College Players Should be Paid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by someone447 View Post
    I go back and forth on this issue too. They bring in a LOT of money to the school, and my roommates would leave for class at 9 am and not get home until 6-7 pm. It is a full time job at a D1 school.

Without a doubt they need to increase the stipend they get.
    And that's fine, but giving them a salary, aka a cut of the profit I don't agree with.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
    Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

They can be paid...that's fine. Of course then they'd have to pay to go to school (and if you don't sign up for at least 15 credits..you get dropped from the team).

Then they can be paid based on production...so the 2nd string QB who was going to be redshirted...now has to either learn how to play an additional position or there's no way he's going to sit the bench for 1/3 the salary (example) as say the starter.

...see where this is going ?

It's not broke, so don't attempt to "fix" it..
      Plus with insurance companies almost falling overthemselves to insure these kids against major injury...this was a non point years ago.

...how about our next debate be over the wheel...or fire and whether or not it benefits society.

Comment

I go back and forth on this issue too. They bring in a LOT of money to the school, and my roommates would leave for class at 9 am and not get home until 6-7 pm. It is a full time job at a D1 school.

Without a doubt they need to increase the stipend they get.
        First off....there is no law that says these kids MUST play football.
        If they're there for the education then perhaps they should all be "forced"
        to pay back the cost of their "free" education...then they could be charged for use of the teams facilities...lights, heat, cleaning supplies and services..ect ect ect.

Trust me..they get paid they just don't recieve their payments in the form of a check.

Comment

No no no. There is already not enough incentive for athletes to focus on education in HS and college, this would just make it worse.

Comment

Originally posted by ONUV View Post
            The disparity between what the scholarships are worth and the amount of money that these student athletes bring to their universities is appalling. These students are taking the time that most students work part time at near minimum wage and laying it all on the line for their university varsity team. Everyone agrees that most universities have been less than stellar at graduating high profile student athletes. Why not tie the two together to achieve a common goal?

http://www.fanblogs.com/ncaa/007012.php
            Scholarship = payment. "We give you a free education for playing for our football team." Paying college players to play football will never happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Severe Punishment View Post
              to pay back the cost of their "free" education...then they could be charged for use of the teams facilities...lights, heat, cleaning supplies and services..ect ect ect.

Trust me..they get paid they just don't recieve their payments in the form of a check.
              Very true. It is fair to say that almost every single major college football program has alumni/boosters that give these guys sweet summer jobs and maybe drop some coin in their mailbox every now and then.

Comment

Masterbation should be an official sport, but you dont see them bitchin

Comment

Trust me, what they get paid is not enough for what they do. I roomed with 4 UTEP players this past year, 2 have had knee surgery(one of them twice), and one is well on his way to needing it. Tell me what the violinist has to worry about that will affect his/her life after football? I understand not wanting to give them a salary, but a larger stipend would sure help them out.

Like I said they are gone 9am-6pm with very little breaks in between. Having class, then they go eat, then lift, then meetings, then practice, then the linemen had some more meetings. They get a small stipend now, but they need to give them a larger one.

Or how about give all athletes at each division the same amount, regardless of the sport or production. I haven't been an athlete yet(NEXT YEAR!!) and I haven't taken more than 12 hours a semester. That is considered a full time student, so the athletes shouldn't have to take any more than that, which, SUPRISE!!! is the rule. Leinhart was an exception, because he had already graduated, so he didn't have other classes to take.

Everyone is up in arms about Oden's schedule, but every one of his classes are required classes. It looked an awful lot like my schedule my freshman year.
                  I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
                  Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Trust me, what they get paid is not enough for what they do. I roomed with 4 UTEP players this past year, 2 have had knee surgery(one of them twice), and one is well on his way to needing it. Tell me what the violinist has to worry about that will affect his/her life after football? I understand not wanting to give them a salary, but a larger stipend would sure help them out.

Like I said they are gone 9am-6pm with very little breaks in between. Having class, then they go eat, then lift, then meetings, then practice, then the linemen had some more meetings. They get a small stipend now, but they need to give them a larger one.

Or how about give all athletes at each division the same amount, regardless of the sport or production. I haven't been an athlete yet(NEXT YEAR!!) and I haven't taken more than 12 hours a semester. That is considered a full time student, so the athletes shouldn't have to take any more than that, which, SUPRISE!!! is the rule. Leinhart was an exception, because he had already graduated, so he didn't have other classes to take.

Everyone is up in arms about Oden's schedule, but every one of his classes are required classes. It looked an awful lot like my schedule my freshman year.
                    My roommate is in Athletic Training. He puts in the same, if not more hours then the football players do. He gets there before they are there and leaves after they do a majority of the time as well as taking 15-18 hours of courses. ALL of the trainers have to do this so while they are paying to go to school and having to do all of this UNPAID why are they not giving money?

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by dabears10 View Post
                      My roommate is in Athletic Training. He puts in the same, if not more hours then the football players do. He gets there before they are there and leaves after they do a majority of the time as well as taking 15-18 hours of courses. ALL of the trainers have to do this so while they are paying to go to school and having to do all of this UNPAID why are they not giving money?
                      Good question. I think they should be too. But they also don't have to worry about life changing injuries.
                      I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
                      Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

No they shouldn't. They're getting a full ride through school.

Comment

Originally posted by ONUV View Post
                          you think the degrees they're getting are really "great" educations? the coaches want them to do as little as possible in the classroom.
                          You can lead a horse to water....

