No announcement yet.

The Problem With the BCS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well... while a playoff system seems ideal but, we have to realize that these athletes are still students at the same time. The games will basically rape them scholarly.

Comment

Originally posted by MiWolves View Post
      Well... while a playoff system seems ideal but, we have to realize that these athletes are still students at the same time. The games will basically rape them scholarly.
      These playoff games would be during their christmas breaks, time they typically have off anyway.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Comment

Originally posted by MiWolves View Post
        Seems to work out well for every other level.

Comment

While they might be biased, Media members can look at that game last night and determine that Boise State just wasn't impressive in their win. It looked more like VT just f***ed themselves for a quarter and then Boise St didn't even look like they belonged. VT outscored Boise by 2TDs after giving up 17 (and should have given up more had it not been for great defensive play the first screwup)

I actually like the BCS the way it is, but think there needs to be some improvements. If anything, I think there should be big penalties for teams who play non-BCS teams or "teams not likely to be worth anything".

edit: It's hard to quantify "impressive" without legitimizing "running up the score"

LSU doesn't need to play Louisana Lafeyette. Nor does Ohio State need to play Toledo, nor does USC need to play San Jose State. Those games could be Florida, Texas, Boston College.
          **** her in da *****!

Comment

Somethings not right with the human element if two closely matched and Top-25 teams play a competetive game that goes into overtime with the home team winning.The losing team drops completely out of the rankings.

Meanwhile an unranked team beats up on an FCS school and moves into the Top-25.

What incentive is there for a team to play a tough non-conference schedule when defeating cupcakes has nearly as much reward and far, far, far less risk?

Comment

Originally posted by phlysac View Post
              Somethings not right with the human element if two closely matched and Top-25 teams play a competetive game that goes into overtime with the home team winning.The losing team drops completely out of the rankings.

Meanwhile an unranked team beats up on an FCS school and moves into the Top-25.

What incentive is there for a team to play a tough non-conference schedule when defeating cupcakes has nearly as much reward and far, far, far less risk?

I don't know... How the hell did Alabama lose 7 first place votes after beating up on a cupcake? One of Boise's cupcakes to be exact... that everyone is so impressed by them beating every year. I would love to know what those 7 media voters saw in week one that prompted them to believe that Boise was more deserving of the #1 ranking than Bama...

All Bama did was skull **** one of Boise's conference cupcakes with backups and 3rd stringers from the 2nd quarter on....

Meanwhile, VT after spotting Boise 17 points and taking their best shot, STILL almost won the game... and we can sit here and talk all night about one play here or one play there that would've done it...

Comment

I think realistically any system that is put in place will be flawed in some way. I like the idea of an 8 team playoff the best but there will still be problems.

Will the playoffs be seeded?

Does 8 play 1, 7 play 2 etc. Because if so then there will still be the problem with the seedings being biased. Last year a lot of people argued that either TCU or Boise should have been number 2 but they ended up 3 and 4, meaning in essence they would face better teams in the playoff structure than Texas who ended up ranked 2.

The last spots in will also be based off biased systems.

While we can all agree that there is a minimal chance of there being more than 8 legitimate national championship contenders, it is harder to argue that teams from aroung 6-10 are easily separated. For example if there are 4 undefeated teams, four one loss teams and two 2 loss teams in the top ten it may seem easy to leave out the two 2 loss teams. But would, for instance, one loss Miami be in the playoff over 2 loss LSU?

As long as there is a poll of media, coaches etc the chance of the end result being biased will always be there and may not be resolved.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

Comment

I agree that the preseason poll should be eliminated and would go so far as to eliminate a coaches poll. The coaches of all of these teams have so much more on their plates than to sit down and rank teams without showing some kind of bias for their own.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                  WHO DAT!

Comment

Originally posted by AntoinCD View Post
                    I think realistically any system that is put in place will be flawed in some way. I like the idea of an 8 team playoff the best but there will still be problems.

Will the playoffs be seeded?

Does 8 play 1, 7 play 2 etc. Because if so then there will still be the problem with the seedings being biased. Last year a lot of people argued that either TCU or Boise should have been number 2 but they ended up 3 and 4, meaning in essence they would face better teams in the playoff structure than Texas who ended up ranked 2.
                    If they're the best team in the nation, that won't matter.

