Announcement

Collapse

***Recruiting Forum Rules - READ BEFORE POSTING***

The recruiting forum has gotten out of hand and we need to fix this right now. I admit that I myself may have slipped up in the past, but not anymore. The recruiting forum is not exempt from the rules for the rest of the forums. This is not a new rule, just a clarification of an existing one.

Links:

No factual information can be posted without a link to the source of that information. This means any time a player commits to a school, names a leader, drops a school from his list, etc. you must provide a link with your post. If you do not have a valid link supporting your information then keep it to yourself. Obviously, you don't need to link to your own personal opinions. Just make it clear that they are your opinions.

Acceptable Sources:

Most online newspapers and websites are acceptable. No premium information (info that you pay for) is to be posted. The only exception to that rule is if the information you are posting is in the header of a premium article, which is free for all to read. If the information is hidden behind the words "click here to subscribe," then don't even bother. Websites such as Buckeye Planet, IrishEvy, and MGoBlog are acceptable. However, only information from the articles/interviews/blog posts from these sites are permissible. Any information obtain on one of these sites' message boards should be assumed to be unreliable (even if you yourself trust it). Anything posted on Facebook is private information and should be treated that way.

Disciplinary Action:

Since this is a fresh reminder, everyone gets one freebie. The first time you break this rule, you will have your post deleted and that is it. If you break it a second time, your post will be deleted and you will get a warning. If you ignore the warning and break it a third time, you will receive an infraction.

Remember, these are Scott Wright's rules not mine. We want everyone to still have fun, but we can't keep ignoring the rules of the website.
See more
See less

The 2011 Recruiting Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keylime/OSU people do you have an info on Shane Wynn? There is a ton of mixed info on who UM likes as a slot WR (Eli Rogers is committed atm, some say he was only taken for Teddy and will be pushed out, other say he is definitely in this class) then there is some info Dorsett from STA has us first and now we might be offering Wynn at a camp this weekend. Any info is appreciated.

That is correct comahan
    I ******* LOVE YOU DG
    <3 dg

Comment

• The Gophers got a verbal from the biggest ginger ever to play QB

I think I just threw up
      SKOL VIKINGS!

Comment

• Originally posted by draftguru151 View Post
        Keylime/OSU people do you have an info on Shane Wynn? There is a ton of mixed info on who UM likes as a slot WR (Eli Rogers is committed atm, some say he was only taken for Teddy and will be pushed out, other say he is definitely in this class) then there is some info Dorsett from STA has us first and now we might be offering Wynn at a camp this weekend. Any info is appreciated.
        You're going to offer Wynn but not Arnett???

Comment

• Originally posted by Sniper View Post
          You're going to offer Wynn but not Arnett???
          I don't think anyone honestly knows what UM is doing for WR recruiting, but yea it looks like we're not interested in Arnett. I think Wynn is closer to a plan C than a kid that is going to get an offer in June though.

That is correct comahan
          I ******* LOVE YOU DG
          <3 dg

Comment

• Wynn has named Miami as his leader fairly recently, but being a Glenville guy most people assume he's angling for an offer and will end up at OSU either way. That's just people guessing, he says he likes the idea of playing with LaTwan Anderson down there, and Ginn Sr. has a good relationship with Miami's coaches. He is basically an elite kick return prospect with not quite as much upside as a slot receiver, but he is a true playmaker in DI Ohio ball. 5'6"/155, which is Michigan small.

Comment

• Ohio State just offered Massillon WR Devin Smith. Heck yeah.

Comment

• auburn picked up their 8th commit Mobile (Ala.) Davidson defensive end JaBrian Niles. he's 6'2 270. he will probably move inside to dt. he had offers from auburn, alabama, florida, florida state etc.

http://blog.al.com/goldmine/2010/06/..._niles_co.html

RIP, Sean Taylor.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sniper View Post
                  http://ohiostate.scout.com/a.z...2%2f974838.html

OSU's newest QB commit says one of the reasons he chose OSU is because OSU's coaching staff is the best at preparing QBs for the NFL. I'm at a loss of words here. Miller even uses Troy Smith as an example and points to Pryor's "development" last year.

Tremendous.
                  Why are you at a loss? Troy Smith was on Special Teams and is now in the NFL waiting for his chance to be a starter. He has performed well enough in his limited action. Pryor came to college with basically no coaching as a QB, and has improved his mechanics and footwork considerably since he's been at OSU.

Both QBs are perfect examples of being prepared for the NFL....rather than running a gimmicky read option offense that will almost guarantee that you aren't prepared for the NFL.

Comment

• Originally posted by HindSight View Post
                    Why are you at a loss? Troy Smith was on Special Teams and is now in the NFL waiting for his chance to be a starter.
                    I'm sorry. I expected Braxton Miller to want to be more of a backup QB.

He has performed well enough in his limited action.
                    Definie "well enough". Completing 54 percent of his career passes is pretty terrible.

Pryor came to college with basically no coaching as a QB, and has improved his mechanics and footwork considerably since he's been at OSU.
                    Must have missed that. He does a terrible job of following through on deep throws, severely lacks accuracy on his short and intermediate passes, and can't read a defense that isn't man-to-man.