All the Universities (or society for that matter) is offer the opportunity.
                          After that, it's up to the individual to determine if it's "worth it".
                          ...and exactly what would the alternantive be if there were no programs
                          put in place for these kids ? ...I mean there are only so many janitors and
                          McDonalds employees needed.

Comment

Not enough ? If they were injured while playing football, then the players don't even need insurance themselves. The U picks those things up.
                            If not the U "officially" then the boosters money "somehow" manages to take care of those bills. They recieve educations that cost most students upwards of 50-80 grand a year (multiply by the # of years attending the schools) which only covers tuition and books.
                            They also recieve food vouchers, rooms, supplies..ect ect.
                            Furthermore they're "big men" on campuses..constant invites to parties, girls (or guys) constantly throwin 18 year old coochie on them...though this holds no "monitary" value..trust me non of them are turning it down.
                            I'm curious as to what actual argument you have for this.
                            I"m assuming you have facts figures and costs for all of this and a better arguement than "the University is getting money for it".

Is this anything more than a statement ? I'm sorry are we supposed to feel bad for these kids ???? Like I've stated before.
                            1) football isnt neccesary for them. It's a privilage that will benefit them in
                            more ways than not having it there for them.
                            2) If you don't like it, perhaps you should organize a protest to hault college athletics until they recieve payment....or better yet stop being a hypocrite by watching them.

Or how about give all athletes at each division the same amount, regardless of the sport or production. I haven't been an athlete yet(NEXT YEAR!!)
                            Your basis is that the football players "earn" the Universities money....so why exactly should the Chess team get the same flat rate. This is just so ignorant on so many levels it's not funny.
                            I do see though..that this is just you trying to dip your hand in the cookie jar. Thanks for the insight on that.

and I haven't taken more than 12 hours a semester. That is considered a full time student, so the athletes shouldn't have to take any more than that, which, SUPRISE!!! is the rule. Leinhart was an exception, because he had already graduated, so he didn't have other classes to take.
                            These kids also get individual tutoring while on the road (another expendature they're not required to pay for...hell some have the tutors do their work for them so they can go party) I'd like to know
                            if the "violin player" should also recieve the same personalized tutor service (free of charge of course) to travel with her/him while she decides to go to the lake for the weekend.

Comment

Not enough ? If they were injured while playing football, then the players don't even need insurance themselves. The U picks those things up.
                              If not the U "officially" then the boosters money "somehow" manages to take care of those bills. They recieve educations that cost most students upwards of 50-80 grand a year (multiply by the # of years attending the schools) which only covers tuition and books.
                              They also recieve food vouchers, rooms, supplies..ect ect.
                              Furthermore they're "big men" on campuses..constant invites to parties, girls (or guys) constantly throwin 18 year old coochie on them...though this holds no "monitary" value..trust me non of them are turning it down.
                              I'm curious as to what actual argument you have for this.
                              I"m assuming you have facts figures and costs for all of this and a better arguement than "the University is getting money for it".

Is this anything more than a statement ? I'm sorry are we supposed to feel bad for these kids ???? Like I've stated before.
                              1) football isnt neccesary for them. It's a privilage that will benefit them in
                              more ways than not having it there for them.
                              2) If you don't like it, perhaps you should organize a protest to hault college athletics until they recieve payment....or better yet stop being a hypocrite by watching them.

Your basis is that the football players "earn" the Universities money....so why exactly should the Chess team get the same flat rate. This is just so ignorant on so many levels it's not funny.
                              I do see though..that this is just you trying to dip your hand in the cookie jar. Thanks for the insight on that.

These kids also get individual tutoring while on the road (another expendature they're not required to pay for...hell some have the tutors do their work for them so they can go party) I'd like to know
                              if the "violin player" should also recieve the same personalized tutor service (free of charge of course) to travel with her/him while she decides to go to the lake for the weekend.
                              In case you haven't noticed, I never argued for a salary, just a larger stipend. I am not going to be on scholarship, so none of this would apply to me anyway; even though I think the stipend should apply to non-scholarship people also.

An extra stipend of a couple hundred a month is really too much to ask? Of course I would say just the athletes should get it, but that is a little hypocritical, isn't it? So any person who represents the University should get paid. 10-15k a year is sure a lot of money man...(SARCASM!!!) That is about what it comes out to.

Yes, that violin player should get free tutoring when he/she has to travel for a concert.

You have got to be ******** me about the big man on campus. That has nothing to do with the University, it has everything to do with women wanting the guys other women want. So of course the people who are more known on campus will get more *****.

With the injuries, I am not even talking about insurance. If you are playing sports you are covered by the school's insurance. But those injuries have a lasting affect on your life. One of my roommates has had two knee surgeries in a year, needless to say, he is done playing football. His knee is always going to bother him. The linemen who have to be big, that ***** with their knees too.

Hell, I don't give a damn if I even ever get a scholarship, I just want to play football. But it is unfair that athletes compensation isn't even equal to a somewhat decent internship.

Sounds like sour grapes to me man.
                              Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

i say no they shouldnt... a part of what makes college so great to watch is that they are playing for the love of the game and school. i mean they fight for extra yards give that extra effort, sure once the get into a junior and seanior year they may be trying harder to get money.. but the are still playing their best... we dont need anyone coasting because tehy already have money.... cough cough RANDY MOSS cough cough... i mean come on they are getting full rides, what more do you need

Sig By Diehardvikingfan

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information