Anderson Russell

Etienne Sabino might get the SAM job (or MIKE, but that's gonna be tough to beat out a guy like Spitler who has been here 4 years and got a lot of praise from the seniors and coaches as Laurinaitis' backup), Jermale Hines is pushing Russell at safety, Travis Howard might beat out Andre Amos at corner, and Nathan Williams is gonna try to have a breakout year at DE regardless of if he is a starter or just a rotational guy. O-Line should be much better with a more experienced and stronger Brewster, Boren at guard, a quicker Cordle at RT and the slower Browning at his natural guard spot.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information