Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wouldn't mind seeing TCU in the SEC.

I know it won't happen, but still.
    Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
    RIP themaninblack

Comment

• The Big Ten is big on academics and seem to only want schools that are members of the America Association of Universities. Schools that are members of the AAU that could be options include Missouri, Kansas, Iowa State, and Rutgers. Missouri and Kansas would be good additions. Rutgers looks like they'll be going to the ACC. So the question is, where does the Big Ten get the other two teams to move to 16 teams? Do they add Iowa State, who doesn't really add much? Do they go after Notre Dame, who is not a member but still a very good school? Or do they say "Screw Academics. We care about sports now" and add a school like West Virginia?

Originally posted by SolidGold
      Bortlezzzzzzz
      Originally posted by Monomach
      Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 

Comment

• I keep forgetting about Kansas. Kansas would be a real good add for the soon to be Big 16 prolly. Just cuz of B-Ball. Add Missouri, which gives u 14. Plead to Notre Dame ever so hard get 15. And then get an Iowa State, Baylor, or maybe like a MAC team or something if they can't get Notre Dame.

Comment

• The Big Ten stays at 12 unless they can add Notre Dame, who they would probably pair with Missouri.

The reason the ACC is expanding is because they have to. They can't stay stationary because they are competing in the same market as other conferences and were at risk themselves of being contracted. The additions of schools like Syracuse and Pittsburgh are, at best, pretty good, but would have added almost nothing to the B1G. The ACC also doesn't have the revenue streams that the Big Ten does, so there's less of a pie to split up.

The SEC is adding Texas A&M because it's a no-brainer from a lot of standpoints. They may add West Virginia because they feel they have to equal their leagues out, though I think that's a mistake.

The Pac-12 is adding Texas and Oklahoma because it's Texas and Oklahoma.

I don't see the argument that the Big Ten HAS to expand. They dominate their market (midwest) and have a strong following nationally. What would really benefit them would be to add some stronger football teams, and especially stronger recruiting states, but those don't really exist beyond Texas, and I don't think there's a fit there.

The talk of four super-conferences is overblown. Everyone's situation is unique.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by yodapoop View Post
            And then get an Iowa State, Baylor, or maybe like a MAC team or something if they can't get Notre Dame.
            Jesus Christ no.

Comment

• Here's a column on the West Virginia to SEC rumors...
              http://outkickthecoverage.com/west-v...ont-happen.php

He doesn't seem to think WVU is high on the SEC's list at all.
              Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
              RIP themaninblack

Comment

• Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                The talk of four super-conferences is overblown. Everyone's situation is unique.
                I hope you are right about that but I'm not sure you are. The Pac 16 looks like a done deal. The ACC now has 14 teams and it is looking more and more likely that Rutgers and Connecticut will make it 16. That would leave the Big 12 and the Big East with just five schools (assuming TCU continues with their move), not large enough to make it an actual conference. Those schools are going to have to go somewhere.

Originally posted by SolidGold
                Bortlezzzzzzz
                Originally posted by Monomach
                Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 

Comment

• I love the Pitt, Syracuse, and WVU moves. I think they're all great fits.

I'm also hoping a Big East collapse will lead to Notre Dame and one more team to the Big Ten.

I'd honestly love to see Cincy, Louisville, and WVU to the Big 12 and keep that conference alive than see a PAC 16.
                  Last edited by Smooth Criminal; 09-19-2011, 12:23 PM.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Comment

• Our AD has been talking to both the Big 10 and the ACC but it's really a toss up at this point. I'd be fine with either conference but would be more happy with Big 10.
                    #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Originally posted by jrdrylie View Post
                      I hope you are right about that but I'm not sure you are. The Pac 16 looks like a done deal. The ACC now has 14 teams and it is looking more and more likely that Rutgers and Connecticut will make it 16. That would leave the Big 12 and the Big East with just five schools (assuming TCU continues with their move), not large enough to make it an actual conference. Those schools are going to have to go somewhere.
                      Just because they have to go somewhere doesn't mean the Big Ten wants them. When the old SWAC broke up, TCU, Rice and SMU didn't get to come along for the Big 12 ride, they joined Conference USA.

Comment

• Villanova apparently applied for ACC membership. This creates a very interesting scenario where the ACC could add Villanova as a non-football school and then try to push for Notre Dame to do the same. Notre Dame seems pretty angry with Pitt and Syracuse's Big East deflection though, so they might not be up for that. Still, it's something that bears watching.

I'm rooting against that, personally. I would like to see the some of the old Big East come back in the new ACC, but I could understand the ACC wanting to add schools that bring more to the table in terms of football. I'm just not sure that they're out there right now. The pipedream that they supposedly have is adding Notre Dame as a full conference member, but I can't see any sort of justification for that actually happening.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Notre Dams to the ACC would be infuriating. They're such a Big Ten fit it's unreal.

Comment

• If they want to go for a full time membership, they're doing themselves a disservice not going B1G. If they want a place to dump their basketball and Olympics, the ACC might be the way to go for them if they're open to such a deal.

....but the smoke out there right now is that UConn has a "better than average" chance of joining the ACC and is "in constant communication with the team presidents". With the ACC stating that they're not opposed to a 16 team league, that looks like it could be something that's happening in the coming months. Rutgers would be the logical choice to round out the new Northeast ACC division, but the ACC may try to see if they can land a bigger fish as well. UConn forces them to add a school that competes in football as well to match, so unless they're landing Notre Dame or Penn State(not happening, but being discussed on ACC hangouts), that's the likely route right now.
                            Last edited by ElectricEye; 09-19-2011, 02:18 PM.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• A 16 team ACC is still not impressive at all in terms of football, but it allows them to have protection in case of getting raided by the SEC or Big Ten, and adding UConn and Rutgers would add a lot of revenue and make them the dominant basketball conference.

I'm just hoping the collapse of the Big Ten will finally push Notre Dame to join the Big Ten.

Comment

• I know the ACC raised the exit fee to $20 million but any school that leaves for either the Big Ten or SEC will recoup that money in a year and has more to gain by joining either conference. That's why I think that Boston College is still in play for the Big Ten if they get Notre Dame to join and Florida State to the SEC (they are the only ACC school to form a committee on realignment)

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                                WHO DAT!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information