The last spots in will also be based off biased systems.

While we can all agree that there is a minimal chance of there being more than 8 legitimate national championship contenders, it is harder to argue that teams from aroung 6-10 are easily separated. For example if there are 4 undefeated teams, four one loss teams and two 2 loss teams in the top ten it may seem easy to leave out the two 2 loss teams. But would, for instance, one loss Miami be in the playoff over 2 loss LSU?

As long as there is a poll of media, coaches etc the chance of the end result being biased will always be there and may not be resolved.
                    I'd much rather see the 9th place team get left out than the 3rd place team.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                    Originally posted by njx9
                    do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

The whole idea of the coaches poll mattering a joke, these guys dont pay attention to everyone. They might glance at a couple box scores but its basically just about whether or not you win.

Comment

The biggest problem I have with the coaches poll is that there are way too many agendas. Conferences make more money by having 2 BCS teams instead of 1. There is more reason for the Vanderbilts, Iowa States, Indianas and Washington States of the world to vote higher for their conferences. Coaches have better things to do than to decide who's better between 24 and 25.
                        As far as the computers go, it's the only way to really use an objective ranking, so I don't have much of a problem with it.
                        I also don't like preseason rankings. It gives teams a completely unnecessary inside track based on how they did the year before. This applies to Boise State this year. The biggest example of this was 2004-2005 when USC and Oklahoma held on to #1 and #2 the entire year. Auburn never had a chance that year. Another one was 2006, the only reason Notre Dame got into the BCS was because they were #2 to start the year.
                        I would prefer an 8 team playoff. The first round can be home field, the semifinals and NC can be on a neutral site.
                        Last edited by MidwayMonster31; 09-08-2010, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Assuming a playoff system isn't going to happen, here are a few things I'd do to try and fix the current system.

1.) No coaches poll, no media poll, no computers. Assemble a committee like they do for the NCAA Basketball tournament, have them analyze as thoroughly as possible all of the weekends' games, and then rank the teams appropriately.

2.) No rankings until at least 1/3 of the way into the season...preferably even halfway through the season.

3.) Teams are no longer allowed to play 1-AA teams. All opponents must be 1-A schools.

4.) At least one game a year will be an out of conference game determined by the previous years results. Now, what do I mean? Think of the NFL....you play your division 6 games, one other division in your conference 2 home/2 away, then one division from the other conference 2 home/2 away. That leaves 2 games that you play against the teams who placed in their division where you placed in yours the previous season. So, for the NCAA, what I'd do is have the conferences rotate which other conference they play, and have the top 6 teams in each from the previous year play the team that placed in the same spot in the other conference. For example, one year it could be Big 10 vs. Pac 10. The team who won the Big 10 will play a neutral field game vs. the team who won the Pac 10. The 2nd places would also do the same...and so forth. It can end after the top 6 or so to make up for the conferences not all having the same amount of teams. This way, every team will face at least one reasonable opponent of relatively equal talent level every year out of their conference.

5.) Ya know what? **** it.....teams are no longer in charge of making their own schedules period. Have it handled by a scheduling committee like pro sports do.

6.) Once Boise is in the Mountain West, that conference gets an automatic bid.

Just a few ideas that I think would ease it up....

Comment

Bravo my friend! Bravo.

#4 Duke Blue Devils (4-1)
                            2010 & 2015 National Champions!!!
                            2015 2K Classic Champions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cESr9VWpZc0
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO4iMIahsAs

Comment

Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
                              I agree that the preseason poll should be eliminated and would go so far as to eliminate a coaches poll. The coaches of all of these teams have so much more on their plates than to sit down and rank teams without showing some kind of bias for their own.

Saban voted Ohio St. #1 with his preseason coaches vote...

Comment

if they did a playoff and the conference champs got an automatic spot, then the only thing left to human voters would be the at-large teams and if they seeded teams. The conference champs I assume would get seeds and they could do a draw like the world cup does to take away the human component in the matchups. That would have less human voting factor than the BCS ever would. That said I am not that big a fan of having a playoff in college football.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information