Both QBs are perfect examples of being prepared for the NFL...
                    We have a different definition of perfection. A backup QB who couldn't beat out a rookie and a guy who has had one good passing game in college (against non-terrible teams) who had the majority of his fanbase clamoring for a move to WR after the Purdue game is FAR from perfect.

rather than running a gimmicky read option offense that will almost guarantee that you aren't prepared for the NFL.
                    The same "gimmicky read option offense" that's found its way into pro-style QB pipeline Ohio State's playbook? Jim Tressel wouldn't dream of doing things like the read option. I mean, you told me yourself that Pryor has made amazing strides and is the epitome of what a QB should be, so why would he ever run read-option?

Comment

• succeeding in the NFL and being prepared to play in the league are two different things. Pryor has looked a lot better passing the ball than he did as a freshman, or for that matter as he did before the end of the Purdue game last year...

Troy Smith was never expected to be a pro prospect at QB being 6 feet tall and so raw coming out of high school. I don't think Tressel could've done a better job at prepping Smith for the NFL than he did...and so far he's doing a good job with Pryor - who has the tools to play QB at the next level but showed up in Columbus with basically zero understanding of the mechanical fundamentals of the position. At least he's taking snaps from under center and calling audibles, reading defenses, and stuff like that now in a pro style offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
                        succeeding in the NFL and being prepared to play in the league are two different things. Pryor has looked a lot better passing the ball than he did as a freshman, or for that matter as he did before the end of the Purdue game last year.
                        He looked atrocious in passing the ball in the Game. He badly missed Posey on bombs at least twice and looked terrible in the short and intermediate game.

he's doing a good job with Pryor - who has the tools to play QB at the next level but showed up in Columbus with basically zero understanding of the mechanical fundamentals of the position.
                        Pryor completed 56.5 percent of his passes last year. For an offense that relies on a ton of short passes, that's terrible. It's also significantly lower than the 60.2 percent that he put up as a freshman. Pryor had a 3:1 TD:INT ratio as a freshman. He followed that up with 1.64:1 TD:INT ratio with 11 picks. His freshman ypa was 7.9. His sophomore ypa was 7.1 Far worse. QB rating was almost 30 points worse.

Progress, my ass.

Comment

• Also, the reason Troy Smith was drafted was because he was an athletic QB that would be servicable as a backup if they were desperate. The Ravens taking him likely had more to do with him as an athlete and based on potential moreso than how he was as a QB.

As for taking him from a STer to QB, yea that doesn't say much. He still wasn't a great QB in college. He was a fantastic athlete that played QB and did a pretty good job. As far as QB mechanics, decision making, etc. he really wasn't all that great. He succeeded because of his athleticism, much like Pryor will. He could beat teams with his feet, which allowed him to put up better passing stats than he otherwise would have. If you wanted a QB that would sit in the pocket, make reads, deliver accurate balls all over the field, Troy Smith wasn't your guy.

That's not to say he wasn't a terrific college player/QB, but the OSU coaching staff taking an athletic STer and making him an athletic QB really doesn't prove much since, while they did improve, his attributes such as decision making, accuracy, defensive reads really weren't at that high of a level.

Comment

• I fail to see where Michigan entered the equation. Maybe you can quote where Sniper said that Miller should've gone to U-M to be better prepared for the NFL, because I couldn't find it. Just because Michigan's offense is not pro-friendly, does not make Ohio State's staff the best at preparing quarterbacks for the NFL. The Wolverines and their offense are irrelevant.

Also, Troy Smith is terrible. He has shown nothing at all to indicate he is in line to become a starting quarterback or that he even deserves the opportunity to become one. The Ravens were so unimpressed with Smith that they traded up in the first round of the following draft to select Joe Flacco. I fail to see how one decent performance against a Steelers team that was resting half of its starters is "performing well enough" when he has been terrible almost every single other time he has seen the field. I'm happy for him that the Buckeye staff turned him from garbage into a Heisman winning college quarterback. He still sucks as a pro.

Comment

• Sniper & PL - You're seeing what you want to see wrt Pryor's development and Troy Smith's NFL ability. You're also not understanding what preparing somebody for the NFL means. It doesn't mean you will automatically become Peyton Manning. You both already know that, but then you couldn't keep banging that drum. For you two to scoff at the transformation of Troy Smith into a QB is just mind boggling. I'd actually like a better example of a running QB being more prepared for the NFL.

PL - I think you're the first person to mention Michigan....so I'm confused where you're coming from there.

treat - I think you're letting the Florida game cloud your memory on just how good of a QB Troy Smith was....and how much he progressed from a running QB to a passing one.

Comment

• Originally posted by HindSight View Post
                                Sniper & PL - You're seeing what you want to see wrt Pryor's development and Troy Smith's NFL ability. You're also not understanding what preparing somebody for the NFL means. It doesn't mean you will automatically become Peyton Manning.
                                So if you make a roster but suck, it's being "prepared for the NFL". Pretty weak.

You both already know that, but then you couldn't keep banging that drum. For you two to scoff at the transformation of Troy Smith into a QB is just mind boggling. I'd actually like a better example of a running QB being more prepared for the NFL.
                                Vince Young was drafted No. 1 overall and has several starts in the NFL as well as a winning record as a starter. Et tu, Troy?

PL - I think you're the first person to mention Michigan....so I'm confused where you're coming from there.
                                Originally posted by HindSight View Post
                                Both QBs are perfect examples of being prepared for the NFL....rather than running a gimmicky read option offense that will almost guarantee that you aren't prepared for the NFL.
                                Gee, I wonder what school an OSU fan would refer to in that manner.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information