Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just listened to our AD on the NYC radio show and he seemed very confident that we're going to land in a good spot. I think he's definitely holding out hope for B10 but it sounds like we're going to land in that or ACC for sure. I feel more comfortable that we'll be fine after listening to him.
    #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• Wow, the Notre Dame to the ACC move is pretty crazy. That would certainly turn the tides of the conference a little bit. Even with Notre Dame down on their luck, they're still one of the most important chips on any table. I thought they would be sniffing around for basketball and Olympics, but the ACC has said publicly that a conference with non-football members just isn't a good idea at this point.

I wonder what the counter move at that point would be. If you're swinging for the fences and have Notre Dame in the fold, you might as well try to bring in Penn State and finally get all the good programs in the East in one place. I'm not sure how open they would be to that, it's been rumored and dismissed as crazy talk already, but Notre Dame would give the entire thing a different look for sure. I think they would ultimately stay in the B1G, but it would be a story if the ACC did manage to bag Notre Dame.

Ultimately, it's still probably UConn and Rutgers rounding out the thing....but hot damn is the ACC making things interesting right now.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• The NY Times researched college football fans in NYC and around the country and this is what they found for NY.

#Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• The only problem is that those people aren't foaming at the mouth for Rutgers football. Allegiances are split. I really hope Rutgers continues heading in the right direction and the possibility of reaching that many homes with a network is something that's huge....but there just isn't enough right now for the ACC or the Big Ten to go on as far as fielding competitive football and basketball programs goes.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

• Originally posted by ElectricEye View Post
            The only problem is that those people aren't foaming at the mouth for Rutgers football. Allegiances are split. I really hope Rutgers continues heading in the right direction and the possibility of reaching that many homes with a network is something that's huge....but there just isn't enough right now for the ACC or the Big Ten to go on as far as fielding competitive football and basketball programs goes.
            I agree that we have to get better. We've been headed in the right direction but as of now we're not strong enough. That's not the only factor though which is why we're still an attractive school even without the high winning percentages. Even if Rutgers had half of those NYC viewers we still have all of NJ which in itself is a big TV market.

This a link to that article I quoted above that shows the fan bases for all the major collegiate teams. Rutgers would fit in nicely with any of the conferences from that perspective.

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/201...os/?ref=sports
            #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• I already posted that article above.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                I actually feel a little bad for West Virginia.

Let's be honest, you're THE public university for the state of West Virginia. How could you possibly have any academic standards? You'd have like 20 students.

Granted, you could say the same thing about most of the South, but schools like Alabama are ******* annoying because they actually think they are a good school. I knew a dude with an Auburn degree who could barely tie his own shoes.
                I wouldn't group Auburn with schools like WVU or some of the other ones in the SEC. Pretty solid school and a very good economics department(just saying)

Comment

I already posted that article above.
                  Sorry BF. I should have known better.

On Edit: Rutgers also announced today that they're moving forward with a merger of a hospital in New Brunswick and we'll be creating a medical school through that. That's another very attractive option to these new conferences. I don't know if the timing of the announcement was planned or it was just a coincidence that they announced during this time frame.
                  Last edited by Giantsfan1080; 09-20-2011, 06:46 PM.
                  #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Granted, you could say the same thing about most of the South, but schools like Alabama are ******* annoying because they actually think they are a good school. I knew a dude with an Auburn degree who could barely tie his own shoes.
                    Isn't Auburn just a few spots lower than Minnesota in the top public universities in the country?
                    Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
                    RIP themaninblack

Comment

• Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
                      hahah eat it WVU! i guess those conferences like you to be able to read
                      Have WVU and RU not been in the same conference this whole time?

Comment

• Originally posted by CashmoneyDrew View Post
                        Isn't Auburn just a few spots lower than Minnesota in the top public universities in the country?
                        Is it? That's really surprising to me, but I don't know nearly as much about undergradaute rankings as I do about graduate rankings. The graduate rankings are the ones that really matter when it comes to comparative academics. Minnesota is top 25 in most programs. Auburn is out of the top 50 for sure, maybe not even the top 100.

Comment

• I don't know how credible this list is, but it's USNews and it's the top hit on Google for the top 100 public universities of 2011.
                          http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...-public/page+2

Has Auburn tied for 36th.

Surprised me for sure.
                          Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
                          RIP themaninblack

Comment

• Here's the best graduate school ranking list I've found (although it's hard to quantify because it can vary so much by field).

http://web.archive.org/web/200608201...site/newsweek/

For all the universities in the world, Minnesota is 30th. Vanderbilt is the only SEC school at 66. Eight Big Ten schools total.
                            Last edited by bearsfan_51; 09-20-2011, 08:04 PM.

Comment

• This is the 2011 ARWU rankings which are supposedly better than the US News ones.

http://www.shanghairanking.com/ARWU2011.html#

Minnesota at 28
                              Auburn in the 401-500 range
                              #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• ESPN is reporting Missouri informally joins the SEC and most league presidents endorse the move. SEC is denying the move as of now.
                                #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information